A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Official pub date announced for ADWD

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 3 comments Bantam Spectra has announced that A Dance With Dragons will be released on July 12, 2011. Apparently the book is still not officially done, but is close enough that they feel okay publicizing an official date (the first time that's happened; everything else has been guesses.)

Personally, I'll believe it when I'm holding the book in my own grubby little hands.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/d...
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-upda...

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) This is awesome news. Thank you for posting it, Beth.

I have some faith. Like you, I've been sceptical in waiting years and years for this book.

But I will make one note. All those previous release dates were Amazon fabrications. GRRM himself never committed to any of them. He always said on his website that when it is a "real" date, he'll post it there.

Well, that second link is where he posted it there.

Winter is Coming, say true.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Oh wow, thanks for sharing!

On one hand, I'm trying not to get too excited. On the other hand, holy crap, my heart is doing cartwheels. This is awesome news!!!

message 4: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments Great news!

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments It's about freaking time.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 33 comments Now maybe the hate mail will stop.

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments well until the book is physically in my hands, that is just tentative.

message 8: by Lina (new)

Lina Al-Midfa YAY!
I'm so excited... finally!!

message 9: by Christy (new)

Christy | 57 comments i hope it's true!

message 10: by Clark (new)

Clark Coston (tesko) | 44 comments So I guess pretty soon people will start complaining that The Winds of Winter isn't coming out fast enough.

message 11: by Christy (new)

Christy | 57 comments I'm sure authors would much rather deal with people complaining about how long it takes than deal with the reality of people not caring whether or not another book comes out.

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) What? The book after Dance isn't out yet?!?!? *boycotts*

message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments hehehee, 6 years between books isn't exactly timely. I stand by what i said before, it's about freaking time.

message 14: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments The book is 900 pages, it's going to be one long reading marathon:)

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I have never read a book that was 900 pages.

message 16: by Mach (last edited Mar 05, 2011 08:01AM) (new)

Mach | 198 comments Lord of the Rings is 900+ pages, haven't you read it?
Hardcover books that are over 900 pages can be pretty heavy in weight, and can be a bit annoying to hold for a long period of time.

message 17: by Clark (new)

Clark Coston (tesko) | 44 comments Hardcover books that are over 900 pages can be pretty heavy in weight, and can be a bit annoying to hold for a long period of time."

Which is why I have preordered both the hardcover for my collection and the Kindle version for actual reading.

message 18: by Jon (new)

Jon (FTSJ) | 41 comments HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAY

message 19: by Patricio (new)

Patricio | 9 comments great , great , great I´m very happy

message 20: by Katarina (new)

Katarina (nymeriaa) | 5 comments Can't wait :)

message 21: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments Machavelli wrote: "Lord of the Rings is 900+ pages, haven't you read it?
Hardcover books that are over 900 pages can be pretty heavy in weight, and can be a bit annoying to hold for a long period of time."

I haven't read Lord of the Rings because I can't stand Lord of the Rings. I don't care for Tolkein. Never did.

message 22: by Raindog (new)

Raindog | 1 comments I'm lucky... I finished AFFC's just last June, so I'll only have had to wait a year.

Does anyone have a methodone list for GRRM?

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) Awesome news indeed! Let's just hope it actually comes out.

Now I'm going to have to reread the series. But I'm going to startr with Clash of Kings, as I recently reread A Game of Thrones.

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) Clark wrote: "Hardcover books that are over 900 pages can be pretty heavy in weight, and can be a bit annoying to hold for a long period of time."

Which is why I have preordered both the hardcover for my collec..."

I think I'll be doing the exact same thing. The hardcover for my collection, the Kindle version for my eyes and hands. LOL

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) http://grrm.livejournal.com/

Does the latest entry mean what I think it means? Is DwD done? Oh please please please say it means it's done!!!

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Methinks it does...

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (elensar) | 5 comments That is certainly what it implies.

message 28: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I thought it was already done when they finally confirmed the publication date.

