Amazon Kindle discussion

Menu font size on the Kindle DX versus Kindle 3 with WiFi and G3

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I have decided to buy a Kindle. I need this to get a bigger font size than that which is usually available in books! In the Kindle menus you cannot choose or change to different font sizes. I am wondering if the menu font size, which cannot be altered, is the same in the two models, Kindle 3 with WiFi and G3 and the larger screened model Kindle DX?

I have to be able to read the menus. Could somebody say what size the menu font size corresponds to in a Word document? Is it bigger or smaller than 14pts? How many pts would you estimate it to be.

I appreciate your help very much! Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) This is exactly why I bought a Kindle. You're right that you can't change the menu font - I hope Amazon will have the sense to fix this in a future software update. It's probably about 12pt. The saving grace for me is that the K3 can read out the menu text. I haven't seen a DX so can't comment on that.

message 3: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Rachel, is it only the menu where you pick the book you want to read that is restricted or are there other places where you cannot change the font size? Isn't there a place where you can leave notes or mark sections of the book you are reading? I wonder if this is also restricted?

Thank you for your help!

I can always use a mangnifying glass if I have difficulty with these menus. I hope somebody here has the bigger version. Could that one's menu font be larger?!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) When you type in a note, it shows up in small font, but when you review your highlights later it's in whatever font you've selected. Similarly the dictionary snippet when you highlight a word is small, but you can click through to the full dictionary and get your normal fonts. On the browser you have a zoom function - 'article mode' is handy for web pages. I find PDFs hard work and usually use a free online service to convert them to mobi. Descriptions/reviews on the Kindle store are tiny but I find I can use it to download a book if I know what I want.

On regular reading, you can also pick your preferred font (serif or sans) and change the line spacing a bit.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone with a DX, they're not available in the UK but sometimes I think I should order one from the States to get the bigger screen.

Rachel

message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Rachel, so it seems manageable..... Are you annoyed at needing to turn the page all the time? I thought the smaller Kindle was best b/c it is easier to take everywhere with you. I am always reading. Where you buy the Kindle seems to set up where you can purchase your ebooks. I have sent an email to Amazon about this question. I also asked them if the DX had the same font size in the unchangeable menus as in the Kindle 3.

I must say, having never used a Kindle,I don't understand now all your instructions! I DO understand what is small.

Thank you Rachel

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen | 60 comments I already sent Amazon feedback about the menu font. If more people send feedback about it, it will become more of a priority for them. Karen

message 7: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I sent them an email too. I discovered that the same thing applies to a Sony ereader.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) Chrissie wrote: "Rachel, so it seems manageable..... Are you annoyed at needing to turn the page all the time? I thought the smaller Kindle was best b/c it is easier to take everywhere with you. I am always reading..."

I don't mind the page-turns, but I use the second-largest font size and I only get five short lines on the screen (I find it easier to read with the screen rotated) so I wondered whether it would be good to have a DX at home, and keep the smaller one for travel. I haven't made my mind up yet, though :)

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Rachel,this is my first Kindle. I want the practicality of a small one that I can take everywhere. I can do exactly as you have. If I am pleased, which I think I will be, I can buy another one later, one that is larger to have only at home. Cross your fingers for me. it is scary buying it and living in europe. I will have less ebooks available than you have and they will cost more. I still want one because of my lousy vision! I am happy they exist!

message 10: by Tori (new)

Tori | 7 comments I have the DX and my kids have the K3. When I have them both on the home page the DX font is maybe one point larger than the K3 BUT the K3 is more clear. They improved the eInk technology in the K3 and it is almost easier to read even though the font is a touch smaller.

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Tori, that makes me feel really good. I am about to order the K3. I figured I wanted to have a Kindle I can easily take everywhere with me. In just a few minutes we will order it. I am so very, very excited. I appreciate your checking this for me. I am buying a Kindle due to lousy vision. I feel so happy that I have found a solution. sooner or later I believe Kindle will increase the font in the menu too!

I have to go tell my husband what you siad. I already told my dog Oscar. I am bubbling over with excitement!

message 12: by Tori (new)

Tori | 7 comments Your welcome, Chrissie (& Oscar). Enjoy your new Kindle.

message 13: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Tori, I am so excited! It should come next week. I hope the instructions are easy to understand. Since you have bought two Kindles, can you move the books from one Kindle to the other? This is assuming both Kindles are registered under the same name.

message 14: by Tori (new)

Tori | 7 comments It's very easy to move books from one kindle to another. I have three kids with kindles and my own on one account and I can easily move books between us. The amazon website makes it easy to do most anything on the kindle.

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Tori, that sounds great. I guess Amazon can see that you are not "lending" the book to someone else? I didn't think you could lend books to other people with Kindles. I have a lot to learn...... Maybe my husband will get one too.That is great if we can move them around between us.

message 16: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) Chrissie, you can actually lend certain books (the ones that allow lending) to other people with Kindles, but you can only lend once and it only lasts for two weeks. Still, it's pretty cool and I hope they improve that in the future. But if you have multiple Kindles on one account it doesn't count as lending because it's all the same account.

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Clare, now I understand. Thanks. I should get my Kindle this week. I am very excited. Living in Europe, I do not think I will have at all as many freebies as Americans have. This doesn't matter. I have heard that sometimes the free books are abridged. Is this true? Do they tell you they are abridged? Thanks for your help. I simply cannot wait until it arrives.