Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Challenges > Melina around the world challenge!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,108 (1108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

message 1: by Catie (last edited Mar 18, 2011 05:12PM) (new)

Catie (nematome) Hey all Melina Marchetta lovers -

Carmel, our beloved Australian member, has agreed to mail over a copy of The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta and I thought it would be fun to mail it around the world, so we can all read it.

So, who wants in? I think it would be fun if we each took a photo of it or ourselves with it next to a monument or famous location of some sort and maybe we can all write a little something inside the book as well.

Okay, so here's the list so far:

Carmel - Victoria, Australia
Catie - Virginia, USA
Cassi - Kentucky, USA
Wendy F - Michigan, USA
Arphaxad - Cambridge, UK
Jaimie - Colorado, USA
Becca - Utah, USA
Heidi I - Illinois, USA
Roshini - ?, Malaysia
Brittany - Colorado, USA (for now)
Jen - Colorado, USA

www.melinamarchetta.com

message 2: by Wendy F (last edited Mar 03, 2011 12:53PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I think this is a brilliant idea! I would totally be willing to join in! It's like, sisterhood of the traveling pants, except sooooooo much cooler!

message 3: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:43PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I'm in. And thanks to Carmel for your awesomeness!

message 4: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Count me in as well. And ditto to the above, Carmel and Catie! :D

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Catie too!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I want in too please. I can take a pretty mountain picture with mine! I don't know if you want to use one book or two, but I'd be willing to share mine too.

This idea rocks!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I've already said that I was in during the other thread.

I think it'll be fun!

message 8: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments I'm in too!

message 9: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha! Traveling pants is exactly what I was thinking of too. Is there anything else you guys want to do with this? How do you want to determine the order?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I think it should be somewhat logical. There are two books? Where will they be? From the things I read in this thread it seems like we may be sending this book to multiple continents. Maybe try to go through one continent then jump to the next? Or one book US, one book Europe?

We need to have a rule that if you receive the book it goes to the TOP of your TBR pile. THE VERY TOP. Because well...there's a queue.

Other than that the book should clearly come to Kentucky first. Because everything else reaches us last and it would be a nice change. (Just kidding! Kind of!)

message 11: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Well, actually...Kentucky might be the closest state to me, right? I'm not sure where the rest of you all live, but Kentucky and VA are right next to each other so you might get your wish Cassi!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments YES! I'm in Southeastern KY so I'm SUPER close to Virginia. (Well okay not super close but I go hiking at Cumberland Gap sometimes and its in KY, VA & TN.

message 13: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments Ok you guys, this is going to be fun!! I will send to Catie first. I suggest we have a coment which has a list, like:
Carmel - Victoria, Australia
Catie - VA USA (whatever you guys write - not sure)
etc
etc
etc
and then we can work out the best path.
I think one book going around would be better but I don't know how many people want on come on board. This will be a very quick read to, as it is a children's book and not like the size of the novels most of you read, so the time taken won't be massive.
So Catie if you want to edit your first comment and add the locations from what people add in a comment we can then keep them all nicely grouped. What do you think everyone?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Cassi- Kentucky USA

message 15: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm sort of lost, but I think at this point I should go...

Wendy: Michigan, USA

I'm down for one or two books, I think starting one in the US and one overseas is a great idea.

message 16: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Me: Cambridge, UK

message 17: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments I live next to Brittany in Silverthorne, CO USA

message 18: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Pick me! Pick me!

Becca: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Becca wrote: "Pick me! Pick me!

Becca: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA"

I think the good news is that we all get picked at some point!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Heidi - Illinois (near Kentucky and Michigan :)

message 21: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Any chance you can include Malaysia in this loop? I know it's quite a distance away;-)

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Roshini wrote: "Any chance you can include Malaysia in this loop? I know it's quite a distance away;-)"

I don't see why not.

message 23: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Thanks Cassi! Please put me in the loop:-)

message 24: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Too bad there isn't a way to get some kind of image of each city in the book. Like a postcard or something.

message 25: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Would be nice if we could each write something we felt while reading the book and stuck in between pages where there was a good quote or something. Just throwing ideas out there:-)

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I can get a postcard of a landmark near my city. I was already planning on doing that. It's suppose to be a SURPRISE lol.

