Black Dagger Brotherhood Book Club discussion

Monthly Book Discussions > BDB #1: Dark Lover

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Apr 10, 2011 06:53PM) (new)

Ashley Gooding (agooding) | 24 comments Mod
It's time!!!!!

Welcome to the first Black Dagger Brotherhood Book Club!

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

This month, we read Book 1 in the Series: Dark Lover. About the book (Goodreads): In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing their enemies more than Wrath, the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood...

The only purebred vampire left on the planet, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But when one of his most trusted fighters is killed - orphaning a half-breed daughter unaware of her heritage or her fate - Wrath must usher the beautiful female into the world of the undead...

Racked by a restlessness in her body that wasn't there, Beth Randall is helpless against the dangerously sexy man who comes at night with shadows in his eyes. His tales of brotherhood and blood frighten her. But his touch ignites a dawning hunger that threatens to consume them both...

I'm going to post just the questions and linky list on the post. I'll come back and post again with my answers so the post isn't too cluttered! =)

As far as answering the questions: these are just meant to provoke thought and get you talking about the book. With that being said, we'd all appreciate a more thorough response than "yes" or "no," but, of course, that will be up to you!

And now, this month's questions:
1. On a scale from 1-5, what would you rate this book? Briefly tell us why.

2. What did you think of the alternating point of views (Darius, Beth, Butch, Wrath, Marissa, Mr. X, Havers...)?

3. What did you think of the new language Ward created? (i.e. Shellan, Princeps, Doggen, etc.) Did it help pull you into the story or distract you?

4. We all know that this series is Paranormal Romance -- and we all know that's the good stuff, however, did you feel that Beth and Wrath moved a little too quickly in the beginning? How did you feel about these events given what had happened to Beth the night before?

5. What did you think of Zsadist's surprise signing abilities?

6. How about that offer Havers made Zsadist in the end? Did you think Zsadist would do it? Do you think Havers punishment for this incident (or lack thereof) was fair?

7. What did you think of Darius' decision to come back from The Fade, but never again know his daughter? What would you have done given the same choice?

8. Compare the Brotherhood Books (on first impression) to other vampire series that you've read. Is is better or worse and how so?

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Gooding (agooding) | 24 comments Mod
5 all the way! I lovedddd this book. The action was plentiful, the romance steamy, and those brothers? More please! Ward wrote a fantastic book.

2. What did you think of the alternating point of views (Darius, Beth, Butch, Wrath, Marissa, Mr. X, Havers...)?
Overall, I really liked it. I'm not going to lie, I hated Mr. X's point of view. I really wanted to focus on Beth and Wrath, so anyone that took away from them depressed me (or made me mad, depending on who they were). It was really helpful to see the story for all the different angles and to really know what was going on.

3. What did you think of the new language Ward created? (i.e. Shellan, Princeps, Doggen, etc.) Did it help pull you into the story or distract you?
It was a learning curve at first. I got tired of looking up all the words when I forgot what they meant. Again, I think this added to the book since it helped pull you into the story and made Ward's world come to life -- so to speak.

4. We all know that this series is Paranormal Romance -- and we all know that's the good stuff -- however, did you feel that Beth and Wrath moved a little too quickly in the beginning? How did you feel about these events given what had happened to Beth the night before?
Wayyyyy to fast for me. I am all for the romance and getting hot and heavy, but considering what had happened to Beth just a few short hours before (near rape), it was too quick for me. Even more so when you think about Wrath, scary looking as he can be, waltzing into her apartment in the dead of night. I would have liked a little more interaction between them before they jumped into bed on the futon.

That was definitely interesting. I'm still trying to figure out why Ward would give him that quality. I'm wondering if it's suppose to be some sort of redeeming quality -- one that shows he is human (well you know what I mean) and that he's not an evil minion of sorts. I'm hoping this skill fleshes out more in future books and that I'm not just reading into it too much!

6. How about that offer Havers made Zsadist in the end? Did you think Zsadist would do it? Do you think Havers punishment for this incident (or lack thereof) was fair?
Um - whoa! I reallllyyyy though Zsadist would make good on it. I guess I should have known better. I'm glad that he didn't and that he really seems to be a good guy. And Havers punishment? Total joke. Yeah, he nursed Wrath back to health, but seriously? No punishment of any sort? I'm disappointed.

