Entering the Galahad discussion

Important > DOM TESTA CLICK HERE!!! Galahad Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 894 comments Mod
Dom, I can't even begin to tell you how honored and excited we are to have you coming to discuss your amazing-ful books with us. Discussion starts here!

message 2: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments Hello! Dom here.

message 3: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

Sammy (IreneAdler) | 465 comments Mod
Hi, it's Sammy! Other members should be logging on soon.

message 4: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments Hello Sammy. You can go ahead and fire away, and others can catch up, I guess.

message 5: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

Okay! Well, Sevania can't be here right now, but she left me some questions to ask you. She wants to know how you thought of the idea for the Galahad series. And when did you come up with it?

message 6: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments I'm sorry that she can't make it. Please pass along my thanks to her. And thank you, too, for your enthusiastic support of the Galahad books.

I first scribbled down a few ideas about The Comet's Curse WAY back in 1999. I wanted to tell the story of a group of young people who were on their own, with no adults around.

It could have been a shipwreck story, or something like that, but that story has been done many times. So, instead I set the story in space. Then I had to come up with a reason for them to be there without adults. One thing led to another, and soon the idea for Comet Bhaktul came along, and the disease, and the need to get a group of teens away from the plague.

I like the concept of young people on their own, learning to rely on themselves and each other.

The Comet's Curse was first published in 2004, and then was purchased by Tor Books in late 2007, and re-issued as a Tor version in early 2009.

message 7: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (last edited Mar 26, 2011 10:13AM) (new)

That's really cool! I didn't know that the first book had been published then. When you first started writing the series, which characters did you come up with first? Was Roc part of the story when you first started writing?

message 8: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments I appreciate you buying the book at your school book fair.

One of the first things I did was create a list of characters who would be part of the Council. Triana was certainly the first one I thought of. But there were actually a few others who were created in my notebook, but yet never made it to the book.

And there were others who weren't in those first notes, but showed up after I began writing the story.

Roc was an early idea, but I wasn't sure how he would come across. Eventually I decided that Roc was (in a way) ME, and he became my voice, essentially. Whenever I wanted to say something funny or sarcastic to the crew members of Galahad, I'd let Roc do it for me.

Is Roc one of your favorites?

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 3 comments Can I jump in? Hi Dom! I was wondering when the 4th book comes out & how I can get one! & what you can tell us about it? Thanks! :)

message 10: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments Hello Nicole. Thanks for being a part of the discussion.

The fourth book, called The Dark Zone, will be out April 26th. It should be available at all of your favorite online stores, such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Books A Million, and others. Plus, you'll always be able to find out more at www.DomTesta.com.

The Dark Zone opens with the ship coming out of the Kuiper Belt. But the crew is very surprised to find that it's not empty space. There's something (or several somethings) waiting for them.

I will tell you this: The Dark Zone has something happen that you probably won't be expecting.

Also, just so you know, the fifth book in the series, called Cosmic Storm, will be out this fall.

message 11: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

Wow! That sound awesome!

When you were writing the Web of Titan, how did you figure out how the ship would pass Saturn and how long it would take with Galahad's speed? Was it complicated at all?

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 3 comments aaaaa.. I can't wait that long!!!!!! :)

message 13: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

Only 31 more days!

message 14: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments That actually has a funny story attached to it, Sammy. I have a friend who really is a rocket scientist. He has worked at NASA, and now works with a company that builds satellites.

I already knew about the slingshot effect of a spacecraft around a planet, but what I needed to know was how long it would take for Titan to pass behind Saturn and re-establish contact with Bon and Galahad.

He worked out all of the details, and came to my house for a party. While everyone else was in the kitchen, eating pizza and listening to music, he and I were in my office, going over his figures. I thank him in the credits to the book.

So, it's probably not overly complicated, but it's the kind of thing that a NASA scientist loves to work on.

message 15: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments By the way, I told that story about my rocket scientist friend at a book signing event a few months ago. Here's a link to watch the video of the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1iJe...

message 16: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

Wow... I had no idea!
Here's another question that Sevania had: Do any of the characters in your books relate to people you know in real life, or are they unique to the story?

message 17: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments I try not to let any of the characters come across as someone I know...with one exception.

I have a friend of mine who has a mild case of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and she is well known for always lining things up on her desk, or lining up her silverware, or making sure that her stapler is flush to the bottom of her desk.

So I created a character who has those same qualities. I never, ever point out in the book that she is OCD, but Gap certainly notices her quirks. Can you guess who that is?

message 18: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

I don't want to get this wrong... Hannah, right? Sorry if I'm wrong.... (my second choice is Triana)

message 19: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments Yep, Hannah!

message 20: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments That's cool. Perhaps you guys should give me all of your questions at once, and I'll answer them in one big group.

;)

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 3 comments Hannah rocks!!!

message 22: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

I like her! I also like Gap and Roc! It's really funny how they're constantly sparring with eachother. Did you think of him and Roc being that way with eachother when you came up with Gap's character, or were you going to have Roc be that way with someone else, like Bon?

message 23: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments That's a good question, Sammy, because I actually did decide early on that Gap and Roc would spar with each other verbally. I like the dynamic, and it really shows both of their personalities.

