Gone With the Wind Fans discussion

GWTW--Novel > Favorite Passage(s)?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 110 comments Mod
It's always interesting to learn what people love about their favorite books. Please tell us your favorite passages from GWTW and why you love them. This should be interesting!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 19 comments I just recently re-read GWTW and I find there are passages there I like now that I didn't notice or skimmed the first time. I will have to get back to post the exact passage but one of my faves now is the quotes from Rhett right before the narrator says new Atlanta liked him no better than old Atlanta.

message 3: by Laura (last edited Mar 08, 2011 10:15AM) (new)

Laura | 110 comments Mod
Although this encompasses many chapters, the burning of Atlanta/birth of Bo section to the arrival back at Tara is, to me, the most well written part of the novel. It's riveting, emotional, disturbing--everything you would want in a great novel.

I also love this passage near the end when Scarlett, Rhett, Ashley, Melanie, etc. are celebrating Scarlett's selling of the lumber mill to Ashley. Their discussion of whether someone can be happy if they live on the enforced labor of other is very telling: Ashley says no one can be happy if they achieve wealth that way, and no one in the scene is happy. Quite powerful.

There are many others, too. The bazaar scene, which is also my favorite part of the movie (although it's much better in the book) is hilarious and dark at the same time.

I'll post some actual quotes when I have more time.

message 4: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela Halic (gabrielahalic) | 2 comments “Observe my hands, my dear. I could tear you to pieces with them. And I’d do it if it’d take Ashley out of your mind forever. But it wouldn’t. So I’ll remove him from your mind forever, this way. I’ll put my hands so. One on each side of your head. And I’ll smash your skull between them like a walnut. And that’ll block him out.”

I love this one beause it shows how much and desperately Rhett loved Scarlett.

message 5: by Chelsea (last edited Sep 16, 2013 11:03AM) (new)

Chelsea | 7 comments "She turned away and started back toward the house across the rough fields, twisting her hair into a knot upon her neck. Ashley watched her go and saw her square her small thin shoulders as she went. And that gesture went to his heart, more than any words she had spoken."

Because it shows me so clearly that Scarlett is tough as nails. Misguided though she may be, when her best hopes are dashed, she squares her shoulders, puts herself in order, and moves on.

"She loved him, scamp, blackguard, without scruple or honor--at least, honor as Ashley saw it. "Damn Ashley's honor!" she thought. "Ashley's honor has always let me down. Yes, from the very beginning when he kept on coming to see me, even though he knew his
family expected him to marry Melanie. Rhett has never let me down, even that dreadful night of Melly's eception when he ought to have wrung my neck. Even when he left me on the road the night Atlanta fell, he knew I'd be safe. He knew I'd get through somehow. Even when he acted like he was going to make me pay to get that money from him at the Yankee camp. He wouldn't have taken me. He was just testing me. He's loved me all along and I've been so mean to him. Time and again, I've hurt him and he was too proud to show
it. And when Bonnie died-- Oh, how could I?" "

"Suddenly she felt strong and happy. She was not afraid of the darkness or the fog and she knew with a singing in her heart that she would never fear them again. No matter what mists might curl around her in the future, she knew her refuge. She started briskly
up the street toward home and the blocks seemed very long. Far, far too long. She caught up her skirts to her knees and began to run lightly. But this time she was not running from fear. She was running because Rhett's arms were at the end of the street."

Because it shows me Scarlett can grow. Maybe not change her nature, but come to know herself better. Because every time I read it, I hope harder than ever that Rhett will come back to her in the end.

"A sense of time and reality coming back to her,
Scarlett looked up and saw Melanie at the top of the stairs, clad only in the ragged chemise which served her as a nightgown, her weak arm weighed down with Charles' saber."

Because Melanie is also tough as nails, and so brave.

"'Tis firm that I am and back to Tara you'll be going tomorrow before you're disgracing the lot of us again. Don't cry, pet. Look what I've brought you! Isn't that a pretty present? See, look! How could you be putting so much trouble on me, bringing me all the way up here when 'tis a busy man I am? Don't cry!""

Because Gerald is so dear!

And, though they break my heart, perhaps because they break my heart, these two:

"And the fiah light up the place lak it wuz day--we wuz scared the house would buhn, too, and it wuz so bright in this hyah room that you could mos' pick a needle offen the flo'. And w'en the light shine in the winder, it look lak it wake Miss Ellen up and she set right up in bed and cry out loud, time and again: 'Feeleep! Feeleep!' I ain' never heerd no sech name but it wuz a name and she wuz callin' him."

"He flung up a hand in mock horror and his black brows went up in the old sardonic crescents.

"Don't look so determined, Scarlett! You frighten me. I see you are contemplating the transfer of your tempestuous affections from Ashley to me and I fear for my liberty and my peace of mind. No, Scarlett, I will not be pursued as the luckless Ashley was pursued. Besides, I am going away.""

And, because it gives me the faintest glimmer of hope:

"She lifted her chin and managed to ask quietly:

"Where will you go?"

There was a faint gleam of admiration in his eyes as he answered."

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 7 comments Last one, I promise!

"Doctor," Mrs. Meade hesitated, "what did it look like?"

"What are you saying, Mrs. Meade?"

"Her house. What did it look like? Are there cut-glass
chandeliers? And red plush curtains and dozens of full-length gilt
mirrors? And were the girls--were they unclothed?"

"Good God!" cried the doctor, thunderstruck, for it had never
occurred to him that the curiosity of a chaste woman concerning her
unchaste sisters was so devouring. "How can you ask such immodest
questions? You are not yourself. I will mix you a sedative."

"I don't want a sedative. I want to know. Oh, dear, this is my
only chance to know what a bad house looks like and now you are
mean enough not to tell me!"

"I noticed nothing. I assure you I was too embarrassed at finding
myself in such a place to take note of my surroundings," said the
doctor formally, more upset at this unsuspected revelation of his
wife's character than he had been by all the previous events of the
evening. "If you will excuse me now, I will try to get some
sleep."

"Well, go to sleep then," she answered, disappointment in her
tones. Then as the doctor leaned over to remove his boots, her
voice spoke from the darkness with renewed cheerfulness. "I
imagine Dolly has gotten it all out of old man Merriwether and she
can tell me about it."

"Good Heavens, Mrs. Meade! Do you mean to tell me that nice women
talk about such things among them--"

"Oh, go to bed," said Mrs. Meade.

Hilarious.

message 7: by Risha (new)

Risha | 6 comments I can't copy paste the passage or name any one (I love the whole book!) but the part where Scarlett clutches the southern mud and promises to herself that she would never be hungry again. That right there is Scarlett for you in one scene alone

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda | 19 comments I have always loved the end of the book when Rhett explains everything to Scarlett. It's so poignant... so much hurt, so much love lost, so much gone, not just their relationship but their lives as they knew it.