Readers Against Prejudice and Racism discussion

Group Discussions > Prejudice against people with disabilities

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 688 comments Mod
Hello everyone! I was wondering how you feel about people that are sometimes rejected from the norm of society because of their disabilities?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Ronyell wrote: "Hello everyone! I was wondering how you feel about people that are sometimes rejected from the norm of society because of their disabilities?"

This is a hard subject which bothers me quite a bit. So many people lack basic compassion.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for starting this thread Ronyell.

message 4: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

You're welcome Lavender! Prejudice against people with disabilities is the same as having prejudice against people who are different races or genders.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ronyell wrote: "You're welcome Lavender! Prejudice against people with disabilities is the same as having prejudice against people who are different races or genders."

I see it that way also.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2011 10:00PM) (new)

A few books that explain some disabilities. I have many online friends with these.....myself included. when I got sick there was no one who could tell me what I had!

The E.I. Syndrome: An Rx for Environmental Illness

Osler's Web: Inside the Labyrinth of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Most of these are not really recognized by the AMA! A Dr. in AZ said CFIDS does NOT even exist. I can't think of his name at the moment.....he is supposedly the radical harvard doc.

He wrote Eight Weeks to Optimum Health which I did read.Eight Weeks to Optimum Health

message 9: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Thank you so much for providing these books Lavender! It's great learning more about the disabilities that people have to cope with so that way we can have a better understanding of the disability.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Ronyell wrote: "Thank you so much for providing these books Lavender! It's great learning more about the disabilities that people have to cope with so that way we can have a better understanding of the disability."

Well, the sad thing is there are so many. I remember a friend in college...her hubby had dyslexia and so in art classes I would take my notes and his notes too so she could coach him in Art History classes. I had never heard of dyslexia before and he had to try to explain it to me. I now know that toxic chemicals in today's environment can cause it.

message 11: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Wow! I didn't know that! That's interesting news to me.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ronyell wrote: "Wow! I didn't know that! That's interesting news to me."

I learned that from my environmental illness doctor. She treated me for six years and probably saved my life.
Our environment today is so toxic that it is making many of us ill.

message 13: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Yeah. There's just too many building of factories that the smoke pollutes the air and causes hazards to everyone. It's a shame that there is rarely a regard to the enviroment nowandays.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Ronyell wrote: "Yeah. There's just too many building of factories that the smoke pollutes the air and causes hazards to everyone. It's a shame that there is rarely a regard to the enviroment nowandays."

Perfume is a hazard for those with asthma and migraine too. Its no longer natural but mostly synthetic. Some are like gasoline! The most deadly one is Eternity. Dr. Sherry Rogers father died due to an exposure to perfume. It caused his heart to stop. She wrote about it in one of her books.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Burro's TortillasTerri Fields

I believe Dr. Sherry Rogers illustrated this one.

message 17: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

That's terrible! I heard that perfumes can cause people's asthmas to go out of control.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) We definitely need more education about how to interact with people with disabilities. Especially, in some ways, the ones that don't show.

I mean, if I see a person in a wheelchair, I know they deserve the handicapped parking space. Ok. But I really have to watch myself to avoid babying them, remind myself to look them in the eye the way I would an able-bodied person, etc.

And this despite the fact that I have a minor invisible disability. I was in a motorcycle accident an shattered by lower leg a few years ago. I still really really appreciate the safety rail in the handicapped restroom stall - but I get 'looks' when I go in their because I don't limp except when tired and my injury doesn't show in pants.

So, we want to be compassionate, and supportive - but also respectful. And sometimes in our ignorance of others' particular challenges, it's easy to make mistakes.

message 19: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Lady OT Lavender wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Yeah. There's just too many building of factories that the smoke pollutes the air and causes hazards to everyone. It's a shame that there is rarely a regard to the enviroment nowand..."

