Patricia Briggs Fans discussion

River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
This topic is about River Marked
Mercedes Thompson Series Books > River Marked (Book 6)

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

AlbertaJenn | 26 comments Okay, well, I haven't finished, so I probably won't post on here again for a few days.

See ya then!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha! Awesome! :D

So... SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Uh, I really LOVED Coyote! I like the whole idea of his character and Hawk, along with Wolf (even though he was a jerk). The whole Joe Old Coyote/Coyote threw me for a loop, but I caught on just like Mercy did. :)

I liked the bad guy - the river devil - and liked the Native American story telling, and how it played out from Coyote's story to Mercy.

I liked how Adam turned out in this one. Gotta say - haven't been much of a fan of him. *Hides* But I liked him in this. I think because he was away from the pack, and all the stress, that he loosened up enough for me to like him. :)

And yay! I got to see Bran - however briefly- so I am satisfied with the book ;)

SheLove2Read (sherrih95) JUST finished. Loved it! My first thoughts:

Mercy - does she seem a bit more "girly" to anyone? Her scenes with Adam made me smile. She is so jealous!

Adam - Yowza! Being married has only upped his sex appeal! The letter Mercy wrote him? I cried like a baby.

Bran - *fans self* The scene at the wedding where he tells Adam to take care of her and shows everyone his Marrok-ness? Chills!

Stefan made me cry. Warren is probably the only gay character who I have the hots for! Kyle is just too yummy. Ben is such a charmer.

I'm going to have to read it again soon to see what, if anything, I didn't pick up on the first time.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

"Nothing says you´re sorry like a dead bunny" cracked me up :)

This one is definitly on my "to read again in the near future" list.

Leslie Bhargava | 4 comments It definitely showed Mercy growing as a person, which was great. Her vulnerability toward Adam was touching and he just keeps getting better and better. It's nice to see how even when there's outside conflict the two of them have no doubt about each other and stick together. Excellent book and series.

message 6: by Jessica E (new)

Jessica E (jlovett87) | 21 comments I am not finished with it yet but I at the part where Coyote is explaning the Joe Old Coyote/Coyote thing. I am not getting it. Is Coyote like a spirit that inhabits others?

Carissa, you said you got it...HELP. My head is spinning.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's more of a rebirth where the essence of the beeing is coyote but the whole is something different, more human and basicaly an own person.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica E wrote: "I am not finished with it yet but I at the part where Coyote is explaning the Joe Old Coyote/Coyote thing. I am not getting it. Is Coyote like a spirit that inhabits others?

Carissa, you said ..."

Oh. Lol. "Joe" was Mercy's biological father. Basically the body that kept "Coyote"'s spirit. Sort of like the Brother Wolf/Charles mentality... sort of. *scratches head* Kind of hard to explain. ^^;

And since Coyote, himself, actually created the body...it's really hard to explain. Uhm... Lol. So Coyote is a being, that has the 'power' to create himself in another image. So there's a bit of 'him', his spirit inside the one he created. Because I'm guessing he wanted to interact in the human world without being "Coyote" - the big, scary, spirit thing...

So he created a body. To put himself in. I'll have to re-read it to figure out why "Joe"'s spirit is in with "Coyote" unless "Coyote" chose to put "Joe" in there with him. ... I'll have to re-read it. ^^; I'm making everything confusing, and now I'm confusing myself. Lol.

message 9: by Jessica E (new)

Jessica E (jlovett87) | 21 comments TOTALLY CONFUSING! Thanks for trying Carissa. I read a little more since my last post and on page 170 Coyote says something that indicated he considered Adam his son-in-law. So does Coyote consider himself Mercy's dad?

I wonder why Briggs did it this way? Was it to show that her dad/Joe really did die and not just left her to be raised w/o a dad. But that her dad/Coyote was around and knew about her and wanted to help her now? I am trying to see a logical reason for the "my dad is not really dead" thing. But I guess trying to make magical fictional characters fit into logical conclusion is not smart.

I think the idea is "Don't think too hard about it....just go with it."

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica E wrote: "TOTALLY CONFUSING! Thanks for trying Carissa. I read a little more since my last post and on page 170 Coyote says something that indicated he considered Adam his son-in-law. So does Coyote consid..."

Yes, he considers himself Mercy's Dad. He's definitely territorial and protective of her... like Bran is.

message 11: by Arletta (new)

Arletta (coastalwaters) | 2 comments Björn wrote: ""Nothing says you´re sorry like a dead bunny" cracked me up :)

This one is definitly on my "to read again in the near future" list."

Definitely one of my favorite lines ever!

message 12: by Arletta (new)

Arletta (coastalwaters) | 2 comments Just finished today! I always tell myself to set a slower pace with a new book, but I always fail...epically.

I got all teary-eyed when Bran gave Mercy away. And Charles smiled!