I have an obsession with postcards.

message 27: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) LOL! It sounds like we were thinking alike.

message 28: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, I was thinking that too - it would be cool if we could construct some kind of souvenir or something that we each get at the end, like maybe a bookmark? I was thinking that we could include something from each place, like a sticker or a stamp or something like that. Maybe I'll fashion together some "blank" type bookmarks and we can each add something. Then at the end, distribute? Anyway, I'm rambling.

Right now I'll just start adding people to the list at the top and when everyone's in we can try to organize it!

message 29: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Oh, and Roshini - I think the more the merrier! It would be awesome if we passed this thing along all over the world!

message 30: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) My husband was teasing me last night because I was telling him how excited I was about this.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) How about we all get a local post card and write our thought on it and stick them in the book???

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I love that idea Heidi.

Consequently I'm Brittany Colorado, USA who will soon be in Utah, USA. (I think)

message 33: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha! For a second there I thought you were saying that you live in Brittany, Colorado. I was like, "wow, that's sooo weird that the town she lives in is exactly like her name...oh wait no, I'm just an idiot."

Congrats on getting into your new school Brittany!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I second that congrats!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Thanks ladies. I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools before I make a final decision, but it's looking like Utah is where I'll be. It has mountains which is a BIG plus in my book.

Sorry Catie, no Brittany, CO around here, but there is a town called No Name, CO. Not kidding. I think Jaimie can back me up on this one. Oh the irony. Here is also a Craig, CO so if anyone is named Craig and lives there the same idea applies...

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments We have a place in Kentucky called Monkey's Eyebrow. And my family originally comes from Stinking Creek KY. There is also a Troublesome Creek KY where there are actually blue people (actually know there is medicine for this particular genetic abnormality)

Sorry totally off topic. But something interesting. I love weird town names.

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen Halligan (bookandlatte) | 44 comments This is such an AWESOME idea. (I absolutely love the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series)! I would love to participate though there seems to already be a couple of peeps from Colorado. I live in SW Denver...

I love the ideas of including a postcard and maybe inserting sticky notes on pages with our thoughts/gushiness about a passage.

I also think that when the book has completed its travels, it'd be great to send something to Melina Marchetta about it!

message 38: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) That's a cool idea Jen - I never thought about that. Maybe we could send some of the photos and try not to make it too stalker-ish, LOL.

message 39: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments Jen & Catie, I had been thinking that I would do something re contacting Melina's "people" ha ha, but hadn't said anything as I wanted to get the book on the road first, which should happen today:)
Catie, I thought it might be a good idea to ensure your copy of the book doesn't get battered to much that you may want to cover it in clear contact (I'm a bit fanatical about covering my books I share, seems to make them survive the journey, ha ha) Anyway, hope to get this moving today, had intended to do it on Sat but just didn't happen!!

message 40: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Don't sweat it Carmel. I will have to look into some clear contact, as I have no experience using anything like that (because I don't really take care of my books that well - I admit it). That's a good idea though.

message 41: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments Just letting you know that the book is very sweet, about overcoming fears, making new friends, a lovely book for parents to read to their children and for you all to have a bit of a giggle at some of the funny bits and it will make you smile. Lovely story by Melina, yet again!

message 42: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yay! I can't wait to read it!

message 43: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments Glad to hear it Catie:)

message 44: by Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) (last edited Mar 06, 2011 07:14PM) (new)

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I had the same thought about contacting Melina. Maybe we could set up a blog and share all our photos with the book or something, but I also wanted to get things rolling first.

Ladies, we are a force of nature! I love it!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Brittany wrote: "I had the same thought about contacting Melina. Maybe we could set up a blob and share all our photos with the book or something, but I also wanted to get things rolling first.

Ladies, we are a..."

I have to laugh at the "blob" because that's exactly the type of typo I make almost everyday.

Here's my questions about postcards. Do they all stay in the book till the end or do they just go to the next location? It might be neat if we all get a postcard souvenir of this books adventure.

message 46: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, maybe the post card could be written to the next person on the list (by the previous person).

message 47: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 640 comments If we do that with the card do we just want to write our names in the front cover of the book, so there is some record of who has recieved & read it?

message 48: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Yeah, I agree. If we do that we should write in the book so that it's got a collection.

And telling Melina about this is an awesome idea!

message 49: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Oh no, tell me it's not too late to sign up!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Peep wrote: "Oh no, tell me it's not too late to sign up!"

We said "RIght before Peep joins we are cutting it off" except not really. I don't even think the book has left Australia yet so you should be safe to join.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23