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (elensar) | 5 comments I wonder if he knows how many volumes he intends to write, or if it just evolves as it goes along.

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I thought it was already done when they finally confirmed the publication date."

He said it wasn't done then, but close enough to announce the publication date. Now it looks like it's done done!

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Barbara wrote: "I wonder if he knows how many volumes he intends to write, or if it just evolves as it goes along."

He plans on it being seven volumes...

message 32: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I'll believe this when I hold the book in my hands. (By which I mean hold my Nook in my hands with a copy I found on the side of the information superhighway.) That being said, my boyfriend and I are going to start a reread of the series soon :)

I will most likely actually buy this if I can get it for my Nook right away. Probably a better option than us buying two dtb versions.

message 33: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I have faith. Winter is coming all over again :D

message 34: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments Winter coming is not really a good thing.

message 35: by Dawn (last edited Apr 27, 2011 01:48PM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Summer is coming? Dragons are summery, kind of. Hot at least...

message 36: by Mark (new)

Mark (markzaku) PRAISE R'HLLOR~

Man, I can still find posts I made online in 2006 (!) where I think A Dance with Dragons is coming out soon. That is depressing.

message 37: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments hahahaha

message 38: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments I used to ask if any date had been set for this book every time I went to a book store. That habit stopped about two years ago!! So excited if this actually happens!!! He has said this one is going to be about as long as SoS, and that book was 1200(ish) pages, so I'm pretty stoked.

message 39: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) I only have one word. YES! Oh, and WOOHOO!!!

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I'll believe it when I have it in my hands too. Oh wait. I mean, I'll believe it when everyone else has it in their hands and I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive because Amazon sends everything through FedEx Smartpost and it sits there for 10 days before it ships anywhere.

Yeah.

message 41: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments hahahaha

message 42: by Beth (new)

Beth | 3 comments Chris wrote: "I'll believe it when I have it in my hands too. Oh wait. I mean, I'll believe it when everyone else has it in their hands and I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive because Amazon sends everything ..."
Amazon Prime Free Trial? Then at least you get it in only 2 days! Maybe if you're lucky, they'll treat this release much like the Harry Potter releases - those who preorder automatically get free release-day delivery. (I feel your pain about SmartPost, though)

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) From what I've read on the amazon site, people in the Prime program are getting stuff stuck in SmartPost too.

message 44: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) So far I've not had any trouble

message 45: by Beth (new)

Beth | 3 comments Chris wrote: "From what I've read on the amazon site, people in the Prime program are getting stuff stuck in SmartPost too."
It probably depends on your area of the country which shipping company Amazon uses; but the whole point of Prime is that you get your stuff in 2 days, or 1 day if you pay the extra $4 per item. I really hope Amazon isn't shipping Prime stuff via SmartPost which is practically designed to take a lot longer than that.

Thankfully I'll be buying it in e-format (which I assume comes out the same day; I'll be quite annoyed if it does not) so my only concern will be that the entire internet and cellular data networks don't go down that day :)

message 46: by Mark (new)

Mark (markzaku) With the Amazon Prime ongoing free trial thing, I was able to get release date delivery (July 12) for ADWD for free. Definitely something to check out if anyone's still looking to order it.

message 47: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I have Prime, never had a problem. Free two day, and cheap one day shipping.

message 48: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) OK. That came from their forums, where people like to complain just to have something to do. But even paying for Prime...I have a big issue paying for fast delivery after they've intentionally let stuff sit in transit to annoy me into paying more. Annoying your customer is never a good way to go. If I had to do all that, I'd switch to B&N or something on principle.

message 49: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) http://suvudu.com/2011/04/yes-it-is-d...

Confirmation of what GRRM alluded to earlier.

message 50: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments As per his blog Not A Blog
http://grrm.livejournal.com/212603.html

KONG IS DEAD! I saw that yesterday and did a happy dance.

« previous 1