It took me a bit to get a hold of the whole Joe Old Coyote/Coyote thing, but I finally got it. Don't ask me to try to explain it, though. :)

I loved the pieces with Stefan. I've really grown to love his character. It was also wonderful to see how excepted he's become. Movie night was fabulous.

I missed Ben soooo much. He's definitely a favorite of mine. I did enjoy seeing how he'd grown. He took care of Stefan's menagerie and was even feeding Stefan. I hope that we learn more about Ben. Perhaps a trip to the UK is in the works?

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments What I took out of the whole Joe/Coyote thing was based, at least in part, on my Classical education. Coyote is not exactly a god--more of a very powerful spirit. But, in some ways he IS a god, in that he doesn't really "die", just is re-born again and again.

The difference in the body thing is kind of like when the Greco/Roman gods created a body for themselves in order to "get frisky" lets say, with a local woman who then goes on to bare a demi-god/goddess as a child. So, think Zeus as a swan or shower of gold and we get the basic idea of what was going on with Joe/Coyote. Altho to Coyote, the physical body WAS a different being even if it was also him. But I do think that there is also a part of it that is similar to Charles with his Brother WolfCharles view of himself.

And at one point, Coyote tells Mercy that he hadn't known about her for a while, but when he found out she existed, he'd started keeping an eye on her. I'm thinking that it was when she had her "spirit journey" when she was 14 that he became aware of her.

MissSusie | 11 comments I really enjoyed all the Native American myths brought to life.

I love Mercy & Adam's relationship no triangle just a great adult love story with trust and laughter.

Stefan just broke my heart I was so glad at the end that he was doing better!

Loved the wedding it was perfect!

I just love how Patricia Briggs can write a paranormal story with believable people with flaws and problems can't wait till the next one in this series and really looking forward to the next Charles and Anna book too!

message 15: by Jessica E (new)

Jessica E (jlovett87) | 21 comments Me too Susie, I love Charles and Anna!!!! I am bummed we have to wait a whole freakin year. *grumble grumble*

MissSusie | 11 comments Jessica E wrote: "Me too Susie, I love Charles and Anna!!!! I am bummed we have to wait a whole freakin year. *grumble grumble*"

I agree. I just love her love stories without all the bull no triangle just straight up two people falling in love! because even with samuel it was never a true triangle he was just her ex and she was over him even if he wasn't sure he was over her.

AlbertaJenn | 26 comments Okay, I finally finished it! Only 20 days later! LOL

I really enjoyed this one. I loved the interplay between Mercy and Adam without the pack around. It was great and romantic.

Coyote is a wonderful character. Her description of him & Joe as two beings in the same body really helped me understand (I loved the Men in Black reference).

So much better than Silver Borne (which irked and confused me).

Carolyn F. | 88 comments Just finished this book a few days ago - all I can say is I hope the next one has babies and I loved it!

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 15 comments I'm not finished yet, but I am really enjoying this one so much more than Silver Borne too. I cracked up when reminded about Mercy's car "sculpture" in the field placed to irk Adam - and finding Adam walked around naked knowing Mercy could see him. They are just so great together in this book, and yes, I like Adam much more now also. The wedding ... "what about butterflies?" - Mercy did get to acknowledge her girly, traditional side a bit. The Coyote stuff is fascinating; finding that Coyote is (sorta) her dad sure explains Mercy's last few chaotic years!

Carolyn F. | 88 comments I know what you mean about Coyote - He's kind of her dad but not really. I really like character and all the other Indian animal deities. That's one of the reasons I liked Tony Hillerman, he gave a lot of information I didn't know about some of the Native Americans.

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 15 comments Yeah, I loved his books also.

Laurel I think this was the best Mercy book thus far, and I'm extremely sad that it will be 2 years before the next one comes out! Are Patricia Briggs' other books as compelling? Will they tide me over?

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments Well, I like her other books. But I'd been reading her fantasy well BEFORE she started the Mercy books. But as for tiding over for TWO FULL YEARS. . . sigh,

Carolyn F. | 88 comments Laurel wrote: "I think this was the best Mercy book thus far, and I'm extremely sad that it will be 2 years before the next one comes out! Are Patricia Briggs' other books as compelling? Will they tide me over?"

The Alpha & Omega books are really good too. The fantasy books are hit and miss but the one I like the most from that group is The Hob's Bargain.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 18 comments two years? why?

Carolyn F. | 88 comments I think she switches from Mercy to Alpha & Omega. Then she threw in the Masques II book. It averages about 2 years.

Michielle | 37 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Well, I like her other books. But I'd been reading her fantasy well BEFORE she started the Mercy books. But as for tiding over for TWO FULL YEARS. . . sigh,"

She has some new short stories out in anthologies. I have yet to read them all. But they are on my TBR list.

Michielle | 37 comments As far as Joe vs. Coyote - dad or not... Here is my take on it.

“I created Joe, then I lived in him until he died. He wasn’t me, and I wasn’t him, but we occupied the same skin for awhile. As long as Joe walked the earth, I walked it with him – though he never knew that…. When he died, I was reborn as me – and he was dead.”

