Pianist Haven (for piano enthusiasts) discussion

Recitals/Competitions > Concerts in your area

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Katerina (klymene) | 406 comments Mod
Post concerts that are happening near you and maybe some footage!

message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid None. Sadness. Once my teacher forced (Okay we all begged to go) to the symphony because an amazing pianist was performing. It was beautiful, but a few years ago.

message 3: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Angela hewitt. Best Bach ever

message 4: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid YUS! I love her. Someday I want to see her perform.

message 5: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

All those youtube videos of her are the best

message 6: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 427 comments Mod
She's great on Chopin too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zys8f3...

message 7: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I never knew she played Chopin. I shouldn't be surprised though. Beautiful.

message 8: by Jeanne (last edited Jun 02, 2011 10:04PM) (new)

A broadcast that can be heard on line ...

Saturday at 4:00 p.m. (Pacific Daylight Time), KING-FM 98.1, will air a program of classical music used in movie scores. KING-FM is available world-wide on the internet. http://www.king.org

This should be fun. We've all heard some of these -- eg., the Mozart piano concerto used as a theme in Elvira Madigan I'm curious to hear which pieces will be played and which movies used them.

message 9: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Speaking of recitals,
I had my last recital of the year today.
Apparently I made someone cry.
It is just amazing how much music can speak to different people.

message 10: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Congrats! In my opinion, making someone cry while playing music is that best achievement ever!

message 11: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Thank you!
I must say, I was definitely surprised when he told me that. It made me pleased though.
This recital made me happy in general. So many beautiful pieces played so well.
Have any of you heard Ballade Pour Adeline? It is a beautiful piece. One girl played it today and I shivered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_m8uM...

message 12: by Jeanne (new)

Ballade Pour Adeline, composed as an instrumental piece, was also made into a vocal piece that became a popular song known by another name. Maybe the song was popular before you were born?
The tune is exactly the same. I wish I could think of the name of the pop song.

message 13: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hmmm, I never knew that. I've always just heard it as a instrumental piece in the studio.
That is very interesting though.

message 14: by Jeanne (new)

The composer wrote it for his new baby daughter, but I didn't know that until now. I always thought it was a love song.
I don't remember if it was a popular song in the U.S. or in France. Some or all of the words are in French. The main melody ends with the words "et je t'aime" and again -- at the end of the song is "et je t'aime" (twice).

message 15: by Jeanne (new)

Three or four years ago, I decided to listen to and try to learn the words of some French songs -- as a fun way to become more fluent in French. So this is where I might have heard the vocal version.

message 16: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

This isn't a concert. It's a Broadway Musical! Stages Theatre in Hopkins, MN is doing Annie Jr! and I'm in it. Our director challenged us to get 1000 view on it by the end of the week. So if you have any spare time, please watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lhKJi...
And while you're at it, see if you can guess which one is me. And which one's my sister. And which one is the only other asian in the show and isn't related to us but is still really cute!

message 17: by Jeanne (new)

Okay, my visual-memory abilities aren't great, but I'll guess that you are the one wearing Pocohantas braids. Your sister is the one in the pinafore, and the other Asian girl is the younger one shown toward the end of the clip.

message 18: by Jeanne (new)

When are you performing, Klymene?

message 19: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Sorry, I don't do braids! :) Dani does braids and she has a costume, which is probably the pinafore thing. In fact I think all of your guesses are my sister. lol

The show opens July 1st. Here's the performance schedule: http://www.stagestheatre.org/upcoming...
If you click the blue Download button, you'll have the doc that has the sched on it

message 20: by Jeanne (new)

Klymene,

Then, is that you playing clarinet and is that you holding up the program (or book) -- the seventh time it is held up?

message 21: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Yup! You guessed right. It's awkward to be pictured playing the Clarinet

message 22: by Jeanne (new)

I like your clarinet photo, but since it's in profile, the viewer doesn't see your whole face.

message 23: by Jeanne (new)

I saw a photo of a major orchestra from the 1950's. The musicians were ALL men, except for the harpist. The headline for this orchestra advertisement was
Forty-four men and a girl! Ouch.

