Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

The Book Thief > Already read it?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I've been seeing a lot of people who've already read The Book Thief who've decided to join the discussions. This one's for you! Talk about when you read it, why you read it, what you thought, favorite/not-so-favorite things, etc.

Have fun!

message 2: by William (new)

William Emery (almericus) | 4 comments I found it interesting, if a little long. There were some parts that dragged on, but it was overall well written.
The idea of Death narrating was fairly brilliant, especially in a WWII setting. If anything, that was what really defined the book.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Death was definitely the defining characteristic of the book.

message 4: by Al (new)

Al (alstone) A brilliant book. I fell in love with the story and the writing style right away. Loved the characters, especially Death. Definitely recommended.

message 5: by Sacha (new)

Sacha (supersonicsacha) I absolutely loved this book. I got done with it so fast because I didn't want to put it down.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Bloomer | 6 comments I sobbed all the way through the last three chapters. Maybe it's because I'm a mum and these things get me that way, but yeah...sobbed!

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Bloomer | 6 comments Kate wrote: "Death was definitely the defining characteristic of the book."
I LOVED the idea of Death as a narrator. I watched an interview with Marcus Zusack and he said he re-wrote the manuscript a number of times. Didn't matter what he did, he couldn't find a character who saw enough to tell the whole story. Death was the only guy for the job!

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments That's really cool!

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Bloomer | 6 comments Kate wrote: "That's really cool!"

Yeah, I thought so. Cool that he put so much thought/effort into it and cool he could think far enough outside the box to decide upon Death as a character.

message 10: by Grace (last edited Mar 09, 2011 02:11AM) (new)

Grace Yessssss, I voted for this book because no other group had it up for discussion! Sadly I finished it in November so it's not so fresh in my mind, but....

I can't express how much I LOVED it. There were so many good attributes:
1. Rudy and Liesel. :( Young, unrequited, tragic love between best friends.
2. War story.
3. Narrator. Only enhanced the experience.
4. Awesome language and imagery.
5. Death's comments/side notes.
6. The books and drawings of the 'Jewish Fist Fighter'. So beautiful.
7. The ending. Unexpected! I thought Liesel would die...

This book was sooooooo good. I was crying so much at the end. Wish I could read it for the first time again.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Childress (goodreadscomkim_childress) | 1 comments This is one of my all-time favorite books. I finished it at 4 a.m., crying my eyes out! Though I've received mixed reviews, I found the writing, plot and characters were extremely well-done. I finished wondering how he ever came up with the idea. I feature this book on my web site ChildressInk.com.

message 12: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments It puts a different perspective on WW2. Normally we just hear about how Hitler took over and are left to assume that everyone became a Nazi. But The Book Thief shows the flip-side. It was actually a bit refreshing, but meaningful.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments That's what I thought. It's a very different type of Holocaust book, but still equally moving as the best of the regular ones.

message 14: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (gob7893) | 5 comments I agree with Rae*Gnomey*. I never really thought of the Germans lives that were being affected by the War. I just saw them all as the enemy and should die. It was a very well written book that kept me interested throughout.

message 15: by Al (new)

Al (alstone) One of my all time favourites. His writing is beautiful. I couldn't put it down.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Just out of curiosity, how old are you, Haley and Soli?

message 17: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Chai (Lady with so many stories) | 11 comments Al wrote: "One of my all time favourites. His writing is beautiful. I couldn't put it down."

I couldn't agree more. I've read it while I as driving. I know. I did get a fine for it.