Pianist Haven (for piano enthusiasts) discussion

Current Repertoire > What you are currently playing.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 195 (195 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Katerina (klymene) | 406 comments Mod
This is where everyone can discuss their peices that they are currently playing.

message 2: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I've got a massive rep. list right now, but my favorites are Nocturne Op.9 No. 1 and Bach Prelude and Fugue in G Major

message 3: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 19 comments You all seem to play classical. I'm more of a jaz pianist.. working on the ever-famous "Misty"

message 4: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Recently, more than a few people have mentioned I should try jazz, but I just don't get the feel of it, I guess. What do you like most about Jazz?

message 5: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 19 comments I love the way it never does what you think it is going to do, and that it moves forward quicky. If you don't like jazz you are probably trying to play the wrong type. I have a friend who loves quick jazz, but I hate that. I LUV slow jazz though, but totally dismissed jazz at first just cuz I didn't like fast

message 6: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I guess i also have a bad experience with jazz. In seventh grade I was part of the jazz band as a pianist...

message 7: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 19 comments and?

message 8: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

And the band was terrible. Well, no, I just had a very boring part. And I'm not amazing at rhythym

message 9: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) i don't like jazz rythems, so that is why i don't play jazz.

message 10: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Well, I like complex rhythyms, except I find it harder to play.

message 11: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) yeah, i like songs with lots of grace notes

message 12: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 8 comments Klymene wrote: "Well, I like complex rhythyms, except I find it harder to play."

Me too! I'm playing Toccatina( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OILVp... not me playing)

Spinning Song (not me playing again)
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUCYIh... )

And Ballade
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFmLE7... )

message 13: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Is Spinning Song by Bober?

message 14: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 8 comments nope. Elmenreich.

message 15: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

hmmm. There are many songs called Spinning Song. There's one by Mendolssohn I played once. It was really, really fast

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nocturne_13) Nocturne in C# minor by Chopin (posthumous), Toccata for Two by Robert Vandhall, Touch a Rainbow by Dennis Alexander, Sonata in F minor by Beethoven

message 17: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

What Opus and Number is the Nocturne in C# Minor?

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nocturne_13) No. 20, Op. posthumous

message 19: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Does Posthumous mean that is was published after he died?

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nocturne_13) Yep

message 21: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 427 comments Mod
Yes. A most recent example of posthumous music publishing would Michael Jackson's songs and videos that hadn't been released at the time of his death.

message 22: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Is that legal? because I know that there were certian songs that some other composers didn't like and therefore didn't publish

message 23: by Jeanne (new)

I don't know if the composer's wishes are always respected after their death. Or, if the composer leaves his/her work to someone in a will, maybe the person who inherits the work can choose to publish the work or not.

message 24: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

There was author, the one who wrote Catcher in the Rye, I think, who never wanted it turned into a movie, and it never has been (I think). So I thought this applied to music too.

message 25: by Jeanne (new)

J.D. Salinger died last year, so it will be interesting to see if his wishes are respected.

message 26: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Who's that?

message 27: by Jeanne (new)

J.D. Salinger wrote Catcher in the Rye. He didn't like public attention and became reclusive, refusing to give interviews. He wrote two other books as well, but Catcher in the Rye is the one that sold millions and it continues to sell. If someone makes it into a good movie, it will do extremely well at the box office. I imagine the temptation to ignore Salinger's wishes is great.

message 28: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Oh, Thanks.

message 29: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I just made the most AMAZING discovery: Lorie Line. So, I know that most people have heard of her(I have too) but I had never played her music arrangements until now. And they are AMAZING. They are so beautiful and they make SENSE! I love them! I think all of you should go to your local county library and see if they have any Lorie Line Music books, 'cause I found my book at the library, and I borrowed it on a whim. It was amazing.