message 24: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Is the girl suppose to be a good thing for advertisement, or a bad thing? If it was the latter, I'd be offended

message 25: by Jeanne (new)

Either way, it's offensive. It's the old sexism thing.
First of all there are no women in the orchestra playing violin, cello, brass, or anything -- except for the harpist. And of course they wouldn't have a man playing the harp in this place and time, because it wasn't considered a manly instrument.
And then, why are they calling her a girl? Is she fifteen years old or younger? She is probably about the same age as some of the other players. So shouldn't they advertise it as Forty-four men and one woman? Or maybe Forty-four boys and a girl Hee hee!

message 26: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

She probably never married... possibly. Girl=maiden back then, right?

message 27: by Jeanne (new)

That's a possibility. Although, I remember back in the 1940's and 1950's, it seems that women were usually called "ladies". The term "women" often had connotations of 'wild women' or 'loose women'. They could have advertised their orchestra as forty-four gentlemen and one lady, in keeping with the usual labels of those times. But, "girl"?

message 28: by Jeanne (new)

Angela Hewitt is coming to play at the University of Washington President's Piano Series! When? Tuesday, May 15, 2012. She will play works by Bach, Rameau, and Couperin.

The UW has installed a screen above the stage, so no matter where you sit, you can see the pianists' keyboard technique.

message 29: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

*groans* Angela Hewitt is my piano Idol. Will she becoming to the Midwest anytime soon?

message 30: by Jeanne (new)

Here's her U.S. schedule for the coming year. She's also playing in London, Switzerland, etc.
http://www.angelahewitt.com/pdfeventl...

It looks like you'll need to go to one of our coasts to see her. Nashville is as inland as she gets.

message 31: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

*groans again* I love her so much. Well, I love her music

message 32: by Vrixton (new)

Vrixton Phillips (sirredcrosse) sdflkjhdfkgjhsdlfkjd SHE'S COMING TO ATLANTA AND PLAYING TOMBEAU DE COUPERIN!!!!!!!

And Faure's Theme and Variations

oh. my. goodness.

Wish I knew how to get tickets...

message 33: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

If there's a will there's a way! I believe in you!

message 34: by Jeanne (new)

Vrixton,

You probably need to research the tickets now. I don't know about Atlanta, but in Seattle, Angela will be playing in Meany Hall on the University of Washington campus. It's a wonderful place to hear a soloist because it's a small auditorium. To compound the difficulty of obtaining a ticket, her concert is part of the President's Piano Series, so most of the tickets already belong to season subscribers.

message 35: by Vrixton (new)

Vrixton Phillips (sirredcrosse) fff $65 per ticket... that's rough.
Especially since I'm already paying $80 for a 4-concert Atlanta Symphony subscription >.<
I think I may have to miss out on seeing her play :[

On a good note, though, that subscription should include Beethoven's Choral Symphony [finally talked my mother into going with me lol she has an aversion to it since watching A Clockwork Orange], The St. Matthew Passion, Elgar's Cello Concerto, and A Flowering Tree by John Adams.
:3 I'm excited about that.

Also, there's this discount for add-on concerts, so hopefully I'll get to see more for $18 a seat [sitting in the very, very back, but it the sound is better there anyway. Also, being handicapped at the moment is showing some perks cuz they get a discount lol] like Handel's Messiah, which I've never seen all of.

It's a pretty exciting season.

And don't get me started on the Atlanta Ballet and Opera, their seasons this year are pretty cool too.
Counting down to poverty in 3... 2... 1...

message 36: by Jeanne (new)

Spending money on live music is good for the soul. Just keep enough $$ for food. ;-)

message 37: by Vrixton (new)

Vrixton Phillips (sirredcrosse) That's the beauty of living with the 'rents ;) Never have to worry about food.

message 38: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Oh, my. I just went to the U of MN collage concert. I'm so glad I went. Alexander Braginsky played the end and he's amazing. He's the piano teacher of many of the piano competition winners in the twin cities area of Minnesota. And he's a professor at the U. Wow

message 39: by Jeanne (new)

Fantastic, Klymene! If you go to college there, maybe he could be your teacher.

message 40: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Is anyone thinking about College, yet? How did you make your choice, Jeanne?

message 41: by Jeanne (new)

Hi Klymene,

How did I make my choice of college? I only applied to two schools -- the ones I really would like in my state, and I went to the one that offered the best scholarship. But, I wasn't a music major, though I did play in the band and took private flute lessons there.

