Book freaks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Comments, observations, thoughts on Beastly by Alex Flinn as you have read or after reading the book! Let the discussion of all things Beastly begin!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sb3626) I thought it was an amazing quick read. It definitely kept me interested from the beginning to the end

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna (ljldml) I agree, a very quick read. I finished in two days! I loved the way the author made the story very contemporary, but in my mind I kept seeing the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast! :)

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 102 comments Thanks for thoughts on this one, I have been meaning to pick it up. Will definantly give it a try now!

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Garcia (garciababy) | 2 comments i agree with everyone else it was a very good quick read i read it in one day i couldn't put this book down at all. Alex Flinn is an amazing author and i really want to see how the movie turns out

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina (rhortonevansib) | 6 comments its a book? i thought it was a movie

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Garcia (garciababy) | 2 comments it is both

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Mabe (beckegirl) | 41 comments I wasn't really impressed with the trailers for the movie but I love all things fairy tales so I picked up the book. The book however did impress me. I'm halfway through and I'm amazed at how the author has forced me to like the protagonist even though he's a prat. The openings to each section with the chat room format between BeastNYC and the other fairy tale characters is also very entertaining. Here's hoping for a happy ending for them all. =0)

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia Albuquerque (jalbuquerque) | 24 comments I found it a very easy read, took me about two and a half hours. However, I thought it was just okay. There was something about the way Kyle desperately convinced himself that he was in love with Lindy that didn't resonate with me. It was a lovely book, but I think it could be better developed.
However, a very nice modern take with a well known fairy tale.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed it. It had some laughs. I thought the modernization was well done. Overall it was good, although maybe not as good as it could have been.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Donna wrote: in my mind I kept seeing the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast! :)"

:) Me too. I enjoyed it. It was a fun and quick read.

message 12: by Christie (new)

Christie | 2 comments I thought it was fun,brought Beauty and the Beast the Disney version to an older audience. It was a good YA read. I enjoyed it.

message 13: by Tony (new)

Tony Great modernization of the classic fairy tale not Disney tale. The addition of the web suport group was like icing on the cake.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky | 5 comments I just finished...such a classic romance story!

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha i loved the book. i read it a while ago and loved it and read it agian for fun. if any of you liked this book by Alex Flinn you should check out the other fairy tale remakes he has done. A Kiss in Time and Cloaked they were great.

message 16: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments I am going to read the book soon, but i haven't seen the movie yet. Are they good?

message 17: by Lalalalaaa (new)

Lalalalaaa | 17 comments I liked it better than I expected to :) it was fun, sweet and entertaining.

message 18: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments Peytavi wrote: "I liked it better than I expected to :) it was fun, sweet and entertaining."

cool

message 19: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (hayleyyyyy) It looks like I'm alone here, but I thought Beastly was one of the most awful books I've read.

message 20: by Julia (new)

Julia Albuquerque (jalbuquerque) | 24 comments Well, I'm partially with you. I didn't think it was that bad, but probably because it didn't take me much time to read.

I read your review and I agree with most of your points, particularly with the Twilight feelings. I also hated the way they are trying to get audiences to believe Pettyfer to look beastly with a couple of face tatoos, but that's a problem with the movie, not the book.

message 21: by Tita (new)

Tita (titacamero) I just got the book today, and to be honest, it's going to be a far departure from everything else I normally read, but I'm looking forward to it.

message 22: by Grace (new)

Grace (yankabroad) | 6 comments i agree with julia. could have used some better developing of characters, but maybe that's because it's a YA book? don't know. it was an okay book, not one i'll ever read again. i wonder how the movie is?

message 23: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Y (itskatrinay) finished the book today, it was indeed a quick read. Didn't really loved it but it was OK. I still think there's something lacking,like i didn't buy the feelings of Kyle and Lindy for each other- was too abrupt and unbelievable. The book was predictable, but maybe because its a remake of the fairy tale.

message 24: by BubblesTheMonkey (new)

BubblesTheMonkey (goodreadscombookhorseluver) | 50 comments I am almost to the point of checking Beastly out. The book is very popular, it seems, at the moment.

message 25: by Julia (new)

Julia Albuquerque (jalbuquerque) | 24 comments Maybe because of the movie. Here is a really funny phenomenon. As soon as a movie starts being successful or gets any kind of nomination it's original source jumps straight to the Bestsellers list.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 14 comments That's people for you. They want to sound smart.
Honestly, the book was much better.

message 27: by Becky (last edited Mar 07, 2011 04:14PM) (new)

Becky (beckyaaarrhhhclarke) I enjoyed the book but the ending didn't do it for me. The beginning and the middle kept me going, the end was to lovey and cringe worthy but that I blame mostly on my mood!
I find it funny that it seamed almost a realistic story.

message 28: by Lalalalaaa (new)

Lalalalaaa | 17 comments Becky wrote: "I enjoyed the book but the ending didn't do it for me. The beginning and the middle kept me going, the end was to lovey and cringe worthy but that I blame mostly only mood!
I find it funny that it ..."

