For those who read... discussion

Discussion (Group Books) > Graceling *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Honey Hawthorne Here you can discuss our March 2011 read. You can discuss even before you finish the novel, but you must write SPOILERS when you say one.

Honey Hawthorne So has anyone started reading? If so, any thoughts?

message 3: by AJ (last edited Mar 05, 2011 08:16PM) (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Just finished The Fellowship, like 5 minutes ago.

I think I'll start in on Graceling tomorrow.

Honey asked: Any thoughts?

...the cover looks cool ;)

Honey Hawthorne Haha, yea it does. If you haven't started it, why do you think there may be a dagger and blue eye on the front?

message 5: by AJ (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Hmm... I'm really not too sure, although the eye looks feminine so I'd guess it's Katsa. There was also some sort of strange symbol near the hilt of the blade, I don't know if that's significant.

The sword itself probably reflects Katsa's war-like nature, but it's also rather beautiful and 'grace'ful, perhaps to emphasize those aspects of her character.

I'm afraid that's the best I can do right now, I'm operating on no sleep and I got a minor concussion last night (hence the no sleep).

I am on page sixty though!

Honey Hawthorne Oh wow (fast reader).

SPOILERS: (don't worry I only mention a few characters names. If you read it you prob just won't understand.)

I never noticed that fancy thing on the hilt but it may be the symbol of Randa's court? Or of Po's. Or Leck's.

message 7: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) I've read this book and it's prequel a while ago. I never knew it was a trilogy. I'm dying for Bitterblue to come out... or has it already? I never keep track. But all i can say is that I love,love,loved it with a passion.

Honey Hawthorne It hasn't.....I really adored the first book but I found the second one disappointing...

message 9: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Fire? I really liked Fire. Actually, I think I liked it better than Graceling. The whole idea of monsters and the beginning of the evil king Leck was amazing

Honey Hawthorne Well the idea was good but Archer pissed me off.

SPOILERS:

HE was really annoying....I mean he says he loves her then gets two girls pregnant. ERGH I want to kill him.

In bitterblue, I want Bitter to find the path her dad found and meet Fire and Prince Brigian......Then Kasta, Po, Fire, and Brigian to have a four way wedding......

BTW i liked fire...It was only disappointing after Graceling.. I gave it four stars... THATS how much I loved that series.(It is a lot for me...)

message 11: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Fire's like really, really, really old by the time Graceling takes place. I hated Archer too. He was absolutely worthless. Oh! did you see how the king in Fire, you know, Brigan's brother, and that one maid/guard for Fire were falling for each other!?

Honey Hawthorne SPOILERS:

Oh ya! Mira (i think her name is) had Archers second child (princess Clara the first) and then she was like falling in love with King Nash....SO SWEET!!!!

I am so glad/sad Archer died. ERGH i wanted him to marry Fire sort of but then he turned out to be a pig but I still clung on to the hope he loved her!! Deaths always make a story more interesting though. Take Prim for example. Everyone wanted her to live but she died. Now everyone is talking about it. Everyone is basically giving Collins free advertising. Is graceling the first or second one???? I thought it was the first but it takes place after Fire???

message 13: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Fire's a prequel to Graceling. Bitterblue is the sequel to Graceling. It's confusing

Honey Hawthorne Yes....... I read Gracling first anyway...

message 15: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) It is the first book in the series. It was published first too

Honey Hawthorne Oh...LIke Narnia the first book is really the second book (Lion witch and wardrobe/magicians nephew)

message 17: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Yes. and no. Chronoligically it's in the middle, story wise it's first

Honey Hawthorne Yep thats what I meant.....

message 19: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) cool.

Honey Hawthorne yep..

message 21: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) *awkward silence...*

Honey Hawthorne AWKWARD HIGH FIVE! *puts out hand waiting for high five*

message 23: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) *gives the awkward high five* okay................

message 24: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
*Awkward silence... SNICKER SNICKER!*

message 25: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) *sigh*

Honey Hawthorne ummmmmm

message 27: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
Boredom.

message 28: by AJ (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
It might be a good idea to have to separate topics for Graceling, one for those who've already read it and another for those reading it for the first time.

I keep having to shield my eyes scrolling down this page.

I have reached page 200! Almost halfway done.

message 29: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) oh, hurry! It's such a good book

message 30: by AJ (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Klymene wrote: "oh, hurry! It's such a good book"

Well, I'm up to page 260.

I've gotta say, page 229 disappointed me. As have the pages up to page 260. I'm hoping this was just a 31 page slip and Cashore will return to form afterward.

So far, I'd give it 3.5 stars.

message 31: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
I keep forgetting to pick it up!

I have yet to even start it. I gotta get with it.

Honey Hawthorne Haha thats fine Asa. We will stop talking about it until you all finish..

message 33: by AJ (last edited Mar 10, 2011 07:46PM) (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
All right, page 364!

App. 75% done. Cashore didn't disappoint, after that quickly slip for roughly 30 pages that didn't sound much like Katsa, but more like Katniss Everdeen (from the 3rd HG, not the first two) everything's been great.

message 34: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) WHY DID EVERYONE CHANGE THEIR USERNAME?!

message 35: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
O.o they did... Interesting... No matter, I don't pay attention to peoples names. Just the pictures.:)

message 36: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Hm, I might just change my picture to confuse you... jk. i'd tell you b4 hand

message 37: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
Yeah lol. In one of my other groups, I thought I was RPing with a friend of mine because they had the same picture. I kept pestering my friend to RP there, and she kept freaking out. I was so confuzzled.

message 38: by AJ (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Finished.

message 39: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Ω♂Asa Oblivious♂ Ω wrote: "Yeah lol. In one of my other groups, I thought I was RPing with a friend of mine because they had the same picture. I kept pestering my friend to RP there, and she kept freaking out. I was so confu..."

The one with the pink picture. of the sun set?

AWJ wrote: "Finished."

YAY!!!!!

message 40: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
Yep! Her.

Honey Hawthorne AWJ any thoughts?

Asa did you get to start it yet? I suggest you do before March 31st....

Klymene, did you see my username!!! I changed it...

Others in the group, hey.

Honey Hawthorne I think this group should win an award for most active group with less than 10 members......

message 43: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) yes! we should.
And I did see your username! it stands out more now. I finally got the connection between your username and your picture, you know, bees make honey...

message 44: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
Lol, Klymene....

Honey, the book just arrived at my doorstep and I am starting it as I type.

message 45: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) you bought the book?!

message 46: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
Yeah.... I reread books allot, so....

message 47: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Sorry, I probably over reacted. I never buy books, except in summer, when Barnes and Noble does that free book thing. Yeah, I'm too old for it now, but I get my sisters to read alot or I use my own books to fill out sheets under my sisters names and then we submit them in the 4 plus locations within half an hour of our house. It's cheating but we love the books. There's a maximum number of books per store, so we maximize the number of stores.

Honey Hawthorne Wow....

I only buy books because I just like the way it looks on my shelf...

message 49: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) lol

Honey Hawthorne Yep....

« previous 1