RT BOOKLOVERS' Convention discussion

RT virgins check in here...

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay RT is not a scary place, but there sure is a lot to take in, so don't be shy, ask your questions here!

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) This will be my first year- kinda nervous about the whole thing but I am really excited about going. Thank you for the great advice about the cards and labels.

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay Hi Wenday, happy to help! This forum is new so feel free to invite people. Make sure to go to the RT Virgin meeting, I think they offer a couple of different times for it. It does help. The labels are for Club RT, you can enter to win gift baskets--they have at least 50?

Plan on shipping a "box" from the hotel. Most hotels offer shipping services, but with all the swag and books you accumulate, you'll want to ship home. :)

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay Rolling backpack for the bookfair. Nuff said.

LT - Book Lovers 4Ever | 1 comments Hey wendy thanks for telling me about this group..

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay Hi LaTonia,

Welcome! The group is super "new", so feel free to invite some friends and chat away.

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) Danielle,
What kinds of clothes should we bring- I imagine casual for during the day but what about the nights? Casual meaning jeans or capris.

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay Clothes? Everything. :) For day, comfortable run around clothes, especially shoes, but bring something to layer. Some of the larger meeting areas could be chilly, as convention rooms usually are. But for night. The dinners are very nice. Darkly lit, big table rounds that seat about 10 people. Many, many people dress up for the costume parties. But then again, many people don't. Costumes get expensive. Example. I found a traditional Indian Kurti top that was only $15 bucks, that works for me. I've heard of others that are going all out with complete Sari's--that run hundreds of dollars. All evening dinners are packaged with a show or entertainment. Black works well. :) I wore black capris with 2" sandals with a casual but nice top for one of the dinners last year and it was fine.

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) Thank you all of that helps a lot. I think we are doing costumes for most of the parties but I will bring black just in case.

message 10: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments If you plan on attending the workshops, go through the list and jot down the ones you're most interested in. Do this for every day of the week and in order of first choice, second choice, etc., that way if your first choice is filled and you can't get a seat, you can always zip over to your 2nd choice class.

Be prepared to change your mind. After hearing an author expound on his favorite subject, you may decide to take him off your list. Or the new friends you meet at RT will rave about an author's workshops and you'll decide to see what the fuss is all about.

Last year, I attended the RT Virgin hosted by Anne Elizabeth and Jade Lee. They were hilarious, informative, and gave out prizes, too. I actually got a prize for my workshop list. I had it color-coded and everything. (I'm such a nerd) Whichever one you attend, don't miss it because they give a lot of good info.

message 11: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) Thank you Mona- lol you sound like me with my list. My daughter thinks I go overboard on making list and organizing my days while on vacation but she never misses anything.
Ok so just because we checked "attending" on the RT website does not mean we will get into that workshop?
What about lines, are there always long lines?

message 12: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments Yes, unless you're late and it's a really popular one. Then it's standing room only.

A lot of people don't know they need to notify the organizers of what workshops they'll be attending and so they just show up. (Like I did last year. LOL) If there's someone you really want to see, make sure you get there a bit early.

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay Just catching this last bit. Pre-registering really is just put in place to help convention organizers determine how big of a room to schedule for each panel and how many chairs to put out. You are not obligated to go by any means.

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Barclay And what Mona said. :)

message 15: by Madarra (new)

Madarra Starr (madarrastarr) | 5 comments This will be my first time and I'm so excited. I'm going alone I none of my friends are book lovers like me so I hope I meet people. What should I pack for the historical ball I don't wanna wear a costume but how dressy should I go?

message 16: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments This year the RT ball is formal attire. Here's what their agenda says:

Attendees are encouraged to dress in formal attire, be it historical or modern dress. It’s an occasion to dust off your tiara!

I figure long dresses, long gloves, stoles (if you have one) or whatever else you think is formal.

message 17: by sooooooomiii (new)

sooooooomiii Hiiiiii!

I'm seriously considering going this year (I've never been before). I'm a budding writer, and so many authors that have inspired me will be there, but since I live in the UK it's going to cost A LOT - I have to be 100% sure it'll be worth it! I was curious about whether many people travel the seven seas to go to these?

message 18: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments Quite a few. My friend, Michelle, lives in London and she's coming again. I've met several people from Australia, and one girl comes every year from Azerbaijan. In order to get the most from it, you need to decide what's most important to you and plan your week carefully so you can take in as many events as you can that fit into your program.

message 19: by sooooooomiii (new)

sooooooomiii Thanks for that Mona :)

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 5 comments Ahhh - I'm that 'Michelle from London'. It's great fun - this will be the 4th one I've attended since 2009 (yes, I did miss 2010).