My take on it is that Coyote occupied Joe to live through him vicariously; therefore Joe had his own free will. It was Joe’s choice to “take the Anglo woman to bed”, so Coyote feels she is technically Joe’s daughter. But like Bran, he is happy to claim her as his daughter. I think one part of Mercy’s rejection of Coyote as her father is because she feels he is rejecting her. The other part is that she doesn’t want to hurt her mother by telling her that the essence of the man that got her pregnant and whom she loved is still alive. And I think Coyote accepts that.

There is also a part when Mercy is on the altar and Coyote growls something in another language to Gordon and Gordon rebuts with “I thought you were not her father, that makes him not your son by marriage.” I think Coyote had claimed Adam as his son in law in the other language.

But of course, Coyote likes chaos, and that explains the confusion.

Michielle | 37 comments Now on to the Stefan/Coyote relationship. It would be interesting to know more of the back story with Coyote and Stefan. Was Stefan involved in the vampire nest that Joe took down? Or Joe’s car accident? Or has he been watching and protecting Mercy –without her knowledge- since she was a child? The only hint we get is that Stefan has not battled any walkers in over a hundreds years.

And was it such a grand idea to give Coyote –bringer of chaos – the walking stick. And will it still come back to Mercy if she needs it?

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments On the Walking Stick thing--not sure if it was a good idea or not--but it was pretty strongly implied that after killing the monster with it then it would be too powerful for a "normal" person to keep. So maybe Coyote was the best person--er being--to give it to. As for if it will go back to Mercy, that will be up to the stick, since it CHOSE to go to her in the first place. But as with all legendary weapons--the weapon choses who is its holder and how long it stays with them, the human/hero doesn't make that choice.

Jalilah I just finished River marked and liked it a lot. I've read all the books in this series now and wish there were more! I really think the Mercedes Thompson series is one of the best urban fantasy series out there. I liked the fact that this novel had elements of Native American mythology in it. I have read about the legend of the Thunderbird and the Lake Monster in other stories. I liked the Coyote character! I almost felt like I was reading a Charles De Lint novel! Patricia Briggs seems to knows her Faerie mythology as well, so even though this series is categorised as Urban Fantasy, for me it also qualifies as Mythic fiction.

SheLove2Read (sherrih95) I've yet to read a PB story I didn't absolutely love.

message 33: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 12 comments Hey, I'm Leea. I'm newer to the group and have been devouring the Mercy books. I just finished River Marked yesterday and it's my favorite in the whole series so far.

*Slight spoilers*
(view spoiler)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 297 comments Answering Leea's Spoiler

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 12 comments Ohh got it! Thanks Ann :)

(view spoiler)

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) I just finished this one, and it was disappointing. I've never actually wanted to smack Mercy or Adam before, and I really wanted to in this one :(

Regina (reginar) | 110 comments Why? What frustrated you? I loved them both in this one.

message 38: by Lady Jaye (last edited Mar 18, 2012 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) Oh - Adam and his rudeness (he's NEVER been this way before, and Mercy and her endless protesting. I wished (view spoiler) - ooh I wanted to smack those two!

Emily | 24 comments I don't get it. Adam was not "rude" Did we read the same book?

Regina (reginar) | 110 comments LJ what parts!? Mercy never seemed to be protesting to me? But of course we can't all like the same books! Maybe you were missing Sam? :)

Regina (reginar) | 110 comments I was actually wanting more Adam!

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) No.....it wasn't Sam, although I did miss him. I just wanted to beat those two. I don't understand what happened to their usual lovable selves. Big smh.

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) Emily, yes he was. To Wolf, and just about everyone else.

Emily | 24 comments I will have to re read it. I remember them being stressed out but not him being overly rude.

message 45: by Anna (last edited Mar 18, 2012 04:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna | 53 comments RM got quite mixed reviews in UK so I was a bit worried - I was waiting for the US paperback as I love the covers :) I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I missed the pack but I liked the American Indian folklore - and the location. I also really enjoyed the Coyote character. I was worried it would drift into PR but PB never overdid the romance . Didn't notice the rudeness or protesting though Mercy does keep getting beaten up. Perhaps we're just used to rude and stroppy in the UK...

Regina (reginar) | 110 comments I read it twice -- once by audio and once by ebook and didn't notice the rudeness or protesting, but I will say that we all come to books with different perspectives. :) It is interesting to me that fans either loved or didn't love this book.

LOL about the UK.

message 47: by Jalilah (last edited Mar 18, 2012 06:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jalilah That is one thing that starts to get to me with a lot of Urban fantasy novels, the characters keep getting beaten up. I get sick of it sometimes and have to take a break and read some other type of literature.

message 48: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela | 42 comments I have to say I was really annoyed that PB cut made the wedding really short. I mean we had the four most dominate wolves in the country (along with a pack and a half), several grey lords/really powerful fey, mercy s family and a member of the law enforcement in one room. There was SO much potential for drama!