With my daughter the musician, it was different. We visited the campuses of music conservatories -- New England Conservatory (Boston), Juilliard School of Music,(NYC), Peabody School of Music at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore), and Oberlin Music Conservatory (Ohio). She was accepted at all but one. She was accepted by the top teacher at Oberlin and they also offered the best scholarship plus financial aid package, so the choice was easy. She earned her bachelor's degree in viola performance and then went to the New England Conservatory and earned her Master's Degree.

message 42: by Jeanne (new)

Well, that was a long post and I didn't even mention where I went to school. It was the University of Washington and my degree is in English Literature and English Composition.

Musicians often go where they find the teacher they want because so much depends on having the teacher who can help you learn the most.

Another thing musicians often do, if it's a full university, is to declare two majors -- one in music and one academic. Then if the music doesn't work out the way they like, they have a plan B. Often, the music experience is wonderful and they drop the second major. It's possible to double major, but music is quite demanding, so why not take other subjects in an area of interest, but not subject yourself to the demands of two departments.

message 43: by L. (new)

L. (weavelin) | 9 comments I agree with Jeanne--if you're serious about music, you go where you have teachers you work best with or want to learn from. This is especially if not absolutely important if you go on to do post-graduate work. If you're not as competitive, though, there's nothing wrong with going to your state university to get a feel for what you want to do.

As for double majoring... it's not for the faint of heart if one of your degrees is music. Or, I guess, if you're not in a performance degree that requires 6 hours of practice a day. I've only know one performance classmate who was double-majoring, and that was in math... I think it will take her a full 6 years to get her undergrad. (I tried to double-major in computer science before I went insane trying to get programming labs and practicing done at the same time.) It depends entirely on what the other major is. But regardless, you'll take longer to graduate than if you just did the one major.. But a minor can always be easily fit in somewhere.

Also, Jeanne, your daughter sounds absolutely fabulous. My only connection to the viola is working at the Primrose International Viola Archive and I think it's a fabulous instrument.

(Also, hi, first post here. I'm finishing up my BA in Music by April and hope to be working on my masters and doctorate in musicology by the end of next year.)

message 44: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

What do you think of doing a double major with music and business, Lindsay? I'm a PSEO student, so I've got another 2 years ahead of everyone else.

message 45: by L. (new)

L. (weavelin) | 9 comments If you have the time, energy, and funds available, I'd say definitely go for it. Business degrees in general are pretty shiny and a music degree is usually icing on the cake--or so I've been told by my entrepreneur relatives. Even if you end up in a job that isn't strictly music-related, a music degree proves you're disciplined and able to work hard. The business degree might also help recoup any debt you acquired getting the music degree.

In my experience, the only danger is burning out and destroying your GPA.

message 46: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Lol, I don't think I can possibly ever burn out. I've tried, while I was studying for the AP test. Did you try to get a scholarship in music?

message 47: by L. (new)

L. (weavelin) | 9 comments I was an IB student and didn't think it was possible to burn out, either, but college is completely different animal--even for students used to a full load of AP courses.

I didn't try for scholarship in music or otherwise, mostly because my ACT score was too low and I couldn't possibly compete with the music students jockeying for scholarship. Piano, voice, and violin tend to be the most competitive studios in any music school.. so if you get scholarship, you have to be fiendishly good. I barely made it into the music school as it is with my audition XD

But if you're confident in your skills, definitely go for it. Apply for all the financial aid you can get.

message 48: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Thanks for the advice. Where are you going to college?

message 49: by L. (new)

L. (weavelin) | 9 comments Brigham Young University. In terms of cost and education, it's the best school in the state for my circumstances. After I graduate, I'm hoping to go to NYU or Yale (ahh, wishful dreams).

How about you? Where are you thinking?

(...As we derail the subject of this thread XD)

message 50: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

(It always happens)

Have you heard of Alexander Braginsky or lydia artymiw?

« previous 1