Science Fiction Films discussion

All Star Superman

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 2 comments All Star Superman is a newly released direct to DVD animated Superman film. It is based on a graphic novel written by Grant Morrison and illustrated by Frank Quitely. Grant Morrison is one of the great writers of our time, and of the most fascinating minds. Morrison's All Star Superman has been called the definitive Superman story of the modern era.

The story starts out with a space mission gone awry. Superman must save the crew of a manned mission to the sun. In the course of this, Superman's cells are oversaturated with solar radiation, leaving his condition terminal.
Superman is dying.
It turns out the mission was sabotaged by Lex Luthor as part of an elaborate ploy to destroy Superman once and for all. And now Superman must come to terms that his life will soon be over.

The love story between Superman and Lois Lane in this film is particularly moving. It is handled very eloquently. For the extreme, fantastic nature of this film, it remains very grounded in real emotions and in an honest place.

It has been said by some that Superman is an uninteresting character, because he's simply too powerful, there are no real challenges for him.
Grant Morrison totally rejects that line of thought and fully embraces the awe inspiring grandeur of who Superman is. He maintains Superman as a compelling character because despite having the powers of a god, he is still a man, who can have his heart broken and who grieves and mourns the death of his father,

If you're someone who's never picked up a comic book in your life, and knows Superman primarily through the films and various TV incarnations, You will see a Superman here unlike any you have ever experienced. This is the man of steel at his most fantastic, most mythic, most epic.

Wired Magazine's web site reviewed this film and called it the smartest and most ambitious Superman film ever made. I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment.
Anyone who is a fan of science fiction, adventure, and mythologies must see this film.

All Star Superman is just out on DVD and is available on NetFlix. I'd be very curious to hear non-comic book readers take on this film. It is very faithful to the graphic novel.

Grant Morrison's All Star Superman story will give you a newfound appreciation for this cultural icon and what he means to our culture.

message 2: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 4 comments Cesar wrote: "All Star Superman is a newly released direct to DVD animated Superman film. It is based on a graphic novel written by Grant Morrison and illustrated by Frank Quitely. Grant Morrison is one of the g..."

I've never read a comic book or graphic novel, but have followed the Superman mythos via shows and movies and I intend to see this one after reading this review.

message 3: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 144 comments I was going to say I probably would have skipped this DVD in netflix, but the review makes it sound incredibly interesting.

I guess that is the beauty of this thread; it introduces us to movies and topics we might not pick up on our own.

message 5: by Bob (new)

Bob (shack) I've read the comic and watched the movie. The movie follows the comic very closely. Even though I enjoyed the Superman character I found someething about Lex Luthor not right.