The best fare I found was on United. £568 - booked via AMEX... There aren't any direct flights, but a lot of options for the one change.

message 21: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments How about it, Michelle? Do you think it will be woth K. May's time and money to attend?

message 22: by Michelle (last edited Jan 16, 2013 08:01AM) (new)

Michelle | 5 comments The networking is INCREDIBLE. All the NYC publishing houses are there, plus a huge number of agents. If you have a work-in-progress or a finished manuscript, do sign-up to get some feedback!

You should also factor in the chance to meet the authors you read, get books signed by authors (if that's your thing), ALL the free books (K.May - be prepared to pay for a 2nd piece of checked luggage @$100(£65) - it's a MUCH less expensive option than shipping), the goodies, the chance to meet and chat to other writers and readers who enjoy the same genre.

message 23: by sooooooomiii (new)

sooooooomiii Oh wow, thanks Michelle. You're making it sound amazing! How much does accommodation usually cost (in £), if you don't mind me asking.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 5 comments I think the hotel rates are on the website...

single rooms @$124 PLUS tax $124 is roughly £75/night. You could also try and find a roommate - I think it may cost $134 PLUS tax (@£80/night) for a double room

message 25: by Nikky (new)

Nikky | 3 comments Hello :) this will be my first time visiting :) ill be driving on a road trip from Toronto with my best friend :). We would just be coming for the bookfair as we are dying to get a bunch of books signed. Just wondering if you guys could give an estimate of what the line ups are like and if you really get a bunch of books signed or if its so busy you only get a couple signed? Do authors also sell some of their books at their table? Soooo excited :)

message 26: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments Most authors limit the number of books they'll sign for any one person. They had to start doing that because some people would show up with rolling suitcases filled with their favorite series and expect the authors to stop everything while they signed all their books. That ended up pissing off all the people in line behind them who didn't get their single books signed because the author ran out of time.

The more popular authors usually restrict it to the books on sale right there on their tables. Occasionally, you may find one who'll sign one extra book, but that's rare now. The publishers realize they need to make sure as many readers as possible get the opportunity to visit with their favorite writers.

If you have a lot of books, it's usually better it you bring book plates. They're a lot easier to carry and the people in line behind you won't want to kill you so badly.

message 27: by Nikky (new)

Nikky | 3 comments Thank you for all the tips :) they are super helpful. Just one more question, how long should we start lining up on saturday to get in? And is it on long line that moves along or do you line up infront of which ever author you want?

message 28: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments People will be lined up like it was Black Friday. LOL I'm serious! Some people get there before it's even light outside, which is sort of silly if you think about it. And yes, the crowd is usually huge. Just go online and look at the pics from last year's Book Fair.

The Book Fair opens to RT registrants first (since they paid hundreds of $$ and have been there all week) and they get about an hour to find their authors and buy books before the "Book Fair only" participants are allowed in.

You have to line up to get in. If you bring books from home, every one of those books has to be checked in and marked by an RT staff member or volunteer so that you're not charged for them when you go to leave. You have to do this before you're allowed in the door.

Once inside, you can go wherever you want, get in line for your author(s), and just prowl around. Some authors require wristbands for their lines, and some have tight security.

You don't want to breach someone's security, believe me, because some of these writers have stalkers who are just wacko and their personal security people are trained to deal with wack jobs.

Don't be afraid to stop by an unfamiliar author's table. They may be new and unknown, but they're there for a reason, and that reason is because their publisher believes in them. Next year, you may have to get a wristband to get their autograph. You never know.

message 29: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) I'm looking forward to KC. I just wanted to throw this in on top of what Mona said about the lines. Don't get discouraged if you are the 10th person in line one minute and look up and Bam you are about the 50th person in line, people hold places for their friends all the time. It's just part of going to things that have you stand in lines. But I can say the two years that I've gone, I have never not been able to see all the authors on my list and to get autographs too. The wristbands were a little unorganized with the lines but I still made it to all of them. Had a fantastic time and bought a few books but I mainly took book plates- saved my arms and room in my tote bag

message 30: by Nikky (new)

Nikky | 3 comments Great advice guys :) Thanks

Just have a few more questions

Is there anyway to tell in advance which authors require wristbands in order to get things signed? And if an author does require one how does the wristband process work?

Also these bookplates sound like a great idea but the only place I can find ones to buy is on Zazzle and they are quite expensive. Does anyone know where to get some cheaper? Online or instore.