Bon would never get into that type of exchange with Roc, because Bon is a bit too moody for that. He wouldn't have time for it, while Gap is much more social, and enjoys the back-and-forth zingers.

I didn't dream up Masego until well into the writing of The Comet's Curse, but I like using that game to showcase the banter between Gap and Roc. Plus, the game just sounds fun to me. Like Airboarding, I wish it really existed!

message 24: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments By the way, I have to leave in just a few minutes. If you want to post some other questions, I'll log back on later and answer them for you. Thank you very much for your terrific support of the Galahad books. You're all rock stars!

Also, be sure to go to www.DomTesta.com and click on the Galahad Books tab. You'll see all sorts of great stuff, including videos, Galahad wallpaper that you can download, and other good stuff.

And definitely tell your friends about the books on your Facebook pages, okay? I appreciate it all, and will check back in with you on Goodreads whenever I can.

message 25: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

I was wondering if Masego was a real game! I searched it on the internet, actually, but I guess that's why I didn't find anything. Airboarding sounds fun, too! And with Roc, at the end of The Cassini Code, Roc says that he wishes that he was human. I found this surprising because he's always making fun of Gap by saying that his human brain is not smart enough to ever beat him at Masego... Will this lead to something else about Roc as the story goes on, or is this just another one of his ideas?

message 26: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments I can't give too much away. I can tell you, however, that the book series will contain six books total. Following the release of The Dark Zone you'll see Cosmic Storm this fall, and then early next year we'll publish the final book in the series, called The Galahad Legacy.

In that sixth book, there's obviously LOTS that goes on, including with Roc. Although he's always making sarcastic remarks about humans, you know that secretly he envies a lot about them.

I think you'll be very surprised at what happens in books 4,5, and 6. But I also can tell you that they're my favorites in the series. All of them have been written, so I know how it ends. ;)

I have to leave right now, but I want to thank you again for your enthusiasm for the books. It means a lot to me, and I'll be sure to stay in touch on Goodreads.

Again, if you have more questions, post them here on this page and I'll come back and answer them. Take care, and keep spreading the word!!

message 27: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

Thank you!

message 28: by Simply (new)

Simply (ninjaofthekeyboard) *raises hand*
How do you maintain the people so well? Whenerver I write, my females always go off the deep end. I never seem to be able to maintain the males either. How do you do it?

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

You do know that he is not here anymore, right?

message 30: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

Well, he said that we could ask extra questions for him to answer later :)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

True, me could not go on which stunk.

message 32: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments Zoe, I'm not sure what you mean by "maintain the people." Before I write a book or a story, I often create a biography for each primary character. That not only describes them physically, but it gets into their behavior and their personalities.

When you create a biography of a character, you want to explore what makes them behave the way they do. Was there an event in their life which led them to behave a certain way? Was their a person who influenced them?

Once you define your characters and their personalities, it's easier to keep them on a steady path.

For the Galahad books, each of the Council members has a unique personality, with specific traits. The next time you read one of the Galahad books, see if you can identify what their distinguishing characteristics might be.

message 33: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (last edited Mar 27, 2011 10:31AM) (new)

Sky  (clear_sky) | 407 comments Mod
=] cool. It would be easier to go back and know what they would do in a certain situation. *half-raises hand* Um, I have a question. When you started writing the Galahad series, did you plan everything out? Or did you just plan parts of it, and figure out the rest as you went along?

message 34: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments Sometimes I outline the work beforehand, and sometimes I wing it. There's no correct way to do this, it just depends on the writer. Some like to have an outline to work from, while others just sit down and write.

I do a little of both.

Thanks, Sky! Take care,
D

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I have question. How long does it take to write a book? Since there are editors and publishers.

message 36: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments Hannah, there is single answer to that question. It varies a lot. But if you're going through a big publisher, once you turn in a manuscript it can often be 18 months to two years before the book actually hits the stores.

message 37: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

That's a long time! Are all the Galahad books being published right now, or are you still writing some of them?

message 38: by Dom (new)

Dom (domtesta) | 18 comments All six are completed. Book 5 (Cosmic Storm) will be published this fall, and #6 (The Galahad Legacy) will be out in early 2012.

message 39: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 894 comments Mod
What?! You're making us wait and they're already done? Not that I mind the suspense a whole lot, but what? Hi Dom, this is Sevania. I'm so sad I couldn't be here for the actual discussion, but it's great to be able to ask you questions anyway!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Dom! I've really haven't read the series, so I have a question: Should I buy The Comet's Curse? Why?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

You know whats sad? I looked everywhere in this town for The Comet's Curse, and it wasn't anywhere! I got it on my kindle. :)

message 42: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

Cool!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

No, its not! I couldn't read it before I got my Kindle!

message 44: by Sammy, Jane Milligan, Fitness Captain (new)

Well, it was good though, right?

message 45: by Kyra (new)

Kyra | 7 comments does tree come back???? thats my only question, cause if she doesn't... well, lets just say i wont be very happy!!!! thanx