I agree with this. It didn't really bother me though, because I kind of expected so much worse. It is a fairy tale retelling, after all.

message 29: by Rayna (new)

Rayna (raynamecham) | 2 comments Just read this today. A fun quick read, for sure. I enjoyed the author's take on the classic story. I felt like the chat room stuff could have been left out and I wouldn't have missed it though. But besides that, I did enjoy it.

The trailer looks interesting. I'm trying to figure out why they changed the look of the beast so much? Any thoughts? Plus, pretty sure Vanessa Hudgens isn't "average" looking. Haha. Oh well. Neil Patrick Harris as Will looks good!

message 30: by Patsy (last edited Mar 07, 2011 04:58PM) (new)

Patsy (milesavery) | 5 comments Well glad to hear about this book. I might give it a try. I found after reading The Vampire Diary books and then seeing the movies. The books were so much more interesting and the movies shallow and boring.
Pat Asaro

message 31: by Glennis (new)

Glennis Beastly arrived today... I need to finish one other book...or not...before I dive into this one. If my other book moves decently, that is!

message 32: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Kuhnau (kuhnau13) | 7 comments I enjoyed the books. It was an easy night read. It had a nice modern twist to an old story.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Jones (parkersmom2003) Loving this book! Anyone seen the movie yet?

message 34: by Julia (new)

Julia Albuquerque (jalbuquerque) | 24 comments Not yet... It only opens in April around here.

message 35: by Sandra (last edited Mar 08, 2011 06:17PM) (new)

Sandra | 5 comments Fun book. I think the movie will be just as good. I agree that the chat room conversation was pretty pointless and could have been omitted from the story.

message 36: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo I think the thing with beastly is that it's written in the style of a fairytale so you kind of get characters that are two-dimensional and don't really have feelings that you can empathize with as much. If you really think about it, in the fairy tales you read as a child the main character might have been clever, or beautiful but you never reallllllllllly connected with them if what I'm saying makes sense to anyone. The product is a light protracted fairy tale that may not leave you satisfied. But well all know the majority of fairy tales end in "happily ever after"

if you did like Beastly I strongly recommend reading Cloaked by the same author (Alex Flinn) it came out this year and I read it yesterday! And thought it was great, just like Beastly (obviously if you didn't like beastly don't read it!)

Glad to see so many people read the book this month! I am loving these comments!

message 37: by Rarietty (new)

Rarietty | 61 comments Thanks for telling me about Cloaked. I added it to my to-read list. I haven't even read Beastly yet, but I'm planning to after I finish Wings by Aprilynne Pike. I love retellings of fairy tales.

message 38: by A.B. (new)

A.B. Shepherd | 5 comments I really enjoyed this modern retelling of the classic fairytale Beauty and the Beast. Unlike many readers, I also enjoyed the chat room segments. I felt that the author's depiction of Kyle's attitude pre- and post transformation, and his letting us into Kyle's head made this a more interesting read than the classic fairytale.

message 39: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Same here. I think the chat room conversations weren't exactly necessary but if you're going to look at it like that then there are a lot of things in books that aren't necessary. I think the chat rooms were a cute little addition and they indeed add something new and different

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 14 comments Also, it's rare to find something new nowadays. Getting inside Beast's head, not Beauty's, was exactly this.

If you really liked this, she (Flinn) also wrote Nothing to Lose. (This is me recommending it.)

message 41: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin I'm with Gorfo, for the most part.
Sure, at some parts the chat room was really annoying, but it was pretty funny sometimes too

message 42: by Allison (new)

Allison Conrad | 1 comments I loved this book! I did like the little chat room thing, thought it was kinda neat. Also liked that he actually turned into a beast like the one in the original in the book than the movie version with the scars and stuff.

message 43: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) You guys make it to where I can't wait to get this book in my hands. Hopefully, I will get by Monday or Tuesday.

message 44: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 30 comments I have to agree that the book was a quick read but I wasn't all that crazy about it. It wasn't BAD but I can't say that I really liked it. I prefer the original fairy tale version of beauty and the beast. I still want to see the movie though.

message 45: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo I think what's really interesting is that over the years there have been so many different versions of this story that I honestly couldn't tell you the original version in detail.

message 46: by Mystery Fro (new)

Mystery Fro | 21 comments i think it was a pretty good modern take on the fairytale,, I would have liked it to be a little harder to read. I read it in 8 hours ( i think less)...but over all I really liked it

message 47: by Tita (new)

Tita (titacamero) Hayley wrote: "It looks like I'm alone here, but I thought Beastly was one of the most awful books I've read."

I'm halfway through, and I'm definitely not loving it. I wasn't sure if it's b/c the fairy tale aspect doesn't appeal to me or if it's b/c it's targeted for a younger crowd.

message 48: by Al (new)

Al (alstone) I'm halfway through the book, and I have to say, I didn't know about Alex Flinn before, but so far, the author has impressed me. I'll definitely check out some of her other books.

message 49: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Shires | 7 comments I am just finishing another book before I start this one. I wasn't really looking forward to reading it - not my type of book - but now that I have read all of the comments, I am intrigued!!! This is why I wanted to be part of a book group - it will force me to read things I would generally not choose!

message 50: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo I'm loving these comments! Plz just quickly vote on this poll so I can have a clearer idea of everyone's reactions

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/45...! Thanks guys!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.