RT BOOKLOVERS' Convention discussion

Tips on what to bring...

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay About 200 address labels with your name, cell, addy, hotel name and a space to write in your room number. This is the best advice I can give. :)

Oh...and lots of business cards. Have some made with the social sites you frequent too. You'll make lots of new contacts at RT and when you get home and find your new BFF's contact info (that you scribbled down on a restaurant napkin) got ruined by a leaky bottle of shampoo in your suitcase...you'll thank me.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) On the labels do you recommend the sticky kind or just business card size labels with the info on it??

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay Hmmm, I'm trying to remember. I think most of the club RT drawing boxes are the kind you can just drop your business card into. All of the authors provide some kind of the paper form about 3" x 4" to write your name & info on, so I just stuck my sticky label on the the papers they had out and drop it in the box. You need something lightweight that you can tuck into your registration pouch (carried around your neck).

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) sorry kinda slow here- you mean lightweight as in lightweight paper or labels that I can tuck into my pouch just to pull out and use. Like a small stack of business cards with all of our info on it?? LOL I really am not as simple minded as I sound

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay :) Um...well a sheet of labels folded up, tucks nicely inside the little registration pouch. It seems like EVERYTHING gets crammed into that little pouch. It becomes your purse while at the hotel. You can fit cash, cc, room key, phone, lipstick and your agenda with all the panels on it...Plus you pin buttons and lord knows what else on it.

I brought business cards last year. They fit in there too. Plus you have the canvas tote bags that get handed out during the con. So if you think business cards will work better, that is completely doable!

message 6: by Mona (last edited Mar 16, 2011 07:08AM) (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments Last year, I made up a stack of book plates for the authors to sign. That way I could just slap them in the books without lugging the books around with me.

For the book plates, I used mailing labels (about 4"x 6") and printed pretty borders on them. Unfortunately, about halfway through the signings, I laid the stack on an author's table and forgot to pick them up again. So if you make some don't carry them all in your hand. Take them out as you need them.

This also works well should you run into an author unexpectedly. They'll usually always sign a book plate for you.

message 7: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay I forgot about bookplates! I will do that this year. :)

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 7 comments And bring comfortable shoes. You'll be doing a lot of walking. Usually rooms are spread out a bit, and what you're doing next will be at the opposite end lots of times.

Don't be shy to come up and meet authors. That's what we're there for! It's okay if you haven't read my books. Sometimes readers are apologetic about it, but don't be. I don't want you to feel bad when you meet me :) (I speak for most authors) You're a potential new reader so that's good, too!

message 9: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments Note about meeting the authors....DO make sure they're not in the middle of a business conversation before you join them.

Also, don't follow them into the bathroom just to talk to them. Yes, it happens. Be polite.

message 10: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 7 comments Good points, Mona!

message 11: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments One of my personal peeves is with people who bring 150 books to be autographed during the book fair. Please be considerate of others in line behind you. Bring the book plates. You can even bring a self-addressed envelope so they can autograph them later and mail them to you.

There's nothing more annoying than standing in line to get one book signed, only to get stuck behind a group with rolling tote bags crammed full of books waiting for signatures.

It's rude to the other attendees and rude to assume the author has nothing better to do than get stuck signing books for 4 hours after the book fair closes. And yes, that happens all too often.

Be considerate!

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) Mona I agree about people with tons of books to have signed- plus those rolling backpacks they are dragging behind them or having them stop in the middle of the isle while they search for the right book.
Book plates are the best way to go

message 13: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie Coonts (kelsiecoonts) | 1 comments I'm so unsure of what to bring to RT this year I'm losing my mind. LOL. So, most authors also have their own books for sell there at the table in front of them don't they?

message 14: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jzmick) | 2 comments I am so excited to go! I've never gone! Anyone know where to get cool bookplates? Also - any other suggestions!?!

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) I made my own last year with big shipping labels- used Avery labels from walmart and just added a border to some- like if I had an author who I knew wrote about werewolves I put little paw prints with claw marks in the corner. I did angel wings and vampire teeth too. You can go crazy with designs. I bought the labels at Walmart- they were something like 3x4 or close to that size

message 16: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments The authors' books are there for sale. If you attend any of the workshops and feel like you've learned something, by all means, buy the books of the authors who conducted the workshop.

If you attend the aspiring writer's classes, most definitely buy the books written by the people who taught you. They don't get paid to teach or show up early. Very few authors have enough clout to even get the publisher to pay for their rooms. Be supportive.

Dress casual and comfortable during the day. Feel free to play dress up with steampunk or whatever if that's your thing. If you're attending the evening festivities you can go in costume or just dress nicely. Whatever you do, make sure your shoes are comfortable, because you'll do a lot of standing in one spot waiting for the line to move.

Remember:

Comfortable clothes and shoes
Mailing labels with your name, address, cell phone # and a place for your hotel room #
Book plates for autographs
Any costumes you're taking
Enthusiasm and a smile

If you're flying, you might want to pack some empty duffle bags in your luggage to pack your books in for the flight home.

Last year, I shipped mine by UPS and it cost me $171. Of course I had 5 boxes of books, too. :)

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 7 comments Wendy wrote: "I made my own last year with big shipping labels- used Avery labels from walmart and just added a border to some- like if I had an author who I knew wrote about werewolves I put little paw prints w..."

Aren't you clever?!

Mona, here's a place where authors buy bookplates, but maybe they'd have blank ones. Can't believe it's next week already!

That's good advice, Mona, because authors do overwhelmingly pay for their way to the cons, plus all the goodies/post cards and such. We don't provide our own books (and therefore get the money paid directly).

Also, at the bookfair, if an author's sitting there with no one in front of her, go on over and say hi. Not only does it break up the lull, it actually makes it easier for another person to come up, too. I find that when people come up and chat, they feel they're taking up my time or keeping others from approaching. Not true! As long as you know the author will be handing out bookmarks to those passing by. As long as you're okay with stepping aside from time to time, by all means, hang out :)And don't feel like you have to buy a book.

And yes, be prepared to get tons of books for free!