Lit Lawvers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > The Imperfectionists Discussion--SPOILERS OKAY

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becki (new)

Becki (beckalina) | 73 comments So I finished the book. I don't really know what to say. Oliver was by far my favorite character and I was in tears at the end of his chapter.

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (ahealthyjd) I felt the same way! It took me a couple of hours to process the stories and how they tied together and then I realized I did like it.

I think my favorite character was Herman. I loved the "Bible" and kinda wish he existed in real life because I want to be his best friend, heh.

The story with Winston was so infuriating, I felt so bad for him!

Confession: that whole episode with Oliver's dog at the end of the book contributed to my bad mood when finishing it. Someone killing a dog really gets to me.

Anyhow, I just read on NYT that they are making this into a movie, I'm stoked!

message 3: by Becki (new)

Becki (beckalina) | 73 comments I totally thought this book would have been better as a movie!! That is so funny!

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona Just a few random thoughts...

Before I attended law school, I wanted to be a newspaper reporter, and to that end, I've had a few working experiences/internships at newspapers. My favorite aspect of the book was that some of the characters in this book were quite typical of their real-life counterparts (professionally, not personally, speaking).

A good example is Herman: at every newspaper I've worked/interned at, there's been at least one copy editor (usually the senior copy editor) who is a stickler for language usage, spelling, and grammar. A lot of newspapers have an external style guide (e.g. AP's style guide) for common issues but an internal guide may also be created for anything that could be specific to the newspaper. Depending on the copy editor who creates the entries, they can be quite snarky. They get various names but "Bible" is a common term.

Another good example is the "Accounts Payable" reference. At most of the newspapers I've worked at, the financial officers and news desk do not have a great relationship for various reasons. News editors/reporters feel like the business end limits their creativity and resources, and I suspect the financial officers think the news end is irresponsible with its resources (I don't really know because I've only been on the news end, and I don't remember ever talking to the financial officers except chitchat while picking up my paycheck). I think this was realistically well played in the final section from Oliver Ott's point of view - when it comes down to it, no one wants to be seen in a managerial position. It's much safer to be seen as someone "in the trenches" with the staff.

There was a lot about this book that didn't work for me. I don't have the best track record with loving short stories, and to me, this was more of a collection of somewhat related short stories than a novel. I can see how a person who does like short stories would like this book, so I think that's just a personal quirk.

The female characters really irritated me. They came off as needy, insecure, etc.. It wouldn't have bothered me as much if there were one or two like that, but it seems like none of the female characters had any redeeming qualities. By contrast, I think the male characters (e.g. Herman, Arthur, etc.) were a bit more well-rounded.

Like Jill, I also hated Oliver. Because the rest of the book was just "okay" to me, ending on that note really didn't help.

message 5: by Becki (new)

Becki (beckalina) | 73 comments Jill wrote: "I was just reading some reviews of this book and came across this one from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/boo...

Toward the end, Buckley says that the ..."

I LOVED Roald Dahl as a kid. But I can't quite say that the story is Dahl-esque. Maybe some of the descriptions of the characters. But I think I would have to re-read that chapter with that in mind to decide. It wasn't something that jumped out at me. Although now I'm curious and I want to look at that chapter again.

message 6: by Kaitlyn (last edited Mar 30, 2011 06:34PM) (new)

Kaitlyn Dennis (kaitlyndennis) | 15 comments Dahl wrote a bit of adult-oriented stories, some of which were a little creepy, I hear. Maybe that's what they're referring to?

Hmm, I can't say I really loved this book. I liked the premise and structure, but a few of the plot points seemed kind of contrived, especially the ending of the Abbey Pinnola chapter. And also the whole underlying thing with Ott and Betty. Meh.

Overall, I felt like there were several pretty good chapters, but none that really blew me away. I didn't really love the writing on sentence-level, either. Still, you could definitely tell the author had a good grasp of the running of a paper, which was interesting to me.

message 7: by Mona (new)

Mona I came across Tom Rachmann in a favorite book blog today and thought some of you might be interested. Even if I don't take or agree with the recommendations, I'm always curious to see what others have liked.

The Reading Life, an UK blog, does a regular feature that asks guests to name a favorite book, a book that changed his/her life, and a book that is underappreciated. This week, the guest is Rachmann: http://kimbofo.typepad.com/readingmat...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.