Green Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2011-Ideas > Ideas for April (2011): Farming, Gardening, Food

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke (new)

Marieke With Spring and Summer upon us, Kirsten had the great idea to read a book having to do with food or farming and/or gardening. any ideas?

some books i have and want to read are...shoot, the garden one i'll have to check when i get home because i can't remember the name. but for food and farming i have The Compassionate Carnivore and of course i've been meaning to read The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals.

message 2: by Marne (new)

Marne How about Wendell Berry's The Unsettling of America: Culture and Agriculture? I've heard good things about this book and have been meaning to read it for some time.

message 3: by Marieke (new)

Marieke ooo that sounds like a good idea, Marne! i've wanted to read some Wendell Berry myself.

the gardening book i was thinking of yesterday is Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden and then another book i have and have been wanting to read is Empires of Food: Feast, Famine, and the Rise and Fall of Civilization.

soooo....another idea to kick around: do we all read different things and discuss or have a poll and settle on one (or two) book(s)?

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments Awesome. Let's see, I did a lot more hands on with the farming and stuff, haven't read too much about it, but I'll look and see what looks good.

message 5: by Marne (new)

Marne Here's another book to consider for April - The World According to Monsanto.

message 6: by Marieke (new)

Marieke i'm going to have a hard time figuring out which book to vote for!

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments Shall we close nominations say, Wednesday? Then Marieke or I will post a poll :)

message 8: by Marieke (new)

Marieke Kirsten wrote: "Shall we close nominations say, Wednesday? Then Marieke or I will post a poll :)"

That sounds fine to me...if i don't pay attention, the month will fly past. i am chronometrically-challenged.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments I set a reminder on my computer, I'm the same way. It's a problem sometimes!

message 10: by Marieke (new)

Marieke Megan wrote: "Marieke & Kirsten: Thanks, again, for pulling all of this together."

:D

we are happy to be attracting some regular participants!

message 11: by Marne (new)

Marne One last book suggestion from me: Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments I'm making the poll! I'll include all the suggestions, happy picking!

message 13: by Marieke (new)

Marieke i already can't decide.......................

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments We can always try for two....

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments Looks like we'll be reading Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization in April! That will hopefully give people enough time to reserve and get a copy :)

message 16: by Marieke (new)

Marieke I know we already picked a book, but I just saw this thing about western diets...i'm hoping to be able to listen to the interview later today. mostly this is about personal health, and the featured book is a novel, but according to the synopsis, the discussion touches on the problem of economics:

"Part of the problem, says Patterson, is that it's so much cheaper for processed food to be flown into the Arctic Circle than fresh food.

"There's no roads or rail access to any of those communities," he says. "So a four liter jug of milk can cost you $10 or $11. But there's a very clear parallel between that and the inner city. In poorer neighborhoods in North American cities, fresh food is either not available or extremely expensive compared to — on a calorie-by-calorie basis — compared to fast food available on every street corner."

anyway, i thought i would share since it's tangentially related to this group and thread. :D

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments This book is very popular in my library system! I hope it gets here on time...

message 18: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Apparently the county I live in only has one library copy.

message 19: by Marieke (new)

Marieke Megan wrote: "Just picked up my copy of Pandora's Seed today. Looks good."

i'm going to get mine tomorrow! i'll set up a thread..

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.