Thanks for all the help you guys are great!

message 31: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bl4e) Hey Nikky,
Last year was the first year that they did the wristbands (that I know of) and I did not know about them until the day of while standing in line. I don't think they tell who the authors will be with the wristbands (last year it was Anne Rice, J.R. Ward, Charlaine Harris & others) It starts with people standing in line and then they handed out the wrist bands, over the loudspeaker they announce that numbers 2000-2025 can now go to see author "Jane Doe", while in line for that author people that work for the convention walk through asking if you want another wristband for the other authors- these wristbands are all color coded to that author- like Anne Rice was a grey wristband with numbers on it- you just have to listen for your group. Not sure if or how it will be done this year though.
Now for the book plates, I print my own. I use Avery shipping labels that I bought from Walmart- size 4 x 6 and then just went online and found book plate templates, you can put anything on these "from the library of..." there are so many different things to add to these. When I knew I was going to see a favorite author that writes werewolf books, I added little wolf prints on and around the border. You can do flowers or even vampire fangs. It is so much cheaper making them yourself. Also there is a room called the RT Club, there are giveaway baskets and you have to put in your name & email. I use the small address labels and then when I get there I just use the paper they provide and stick my info on, it's so much easier than writing my name a 100 plus times

message 32: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments Great advice, Wendy. To cover all the bases, newbies should scan the earlier messages in this thread for additional information. It doesn't change much from year to year. :)

message 33: by Nikita (new)

Nikita Isaac | 2 comments Wendy, I did the address lables last year. What I put on mine was my name, email and cell phone number. I also room number with a blank to input the number. It helped a lot.

message 34: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (grandmothergoose) I have never heard of the RT convention until recently, but I live in the area. Is it just for romance book lovers or for anyone? I was thinking of attending and possibly going to the Boot Camp for writers. Any thoughts?

message 35: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments It's for anyone who reads. You'll find mystery, thriller, YA, and every other kind of author there. It's not just romance anymore. :)

Suzanne (Doppleganger) (doppleganger_suzanne) | 4 comments Hi!

Do I need to bring a buttload of cash to the bookfair, or can I use a debit card?

I saw some discussion about this above, but I'm still a little confused. Do I need to register for the Reader panels? I just got my purchased my weekend pass and I know it's getting late - I'm worried I might miss out on a panel that turns out to be popular.

message 37: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments No need to bring a lot of cash. I mainly use a credit card, but most debits can be used like credit if you don't want to use your PIN #.

You don't have to register for the panels, but if you attend any of the parties, you'll need to sign up for them to make sure they have plenty of seating and goody bags. You can do that on the RT website.

Suzanne (Doppleganger) (doppleganger_suzanne) | 4 comments Thank you!!!

message 39: by Hailey (new)

Hailey (palevelvetsky) | 1 comments Hey I was wondering what to expect when we go to the convention. I really want to go in 2016 and I was wondering about all the swag and the books (do they really give free books?). I just need basically the perks of going so I can convince my parents to take me.

message 40: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments You'll get a ton of free books. Be sure to take an extra bag or flattened boxes and tape to carry them home in. There's also plenty of swag in the bags you'll get and also on the tables in promo alley.

We have teen day with YA authors where you can meet them and get their autographs. You can also do that at the giant Book Fair....just be prepared to stand in line.

In Club RT, the authors provide gift baskets filled with books and goodies. Just sign up and hope your name is drawn. Mostly, you'll have fun and meet a lot of great people who love books.

Oh, and tell your parents, it's not just for YA or romance. Authors from all genres attend....mystery, western, thriller, sci-fi, inspirational, you name it.

message 41: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Mona you going to Vegas?

message 42: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments Yes.

message 43: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Whoop whooop!

message 44: by Mona (new)

Mona (readingfrk) | 19 comments ;)

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sammymickey) Hi my name is Nicole and this will be my first time going to an RT convention. I will most likely be going by myself so I am very excited but also nervous. I would love to get to know people coming from Boston so I know a couple of people that are going to be there. I also have almost everything set except the hotel accommodations but I am working on finding Hotel mates. Additionally the next couple of months will be spent trying to decide what my personal agenda will be. Now is the time for my secret power to clone myself to come to the surface.

message 46: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 08, 2016 10:35PM) (new)

Jennifer (minipepe) | 1 comments I'll be there this Sunday night. I'm so excited!!!!
I bought my business cards for the giveaways and I have my costume reader for the party

message 47: by Reader007 (new)

Reader007 | 1 comments I am new to the group. What does RT stand for? I came to the group by way of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwzSA...

How many of you attended the event on the video? Where was the event held?

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments Seems like no one has been on here in a while but I thought I'd put my questions out here anyway... I'm thinking of attending by myself, is it really as fun as they say while there alone? Is there any advice for someone attending for the first time?