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I am learning Linus and Lucy from Charlie Brown/Peanuts (whatever u call it). It's so much fun!

message 31: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

OMG, my piano gave me that sheet music last year. Is it hard? because I haven't had time to try it, and I have no motivation. I'm a broadway/movietheme/classical type. Come to think of it. That covers most everything. hm. Only movies I've watched though. Which is limited. I saw a lot of syncopated rhythyms on the page of Linus and Lucy and i got scared. So, yeah, I'm a chicken when it comes to black notes.

message 32: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I'm learning accompaniments. I'm accompanying a friend. I am also learning some of the Peer Gynt Suite.

message 33: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

What does that Suite sound like?

message 34: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Err. Do you know In the Hall of the Mountain King? That is a song in the Suite. So is Solveig's Song. And Anitra's Dance. Do you know any of those?

message 35: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I looked it up! great song!s

message 36: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I love them. I'm hoping on putting on a bit of a production with a few songs from the Suite. Then performing them all at once. Maybe with a bit of a collage on powerpoint at the same time.

message 37: by Jeanne (new)

I also love to play Morning Mood from the Peer Gynt Suite. The power point collage would be a lot of fun. The character Peer Gynt had an enormous imagination and the songs are real audience pleasers.

message 38: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) Hannah wrote: "I am learning Linus and Lucy from Charlie Brown/Peanuts (whatever u call it). It's so much fun!"

I love that song! I played it for my dad's birthday in '09.

message 39: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Klymene wrote: "OMG, my piano gave me that sheet music last year. Is it hard? because I haven't had time to try it, and I have no motivation. I'm a broadway/movietheme/classical type. Come to think of it. That cov..."

Okay, Linus and Lucy is SO FUN! At first it took me a bit to get the main medly and put it with the other medley, but once I got it...BAM it was fun. There are like 2 other tricky parts, one is cool, the other to jazzy. I've learned the first since It's pretty easy but the Jazz I'm not doing. It's SO FUN! It's a great peice

message 40: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Swimmergirl wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I am learning Linus and Lucy from Charlie Brown/Peanuts (whatever u call it). It's so much fun!"

I love that song! I played it for my dad's birthday in '09."

IKR

message 41: by Zoë (new)

Zoë Willis (zoecutegirl) | 15 comments Hannah wrote: "Klymene wrote: "OMG, my piano gave me that sheet music last year. Is it hard? because I haven't had time to try it, and I have no motivation. I'm a broadway/movietheme/classical type. Come to think..."

I used to do a "beginner's" version of this piece, and I always loved it, so I got the actual version. I do the same thing, I don't play the jazz, but skip to the end. Vince Guaraldi really is amazing!

message 42: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I must try it then. I just spent 3 hours yesterday playing the accompaniment part on the piano for, like, 10 different theatre kids. The songs were all Broadway/ Disney tunes. It was so much fun! there was one guy that had this amazing voice and he teamed up with a girl who was amazing to sing Phantom of the Opera. OMG it was heaven. And I played on a grand piano. But I’ve got to work on my sightreading

message 43: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Zoë wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Klymene wrote: "OMG, my piano gave me that sheet music last year. Is it hard? because I haven't had time to try it, and I have no motivation. I'm a broadway/movietheme/classical type..."

U r talking Linus and Lucy right? Same here. I do the main medley and the other "vacation part" as I call it. But the whole Jazz section is weird, and hard and just don't fit. So I skip it. :d

message 44: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I don't like Jazz. Don't like Jazz at all. *Shudder* I'm a depressing, sappy, player. Sad songs, or songs with great feeling are my forte.

message 45: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

My mom says Jazz is for the smartest people. Which makes me mad because i hate jazz. I can't understand it

message 46: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I can understand it. It just isn't my preferred taste. Like I said, sad, stormy, romantic... All of those I will play til exhaustion, but jazzy, happy, rags, light stuff I just don't have the patience for.

message 47: by Zoë (new)

Zoë Willis (zoecutegirl) | 15 comments I'm okay with jazz, but I absolutely HATE playing it! It's just not my thing. I do know someone else my age who is a jazz prodigy, but he can't play classical nearly as well.

message 48: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

BROADWAY is AMAZING. Do you like Don't Rain on My Parade? it's alittle different from my usual style, which is like your's. I bet you like All I ask of you!

message 49: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid All I Ask of You is amazing! But it a slower, romantic song... Like my style. I love playing musical theatre ballads. You know, slow, sad, but intense! I'd Give My Life for You, I Dreamed a Dream, Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again, and all that. I love. Love. Love those.

message 50: by Jeanne (new)

Sometimes when people talk about "jazz", they're actually talking about old romantic standards from the 1940's or so. Some of these are really special.

But "jazz" as in "jazz band" all sounds the same to me -- loud and boring. It follows chord patterns and soloists do their improvising. Nevertheless, it all sounds similar to my ear.

« previous 1 3 4