Pianist Haven (for piano enthusiasts) discussion

Feedback > Post videos here!

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (last edited Mar 23, 2011 06:30PM) (new)

Katerina (klymene) | 406 comments Mod
Post the videos that you would like feedback on here. When giving feedback, please be courteous, and not rude.

message 2: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbW1IU...
So this is a video of me playing the Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1. It's all black because I only took audio. It's on my friend youtube account. I'm so open to feed back.
Two things: What to improve on and How you felt when you heard it, as in did it make you cry?
And compare it to this video of a pro pianist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llni1D...
Thanks!

message 3: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 427 comments Mod
A lovely lovely piece, Klymene. It sounds lonely. I like the 'touch' in the right hand, but I only heard the pro version. When I tried to access yours, a sign came up that said it is private.

message 4: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

sorry, here's the new link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbW1IU...

message 5: by Jeanne (last edited Mar 07, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

Klymene,

Your playing is gorgeous! The only difference I hear between your version and the pro version is that the other player is doing more with dynamics. If you listen to the pro with the sound on your speakers turned low at the beginning, you'll notice that the first part has a soft and distant sound. Then notice the changes.

Your playing is very expressive, so I think it's just a difference in dynamics. The changes in dynamics bring the emotions across to the listener. Sometimes we think we are making significant changes, but for the listener to get them, we need to exaggerate them.

Your interpretation shows an emotional maturity, so there's no problem with being a young player here.
(Sometimes younger players focus only on technique, but that's not you.) I'm very impressed with your playing.

Here's an idea -- if you make up a little story about the song and think of it when you are playing, the dynamic changes will feel natural. What kind of story? Dramatic. A story of loss and intense yearning, ending with quiet acceptance. Or whatever feels right for you. This can work wonders. Let us know if this helps, okay?

message 6: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I can't find a story!!! It's so hard. Last time, when I played a bach song, I thought of Eragon, but I can't rind ANY stories!!

Honey Hawthorne You've read Eragon! (sry sorta of topic...) I like that book. We have a discussion going on about it in my reading group...It's a bad discussion considering there are only five members......

message 8: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

What's your group called? I'll join. What do you think of my video?

Honey Hawthorne LOVE IT. It is sooooooo good. I haven't seen the professional one yet, but I think you played it really well. I only heard one fumble/hesitation during that whole like 10 minute piece.

The group is called For Those Who Read...You really don't have to join if you don't like it....

message 10: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I think I'll join, I owe you one for you joining this group. The peice is 5 minutes :-)

message 11: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

It says membership is restricted....

Honey Hawthorne Awww.. let me check...

Honey Hawthorne Try now.

message 14: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

You know, alot of groups' pages say that to me. Eleanor's (from Olympian Hunger Games) group said that to me too.

message 15: by Jeanne (new)

Klymene,

You don't need to find a story that matches the piece. You make up a story from the sounds. Example, when my daughter was a kid and taking piano lessons, her teacher gave her a piece called "The Bear".

It was just one chord after another all the way through -- a truly "lumbering" piece. I knew this piece would be hard to play with expression so I made a little story for my daughter. She was nine or ten years old at the time. "A bear wakes up, leaves her cave, and walks through the woods. She is VERY HUNGRY. She is sooo hungry that she is in a grumpy mood. She goes to the stream to catch a fish. She tries and tries to catch one, but they get away. She tries harder and gets more and more focused on catching the fish. Finally, she has one! She eats it and is happy again. Contented, she walks back to her cave to rest".

message 16: by Jeanne (new)

When my daughter played this for a recital, the audience loved it.

message 17: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

That's so cute! Thanks for the advice

message 18: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) i thik I remember someone doing that once a few years ago. It probably was't your daughter, but I remember thinking it was cute.

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah U are awesome Klymene!

message 20: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Aw, Gee, Hannah, Thanks1!

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah :D

message 22: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

This is my mom's channel. It has all my videos and all videos of my sister on it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/gnowrs007

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah nice

Honey Hawthorne Your sister is a good singer. I really liked the prayer although I only got to listen to the first part ((my brother is watching basketball so he won't let me put volume on my computer)) Do you sing as well? And does she play piano ((although I feel as though you've already said she does))? Where were you when you played that piece by Chopin?

message 25: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I used to sing, but when I sing with Dani, she outshines me by a mile. Besides, I'm more for piano. I was at church when I played the Chopin. Dani does play Piano. She's in a play right now too.
I glad you like her and my videos!

message 26: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) What play?

message 27: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Princess Academy, based on the book by shannon Hale

message 28: by Jeanne (new)

Oh what fun! I read Princess Academy and enjoyed it very much. I didn't know that someone has done a theater version.

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily Shannon Hale (the author) is my dad's cousin!!! Sorry, I had to brag for a second... :)

message 30: by Jeanne (new)

No kidding! Please tell cousin Shannon that her stories appeal to all ages! She has many admirers!

message 31: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Video and Description here: http://www.stagestheatre.org/upcoming...

message 32: by Jeanne (new)

Wow, this is a professional production! It's a musical, right? I listened to the song -- I wonder if it was a song of the miners. Nice.
It's great to see a play about children/teens where young people get the parts. I've seen too many plays about kids where adults play all the roles.

message 33: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Yes, it is. And it is a musical!

message 34: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I loved River Secrets, just saying.

message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Personally my fav is Goose Girl

message 36: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Nothing can ever beat the first book of a series

message 37: by Jeanne (last edited Apr 16, 2011 04:36PM) (new)

Maybe we can open a discussion -- "Piano Enthusiasts' Favorite Books" and move messages 35 to current there. This way, we'll have a place for book discussion and save this thread for video links.

message 38: by Jeanne (new)

Okay, look under the Welcome sign for Piano Enthusiasts' Favorite Books... a place to relax and talk with friends about our other enthusiasm.;-)

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily Ooh, good idea!

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 22, 2011 04:31PM) (new)

Here are 2 of my favorite utube piano channels.
One of them is piano tutorials, while the other one is just playing more popular songs by requests.
Here are the links:
http://www.youtube.com/user/gotitans9... - Great Piano Tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/user/Iwillbot - great piano Playing

Oh, and btw, Klymene you play so beautifully!
You make me sound bad when i have been playing for 10 years! lol
I am a huge fan of Chopin!
Great job! :D

message 41: by Jeanne (last edited Apr 23, 2011 10:25PM) (new)

Thanks, Lauren! I had to smile and laugh at the great party tricks here...very innovative.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Iwillbot#...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha ha! I know!
He is crazy good!

message 43: by Montana (new)

Montana Phan (phanofmontana) | 32 comments Klymene wrote: "Video and Description here: http://www.stagestheatre.org/upcoming..."

That is really cool! I also profusely enjoyed your Chopin Nocturne. =D