The Sword and Laser discussion

Shadow & Claw (The Book of the New Sun #1-2)
This topic is about Shadow & Claw
2011 Reads > S&C: The Statue / favorite passages (spoiler, claw, ch 14)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
The description of the statue-being outside the House Absolute at the beginning of chapter 14 is probably one of my favorite passages so far. It's much harder these days for a book to evoke that sought-after "sense of wonder" feeling in me, but that image is one of the ones here that does it.

Anyone else have favorite (or least favorite) passages so far?

message 2: by Ed (last edited Mar 02, 2011 08:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 170 comments I forget which chapter its from, but here's one of my favorite passages from Shadow & Claw:

"We believe that we invent symbols. The truth is that they invent us; we are their creatures, shaped by their hard, defining edges. When soldiers take their oath they are given a coin, an asimi stamped with the profile of the Autarch. Their acceptance of that coin is their acceptance of the special duties and burdens of military life--they are soldiers from that moment, though they may know nothing of the management of arms. I did not know that then, but it is a profound mistake to believe that we must know of such things to be influenced by them, and in fact to believe so is to believe in the most debased and superstitious kind of magic. The would-be sorcerer alone has faith in the efficacy of pure knowledge; rational people know that things act of themselves or not at all."

Larry (lomifeh) | 88 comments Ed: That is said right in the beginning when he talks about the coin he received in the necropolis.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments "People don't want other people to be people. They throw names over them and lock them in, but I don't want you to let them lock you in." (from XXII of Claw)

"That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin." (in Shadow & Claw at least twice)