Pianist Haven (for piano enthusiasts) discussion

Recitals/Competitions > Recital/Competition Prep

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Katerina (klymene) | 406 comments Mod
This is where those who need moral support, or just want to talk about/for their next competition or recital can.

message 2: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

hey everyone!!!! I have a competition this saturday!!! Oh, and I'm just a little nervous. I've been doing this competition for 4 years, and I've gotten into the finalists 3 times. and I've NEVER placed. THIS IS THE YEAR!!! I really, really want to place this year!. Oh, and my best friend is in it to. What should I do if we both get into the finalists?! What if I win, or she wins, and the other looses?!
Ah!!!! I'm going crazy

message 3: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 427 comments Mod
Just do your best, Klymene. If you win, your friend will be glad for you. If she wins, you will be glad for her.

message 4: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 19 comments Yea, good luck!! I've never done a performance or recital or competition with piano. My parents don't like that :(

message 5: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Why not? It's really, really fun to do. The adreneline that comes with performing feels great! why not do a festival? where you'll get feedback, but no actual rankings?

message 6: by Jeanne (new)

Ti,

Performing for others is like giving them a gift. If you don't do public performances, I hope you get to play for family, friends, and the other students in your studio. My mother wasn't allowed to play in recitals because her parents thought that was showing off, but she was allowed to play for church on a regular basis and this was a great experience for her. She even became very adept at transposing, so if a singer thought a song was too high, she could play it in a lower key.

message 7: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Offeratory performances are a great idea, Jeanne!

Honey Hawthorne I'm sure you'll do great Klymene. Wow, you are soooo good. I am listening to Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1 right now (played by you). VERY VERY VERY VERY GOOD. If you play that in the competition I am sure you'll win.

As for you friend, well, if you are really friends, neither one will feel bad after losing. If you lose, which I highly doubt, be happy for your friend. If she loses, and she is really your friend, she will be happy for you. If you both lose, well, then you can be sad.

message 9: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 19 comments MMmmm. I just don't have that kind of opportunity. :(

message 10: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Thanks for the feedback Honey.
I think you'd like competitions, Ti

Honey Hawthorne Great!

message 12: by Jeanne (new)

Wonderful, Brooke! Since the competition went really well, you must have managed the nerves all right. Congratulations!

message 13: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Congrats! The adrenline balanced the nerves! I tend to play better when I perform on the piano, versus when I practice. Do you?

message 14: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) I do, but when i play my pieces for my teacher I always mess up in places that I never messed up in before.

message 15: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

There's something about teachers that makes me do that too.

message 16: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) yeah, i'm not sure what it is...

message 17: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

But still, it kinda prepares me for a performance

Honey Hawthorne Lol, whenever I play in front of my teacher I never mess up. Even if I didn't practice a lot, I always do better than I did by myself...

message 19: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I am so Jealous, it's like that for me but only on my clarinet...

message 20: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) Ditto, except for the clarinet part...

Honey Hawthorne My teacher is really nice.......

And we don't do many recitals (one/two a year) so there is never any pressure.

message 22: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Yikes my piano competition is tomorrow! When those of you who do competitions, play at a competition, do you ALWAYS get to play on a grand piano, for your performance piece?

message 23: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) yeah, I think I always have, mostly baby grands. I can't think of a time that i've played on an upright at a competition...

message 24: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

The feeling of a grand is just... well, grand! I love grand pianos

message 25: by Jeanne (new)

Break a leg, Klymene! Do you know this expression? Once upon a time someone decided it was bad luck to say "Good Luck" to an actor before a performance. Thus, they came up with a new expression of encouragement... Break a leg!

message 26: by Jeanne (new)

Waiting to hear about Klymene's experience at the competition ...

message 27: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

hey! The competition went well. I played almost perfectly, just one minor mistake that I could hardly hear my self. But I didn't make it to finalist round. I'm in the youngest grade in my category so that is one reason, possibly. Another possible reason is that my piece wasn't hard, and many of the other entries played very difficult pieces

message 28: by Jeanne (new)

Fantastic, Klymene! Knowing you prepared well and played well is the greatest reward. There's a tendency in these competitions not to award prizes to the younger players unless they very clearly outplayed everyone! You have time to learn and grow. You're on your way!

message 29: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Thanks.

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Hey. I have this recital coming up in may. I should post my song (Linus and Lucy) up here for you to see.

message 31: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Yes you should, I really want to hear what that arrangement sounds like

Honey Hawthorne I have a recital coming up on May 18 too! I already learned one of my pieces though and I'm half way through the second...

message 33: by Jeanne (new)

Hannah,
We would love to see your song. Do you already have a recording or video of you playing it? I've never heard the Linus and Lucy song.

Honey,
What will you play for your recital? I love recitals! If any of you ever have a performance scheduled in the Seattle area, please let me know.

Honey Hawthorne I will if ever but I don't do much recitals besides school music recitals.

I will be playing Chopin's Waltz in A Minor which is pretty easy and Balalaika which is a little more difficult, but I've already learned it all. I'm probably going to finish the waltz halfway through April, but I'd need to continue practicing it so I don't forget it.

message 35: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Good luck in your recital.

message 36: by Jeanne (new)

Wow, that's fantastic, Hannah! Congratulations! Did you play any other piece in addition to the Prelude in E minor?

message 37: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Hannah wrote: "I just had a piano competition a couple weeks ago. I played Prelude in E minor, and I played it perfectly, and got a perfect score! I was really glad."

Congrats! It feels great when one plays a piece completely perfectly!

message 38: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I know!

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily I wish it were always like that!

message 40: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Yeah, me too. *sigh* I play it perfectly when practicing, but when I record myself or perform it...

Honey Hawthorne Hannah wrote: "I just had a piano competition a couple weeks ago. I played Prelude in E minor, and I played it perfectly, and got a perfect score! I was really glad."

PRELUDE IN E MINOR!!!! THAT IS MY FAVORITE SONG ON THE PIANO!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Good for you:D

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Nice.

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily I have a recital coming up. I'm playing Polonaise in A Major (commonly called the Military Polonaise) by Chopin. It is really powerful, like an Army General or something. I love playing it.

message 44: by Jeanne (new)

Polonaise in A Major is a fantastic piece! I wish we could all come to your recital, Emily! Any chance of a video to post here?

message 45: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Good luck, Emily!

message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily Thanks! I'll try to post a video.

Honey Hawthorne Good luck from me too!

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily Thanks!

Honey Hawthorne :D

message 50: by Zoë (new)

Zoë Willis (zoecutegirl) | 15 comments Honey Hawthorne wrote: "I will if ever but I don't do much recitals besides school music recitals.

I will be playing Chopin's Waltz in A Minor which is pretty easy and Balalaika which is a little more difficult, but I'v..."

I played that recently for a recital. It's easy, but I love how much you can put expression into it.

« previous 1 3