7. What did you think of Darius' decision to come back from The Fade, but never again know his daughter? What would you have done given the same choice?
That's tricky. I didn't care for that choice -- what's the point if he'll never know her again? But on the other hand, I've never been a parent, so I guess I just don't know that feeling. I honestly can't say what I would have done in that situation.

8. Compare the Brotherhood Books (on first impression) to other vampire series that you've read. Is is better or worse and how so?
Better. I loved the Undead series and Twilight, but this is much better than those. It feels a lot less superficial and more real. I'd say it's along the lines of the Southern Vampire Series (Sookie Stackhouse), but better than that as well. I love how dark it is, but at the same time, the romance still fits and stills makes the book steamy perfection! =)

message 3: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) 1. On a scale from 1-5, what would you rate this book? Briefly tell us why. I rated this a 4. Here's a link to my review.

2. What did you think of the alternating point of views (Darius, Beth, Butch, Wrath, Marissa, Mr. X, Havers...)? I didn't really mind it. Normally I find it kind of jarring, but in this case I liked having the different perspectives.

3. What did you think of the new language Ward created? (i.e. Shellan, Princeps, Doggen, etc.) Did it help pull you into the story or distract you? I liked it. I thought it made the world seem more authentic and added some extra weight to the story. I also appreciated the glossary, though. :)

4. We all know that this series is Paranormal Romance -- and we all know that's the good stuff, however, did you feel that Beth and Wrath moved a little too quickly in the beginning? How did you feel about these events given what had happened to Beth the night before? I do think that Beth's reaction was surprising given the previous events, but I also think Ward did a good job establishing that this is fairly normal behavior for someone transitioning. I bought into it quite easily.

5. What did you think of Zsadist's surprise signing abilities? I thought it softened him a little. For someone I really didn't like for much of the book, the end made him a bit easier to root for.

6. How about that offer Havers made Zsadist in the end? Did you think Zsadist would do it? Do you think Havers punishment for this incident (or lack thereof) was fair? I didn't think Zsadist was a traitor, despite his affectations. He may be damaged and a bit of a loose cannon, but I never believed he would cause harm to Wrath.

7. What did you think of Darius' decision to come back from The Fade, but never again know his daughter? What would you have done given the same choice? Gosh, what a tough choice! I don't know what I would have done. I felt like his only reason to come back was her and if he couldn't have that then what's the point? I hope there's more to this story in the next books.

8. Compare the Brotherhood Books (on first impression) to other vampire series that you've read. Is is better or worse and how so? I liked it, but not as much as the Sookie Stackhouse books. :)

message 4: by Nakesha (new)

Nakesha Brown (nakeshab) | 5 comments My answers to the questions. Also on my blog

Absolutely 5. I loved this book from beginning to end. Once I began reading I couldn't wait to learn more about all the other brothers. I was a little hesitant at first when I found out each book was about a different brother, I didn't know how it would all fit together. However, now I completely love the concept.

I liked the alternating point of view. You don't get too wrapped in what one person is thinking or feeling. You get a feel for the whole group. Aside from Mr. X and the lessers. I liked going between all the characters.

I liked the idea of the new language. It was amazing to me how she was able to do that and make the words flow so easy with english. It definately helped pull me further into the story, especially leelan. I love that word!

4. We all know that this series is Paranormal Romance -- and we all know that's the good stuff, however, did you feel that Beth and Wrath moved a little too quickly in the beginning? How did you feel about these events given what had happened to Beth the night before?
At first, I was like wow that was quick but it went with the flow of the story. They both needed each other in different ways. With Beth, it seemed like she couldn't control herself around him. And Wrath held himself off Marissa so we knew he wasn't some oversexed brute. Even though it was fast, it was the beginning of something.

Yeah, that shocked me and made me giggle at little. I still can't picture it, this huge scarred up tough warrior opening his mouth and sounding like a choir of angels. Yeah, that's a little funny to me.

I thought that Zsadist was going to do it. I really did. Havers was a dummy for even making the offer but I'm glad he didn't get punished because it was a misunderstanding. I'm soooo glad he didn't attempt to hurt Wrath though because I like Zsadist now.

I would have wanted to come back too and I have a feeling (even though I haven't gotten that far in the series) that he will be around in her his own way.

