Computer History discussion

Hi

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 3 comments Well, one other person isn't much of a group, but I'm such a sucker for computer history so I figured I'd join anyway. And I contributed my favorite computer history book, Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution - 25th Anniversary Edition and one I read a while back but don't remember that well, Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins Of The Internet.

Thanks to the bookshelf in this group it looks like I have a lot more reading to do.

message 2: by Morten (new)

Morten Nygaard Åsnes (mortenaa) | 2 comments Hi, I just found this group. I love reading about computer history. I've added The Soul of a New Machine and On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore, both great books. To bad there isn't more members here. How do we get some more people to join?

message 3: by Morten (new)

Morten Nygaard Åsnes (mortenaa) | 2 comments I've tried to advertise for this group a couple of places, and looks like we more than doubled the number of members ;-)

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve | 1 comments Hey Morten. Thanks for posting the link on reddit, huge fan of computer history :-)

message 5: by Aleksandar (new)

Aleksandar (aleksandarmicovic) Another Redditor here. Looks like an interesting group! :)

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Smith | 1 comments Hi there. I'm also from reddit. I love everything computers, but I've mostly read about current technologies and future directions. I'm looking forward to reading some suggestions from this club!

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (foptimusprime) | 1 comments Hello all! I also found this group by way of the reddit group. I'm very curious to see what this group recommends. :D

message 8: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 3 comments Morten wrote: "Hi, I just found this group. I love reading about computer history. I've added The Soul of a New Machine and On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore, both ..."

I just came across The Soul of a New Machine, haven't read it yet. I'll give it a shot though, thanks.

message 9: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 3 comments I just added The Microprocessor: A Biography. I recently moved to Silicon Valley and just randomly picked up this book at the library while waiting to get the keys to my new apartment. It's actually pretty interesting, it talks about the initial design of microchips and the competition between the various companies.

A chapter in the middle starts going into the basics of computer architecture which can be a bit boring for people here who are already technical, so feel free to skip over it but read the chapters afterwards, it gets interesting again.

message 10: by Paweł (new)

Paweł Duda | 1 comments Hi, I'm not from reddit :D, just searching a place where people recommend good books. I'm a big fan of "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland. Is it still this category? I can recommend another: "The Google story" by David Vise and "E-mailem z Doliny Krzemowej" by Marek Holynski - but this one is in Polish (a story of the beginnings of computer graphics and working for Sillicon Graphics). Can you recommend some more books? If they are not stictly historical but in a form of a diary it's okay with me as well.