I was teaching a German course at a university (will not name names) a few years ago, and the professor who taught in my classroom before my own class always wore so much perfume that the entire room stank. Unfortunately, I also had two students with asthma and they really suffered due to this. I actually tired to talk to the professor, but as I was only a graduate student at the time, she not only did not listen, but complained about me to the head of our department (thankfully, nothing was done, but the perfume assault only stopped after I talked to the university's disability office, that stopped it, but the professor has despised me ever since, and still does not believe her perfume could have made students ill), sigh.

message 20: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments For information about dyspraxia and other non-verbal learning disabilities (which I was recently diagnosed as having, in my forties, yikes), these books are quite good

Caged In Chaos: A Dyspraxic Guide To Breaking Free

Living With Dyspraxia: A Guide for Adults With Developmental Dyspraxia

There are many books available for children, but these two are for adults and teenagers (young adults) facing this rather invisible disability.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Ronyell wrote: "That's terrible! I heard that perfumes can cause people's asthmas to go out of control."

I have had asthma since age 4 but never knew this. I always wore fragrance until Dr. Krohn told me not to as it made my asthma worse. I felt really DUMB as I simply did not know it. You would think over the years some allergist would have told me but none ever took the time. I was also shocked to learn it can cause heart arrthymia! (even fatal heart arrthymia!)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Gundula wrote: "Lady OT Lavender wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Yeah. There's just too many building of factories that the smoke pollutes the air and causes hazards to everyone. It's a shame that there is rarely a regar..."

You were very brave to confront her. Many people are very unreasonable about this. I didn't understand about fabric softner until I got "unmasked". What happens is many many people have an allergic addiction to their fragrance, their fabric softner, their flowers or room spray, etc and simply do not know about allergic addiction.
When I first moved to NM a woman was telling how very deadly and poisonous fabric softener was for her and I simply did not understand but then Dr. K required me to quit using it and wash my clothes in baking soda in order to get well. Finally after years I started to notice how strong it was. Then one evening I was walking and could smell it coming out of people's dryers! It gave me asthma! The reason I could finally smell it is that I was unmasked. I no longer had any allergic addiction to it. I have to leave far away from people out in the forest in order to have truly clean air. We are poisoning ourselves and most of us do not even realize it. I didn't!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Gundula wrote: "For information about dyspraxia and other non-verbal learning disabilities (which I was recently diagnosed as having, in my forties, yikes), these books are quite good

How interesting! I must have something like this but I didn't have it as a child. I was poisoned by some chemical in south Texas which gave me some form of brain damage that I do not understand. Late in life I began to reverse letters and numbers, scramble words and forget words. I have to double check my check book carefully due to reversing numbers. Sometimes I cannot see my errors.

Dr. Krohn calls this "learning disability". All my life I thought that was something children got and never realized it can happen to adults too. She helped me to get better. I can get "brain fog" if I am exposed to:
1. perfume
2. gasoline
3. room spray
4. formaldehyde
5. latex
6. paint unless it one of the safe ones
7. fingernail polish remover...I can tolerate some polishes but those fake nails can about kill me! once I couldn't even eat in a Subway and a nail parlor was next door and I could smell the toxic chemicals coming thru the wall!!!
well, I could go on and on as once you get this thing it tends to get worse and worse but there are doctors who know how to help. Most of them make it worse as they don't understand it.
8. I must add pesticides as they are most deadly and many of my EI friends were poisoned by pesticides.

message 24: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Lady OT Lavender wrote: "Gundula wrote: "For information about dyspraxia and other non-verbal learning disabilities (which I was recently diagnosed as having, in my forties, yikes), these books are quite good

How interes..."

The books are great. Pesticides are really horrible. You know, in Ontario, they have put in all of these restrictions on the use of pesticides (good, but golf courses etc. have exceptions), but the pesticide companies in the province can still produce and manufacture the chemicals; my boyfriend lives near one such plant (and thye always produce chemical odours and worse).

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Gundula wrote: "Lady OT Lavender wrote: "Gundula wrote: "For information about dyspraxia and other non-verbal learning disabilities (which I was recently diagnosed as having, in my forties, yikes), these books ar..."

Tell him for the sake of his life he should try hard to move. I had to leave Texas! Extreme pesticide use there.

Years ago I read about a man who went out to play on a golf course that had just been pesticided (is that a word?) and then he came home, lay down on the couch and died. He just felt very tired his wife reported. Little children have died too from running barefoot on lawns that have had herbicides and pestides used.

message 26: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "We definitely need more education about how to interact with people with disabilities. Especially, in some ways, the ones that don't show.

I mean, if I see a person in a wheelchair, I know they..."

I totally agree Cheryl. It's one thing to show compassion for a person with a disability, but it's another thing that people don't show respect or treat the person with a disability as an equal and I always believed that people with disabilities feel bad whenever people just show them on the surface kindness rather than treat them like they would treat anyone else.

