English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Pre-August 2012 Revival > March 2011: Elizabeth George - A Great Deliverance

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Introducing the thread for discussion of the March 2011 BotM title: Elizabeth George 'A Great Deliverance'.

Happy reading and looking forward to discussion at the end of March!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

looking forward to reading this nove

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Me too-- it's one of the few books of hers that I don't think I've read.

message 4: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) It's actually the first of hers I've read, but I'm enjoying it so far.

message 5: by Eswope (new)

Eswope | 4 comments It's pretty good so far. I'm about 3/4's of the way through.

message 6: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I just finished it. Can't wait for the discussion.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Well - I've just started and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. Looks like some of you are way ahead of me...even better is that it sounds like I'm not the only one looking forward to talking about it! :-)

message 8: by Eswope (new)

Eswope | 4 comments Finished it last night. Wow.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night last night and picked it up to for a bit and got so caught up I read for about an hour and a half...in the middle of the night! That's always a good sign...it's just a good thing I could sleep in this morning! :-)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Half-way point in the month...hope all the BotM readers are enojying this month's read. If you're reading it with us and we haven't heard from you - feel free to post here that you're on board as well. The more, the merrier...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

finished book on 16th. really enjoyed it but thought ending was rushed

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 27, 2011 01:09PM) (new)

Hope everyone is just about done reading this month's book...I'll post a list to get us started talking about it on the 31st of the Month. Can't wait to see what everyone thought about it! :-)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Here we go...discussion time all! (Sorry for being a day late...still cannot believe it's ALREADY April!)

A few questions to get started:
* Did you love it or hate it?
* Do you have a favorite scene?
* Do you have a favourite character (esp. if you'renew to the series)?
* Is the book as good or better than the TV series (if you've seen them)?
* Did you find a new favourite English-ism or new word or new phrase or new slang?
* Would you read the rest of the series...or have you already?
* Is Elizabeth George a new favorite?

That's probably more than enough to get us started! Can't wait to see the responses!

message 14: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Thomas wrote: "finished book on 16th. really enjoyed it but thought ending was rushed"

I concur

message 15: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) * Did you love it or hate it?

I would say I am somewhere in between. I enjoyed it, but something kept me from loving it. As Thomas said above, the ending was rushed.

* Do you have a favorite scene?

The scene where Lynley discovers all of the drawings and paintings in Ezra's cottage was rather vivid IMO. I really enjoyed the initial scene where Deborah & Simon arrive at the Manor; the proprietor is a great character.

* Do you have a favourite character (esp. if you're new to the series)?

I liked Malcolm Webberly quite a bit. Barbara as well, once I got into the book.

* Is the book as good or better than the TV series (if you've seen them)?

N/A

* Did you find a new favourite English-ism or new word or new phrase or new slang?

Not that I recall, but it's been a month and I have read a *lot* of English books.

* Would you read the rest of the series...or have you already?

I intend to read more at least. My TBR list is massive, so who knows if I'll make it through the series.

* Is Elizabeth George a new favorite?

I wouldn't say favorite, but I will definitely read more of her stuff.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 41 comments SarahElektra wrote: "Introducing the thread for discussion of the March 2011 BotM title: Elizabeth George 'A Great Deliverance'.

Happy reading and looking forward to discussion at the end of March!"

Our library system is installing the new Polaris system and for the last 3 weeks they would not process
holds. Will not until the 10th of April so never got the book . Darn! but the new system will be great.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

All - apologies for the dropping the book (so to speak) on the discussion this month! As I've mentioned in another thread - it's been a hectic month because of family demands as a result of my elderly grandmother who just turned 96 (!!!) and aging parents with health problems. Still - I wanted to add my much-delayed two pence about the book.

I loved it! I've read others in the series but not this first one so it was great to read about how the team of Havers/Lynley originated. I think that was my favorite part about this one...I loved all of Barbara's internal dialog about everything!

I have seen a few of the TV episodes that have come out but I always prefer the books...just so much more detail! To be fair, the TV shows are enjoyable fluff but the books just have more depth which is to be expected.

Elizabeth George is already a bit of a favorite of mine but this has made me want to backtrack and read them in order. So I might have to get the second one for lunch time reading at work or something.

Would anyone else like to add anything? I know there was quite a bit of feedback as we were reading but I'd hate to close the thread if anyone else would like to comment!

And Denae - thank you for your great review! :-)

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 41 comments Elizabeth George's book still has not come from the library. Very disappointed!

I read somewhere that she lived in Washington state?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes...you're probably hooked on Elizabeth George by now. She is definitely one of my favorites! :-)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep - they are addictive that way! Enjoy!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.