The Dark Side Audio Bookclub discussion

Who are your favorite Narrators?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 9 comments I will start off with Fred Berman.Dance With The Devil

message 2: by Vikki (new)

Vikki | 11 comments I just finished Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong and the narrator was Aasne Vigesaa. I though she did a great job. The inflection was great and the various voices (mens) worked so well.

message 3: by Dharma (new)

Dharma Kurlind (DharmaLostArtAudio) | 15 comments Oh, that's kinda tough. Hmm... I really love Lorelei King, who's just spectacular in Patricia Briggs's Mercedes Thompson series. It has a revolving cast of over fifteen reoccurring and important characters throughout the series and Lorelei King has distinct and consistent voices for each and every one of them. She even gives distinction between Mercy’s voice and the narrative voice, which is pretty important when you are listening to a first-person narration rather than reading a book.

I like Marguerite Gavin, who you might know from Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series and Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan/the Hollows series. She has a strong radio-like voice, which has a sing-song quality to it. It takes about an hour to get used to the cadence that draws out the end of sentences, but once you do, it becomes part and parcel of the way you hear the story. She does fantastic accents and convincing male voices.

All of Molly Harper’s audiobooks, including How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf, are narrated by Amanda Roncini. Her voice is perfect for the part. It’s light, slightly scratchy, not particularly accented – faintly tinted with something vaguely Southern. Amanda Roncini does a great snarky voice for a snarky comical narration, and she’s able to pull off the punch lines just right.

Phil Gigante does a great job on number of Karen Marie Moning books. When his voice makes its debut appearance as Barrons in Dreamfever Dreamfever , I literally jumped (I hadn’t been paying attention that there were going to be two narrators and was not expecting it). I wouldn’t say that Dreamfever is a metaphorical page turner, but I got through the book faster than usual because I wanted to hear Phil Gigante's voice reading Barrons’s lines.

I also like Tavia Gilbert in Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. She has a young feminine voice that at-home for young adult novels. Also, in the recent This Side of the Grave This Side of the Grave, although not a YA novel, Tavia’s voice rings true for Cat. Also, her Cockney accent is spot-on for Bones. Moreover, Tavia really knows how to read a sex scene.

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana (sidstalker) | 23 comments Mod
I agree, Phil does a great job in Dreamfever and Shadowfever, considering in the first three books the narrator was awful. Her Barron's voice, horrible!

I find myself enjoying male narrators more than females for some reason. However Natalie Ross is a great Mac in Dream and Shadowfever, much more true to the age and personality of the character than the first female.

One female that I feel truly captures the spirit of the character is Johanna Parker in the Sookie Stackhouse books. Her male voices are sometimes funny but never annoying enough for me to cringe at.

message 5: by Dharma (new)

Dharma Kurlind (DharmaLostArtAudio) | 15 comments Oh, Johanna Parker is spectacular in the Southern Vampire Mystery Series. I listened to the audiobooks after watching the first season of True Blood, and her voice was so spot-on, I thought it was Anna Paquin.

That's what was missing for me from Natalie Ross's reading. She didn't really do Southern accents for Mac and, well, if she's really two months removed from a podunk town from Georgia, she should have one.

A really great narrator who does a spectacular, yet mild, Southern accent is Lauren Fortgang in Jennifer Estep's Jin Blanco/Elemental Assassin series. It's absolutely perfect.

message 6: by Quick ben (new)

Quick ben (senseiping) James Masters for Dresden files is my all time favorite,he doesn't just narrate the books he acts them out and Marguerite Gavin for the hollows ,Kitty Norville and the valor series.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Southard (ssouthard) | 2 comments Davina Porter, she did the Outlander books.
Davina really brings the books to life!

message 8: by Taria (last edited Oct 26, 2011 04:48PM) (new)

Taria Reed (tariar) Phil Gigante (Karen Moning's last two fever books and her highlander series) I swear any book with a scotish brogue should be read by a man, especially by Phil Gigante. SUPER SEXY!

Max Bellemore (Lords of the Underworld)
Johanna Parker (Sookie) is made of awesome
Lauren Fortgang did a fantastic job with the Elemental Assasin books
Tavia Gilbert is awesome on a stick
Cynthia Holloway sucked while reading Anita Blake but knocked it outta the park when she read Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer books
Fred Berman who read some of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter books
The guy who read J. R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood books. What's his name? (it's on the tip of my pizza burned tongue).

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 5 comments Kathleen wrote: "I will start off with Fred Berman.Dance With The Devil"

Agree'd!!!!

Acquinnette the Amazon (willowyamazon) | 2 comments I like Kate Reading

message 11: by Cynthia (last edited Jun 29, 2012 03:43AM) (new)

Cynthia (scent45) | 2 comments Dick Hill, Susan Ericksen, and Aanna Fields.

message 12: by Taria (new)

Taria Reed (tariar) Robert Petkoff comes in at a close second for my favorite male narrator.

message 13: by Annie (new)

Annie (annielovesaudiobooks) | 2 comments LOVE LOVE LOVE Jim Dale (Harry Potter) as well as Johanna Parker (Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Mysteries).