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 05, 2011 03:47PM) (new)

Hi Cheryl, I go in there simply because I suffer from claustrophobia! No one has ever given me a "look" but I do live in a relatively unpopulated area. I do sympathize as I also look healthy except for my black circles which most people do not notice.

Today we went to Borders and I picked up my 7th book on celiac disease. I learned it causes many other autoimmune disorders. I ordered a salad gluten free but they put a big piece of garlic bread..sigh! the waiter apologized. At least it didn't have crutons!
Online I learned that one autoimmune disorder leads to another....isn't that surprising? My brain boggles at the thought. Celiac can occur in anyone but runs most among the Irish!!! I had read this in an earlier book but mostly forgot it.

The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health--And What You Can Do to Take Control Now

Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic

message 28: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments Lady OT Lavender wrote: "Hi Cheryl, I go in there simply because I suffer from claustrophobia! No one has ever given me a "look" but I do live in a relatively unpopulated area. I do sympathize as I also look healthy exc..."

You ordered a gluten free salad and they added garlic bread?? What a bunch of uneducated ignoramuses, everyone knows that bread contains gluten (I could understand waiters etc. not knowing about some of the hidden sources of gluten out there, but there is NO excuse for putting garlic bread in or near a salad touted as gluten-free). I hope you did not have to pay for this "meal"

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

No, we got it free but I do need to log into Allergy Eats and post about it there. If you are able Allergy Eats needs more people with celiac and food allergy to list their sensitivities and where its safe and where it is not. I am endlessly amazed at how ignorant people are about celiac disease. I have somehow known about it my whole life but most do not seem to have a clue. I had one woman tell me potatoes contain gluten and I lost my temper which I should not have. I had carried my new book into IHOP and was reading it at the table. Hubby was doing the same with his book. The waiter knew what it is as he started telling me about his celiac girlfriend. I was glad to talk to him about it. This book has new information that I have read before altho about 4 years ago I read Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic. It seems to be our job to educate people. This book says one in ten have it!!!

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments Lady Lavender wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "That's terrible! I heard that perfumes can cause people's asthmas to go out of control."

I have had asthma since age 4 but never knew this. I always wore fragrance until Dr. Krohn..."

Yeah, it's kinda scary that there are doctors out there who don't keep up-to-date on the pros and cons of what's happening with diseases in their specialties...!

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments Lady Lavender wrote: "Gundula wrote: "Lady OT Lavender wrote: "Gundula wrote: "For information about dyspraxia and other non-verbal learning disabilities (which I was recently diagnosed as having, in my forties, yikes)..."

It'd be nice if we could get away from this obsession for having a green lawn. I see so many gorgeous yards where they've gone xeriscapic. Think of how much fewer chemicals would be used and how much better for the environment. Even better, much less maintenance and water usage!

message 32: by Lady (new)

Lady Maria I respect people with disabilities,because it needs a lot of courage for your own fight with life and mean people around you.I think that they sholud be treated like everybody else,not with judging or laughing at them.It is sad that some people dont understand meaning of beauty and perfectness because everybody seeks that in models or celebritys.Beaty shoud be searched in hearts of everyday people,people who lies in hopspital,people with sicness or people who now what pain is.Because they truly are wonderfull for not giving up even when times are hard and unforgiving.We should repect this and allow them better life with one sincere smile or some other little thing that means so much to them...

message 33: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Lady wrote: "I respect people with disabilities,because it needs a lot of courage for your own fight with life and mean people around you.I think that they sholud be treated like everybody else,not with judging..."

That is a beautiful statement Lady! And it's true that everyone should look for true beauty in the inside! It's sad that even though we state the true beauty is in the inside, we still look to the outside of other people to see who is beautiful and who is not, especially when it comes to celebrities. And when it comes to celebrities who do not have good looks, they are easily ridiculed for their looks and that is very upsetting. I always believed that true beauty lies on the inside and no one should judge a person by their appearance.

message 34: by Lady (new)

Lady Maria So true but if we try a little i think that makes a big difference.I am so happy Ronyell,because you understand this and in a way accept,because there are a lot of people out there who doesnt care.And for this people our understanding means a lot.New hope and for some better dream...

message 35: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Exactly!