8. Compare the Brotherhood Books (on first impression) to other vampire series that you've read. Is is better or worse and how so? Well other than Twilight, this is the first vampire series that I have read and it is the best so far. No comparison.

message 5: by Disi (new)

Disi (danicaandrenos) 1. On a scale from 1-5, what would you rate this book? Briefly tell us why.
I would give it a four. I loved the main characters and the storyline was good too. I give it a four because I generally favor books and stories with a sense of humor. These are serious except for the encounters between Butch and Vishous.

I'm not a big fan of alternating points of view but this was ok. Although, I will say that I stopped reading anything by Mr. X. I know that's probably bad but for it really distracted me and I wasn't interested in anything but getting past it.

I liked the new language. I didn't have much trouble with keeping up. I read all the words in the beginning and then used context if I forgot. It wasn't too difficult.

I think they definitely moved too fast especially considering what happened the night before. This may seem weird considering I'm reading a romance but where was the personality attraction. It was all physical which admittedly is part of being with someone but I would say it shouldn't be all. The first encounter just happened so soon after that it was a little unbelievable.
I really loved that he could sign. It made a character that I hated into one I could give a chance to.

Havers really makes me angry. He's a character that I could really do without. He's just so self pitying that it disgusts me. I think he should have gotten a better punishment. I was questioning whether Zsadist was really that bad a guy. I'm not sure if I believed he would or not.

I don't think I would have done it. The whole reason for his coming back was so that he could see his daughter.

As I said before I really enjoy vampire series with more sense of humor and another thing is I like the women to be a little more powerful. Which is why I would say that for me they are worse. I like the Sookie Stackhouse series and Dark Hunter series more than I like this one. The world is great and the story is great but the characters are weak. The males emotionally weak while, the women are physically weak. I would still place it in my top three.

message 6: by Vamps R Us (new)

Vamps R Us (vampsrus) | 3 comments This is a tad late...but life got the better of me recently. So without further ado, here are my answers to the discussion for the first book of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series: Dark Lover by JR Ward.

I would rate it a 4 out of 5. See our review here for the reasoning behind the rating!

I love stories where we get a rounded and complete view of the plot line and setting. Marissa is not my favoirte character; I pretty much loathe her in all honesty. She strikes me as weak and so I tend to skim over her parts. The whole drama with the Omega and Mr X really intrigues me...the whole keep your friends close but your enemies closer lol. I really liked hearing from all the other characters and was deeply saddened that Darius' part was cut so short.

The language helps build the world. None of the terms are too far out there for me. Once I feel like I can't pronounce them or that they all sounds the same, is when I lose focus in a novel. Neither of which occurs for me with this series. I also love the snide slang terms and phrases that each brother uses; they make me giggle like a little school girl!

Yes! I was put off by Beth jumping in the saddle that fast after her almost rape. The connection that they share is well developed and the level of intense loyalty/love helps smooth it over with the reader, but it was still a bit of a shock.

5. What did you think of Zsadist's surprise singing abilities?

I love that Z has a soft 'angelic' center...just like a Rolo! Hehe!

Havers' offer was a display of pure cowardice. If he was so upset about how he thought his sister was treated, why didn't he bring it up to Wrath himself? I did think Zsadist might choose to go through with Havers' suggestion. All we know about Zsadist from the first part of the book is how violent and void of emotion he is. Havers' deserved a real punishment. I don't necessarily think he should have been put to death, but simply brushing it under the table is crap. (yes that was putting it eloquently)

Darius obviously wants to be close to his daughter, to be able to protect her from harm. I find this to be a noble and just cause. This speaks completely true to character, what little of an impression we got to have before the explosion. At the same time, if he never gets to know his daughter, then isn't the whole purpose of his returning a moot point? If I could be certain that I would get to be around my loved one, then I would definitely do it. It would be hard to lose those memories; however, if I got them back when I finally did pass into the Fade, I would be more willing to go through with it.

There really isn't another series that I have found that compares. I adore it, the characters are well built, the world is amazing, and the action/emotions are fiercely intense. In recent installments, the novels have more of an urban fantasy edge to them than the typical paranormal romance; but, I like my novels with more of an edge and less of the funny fluff, so it fits me perfectly! I have heard that Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is similar; however, I have not picked up on that series yet...though it is on the TBR pile.

~Helena

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dark Lover (other topics)