Pianist Haven (for piano enthusiasts) discussion

Writing Piano Music

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 19 comments Do any of you write music for the piano?

message 2: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Katerina (klymene) | 406 comments Mod
No, I never have but I have come up with simple melodies, and I improvise on chords. You?

message 3: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 19 comments Yes I love to!!

message 4: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

How do you come up with the songs? and the melodies?

Honey Hawthorne I don't usually write music. I wrote lyrics to the melody of lean on me to help me memorize all the helping verbs when I was younger!!! Also I hear the music final this year is to compose a song...ohhh ahhh.

message 6: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:03PM) (new)

Yay! you joined! I'm so happy! One thing that helps is repeating a chord pattern in the left hand and improvising on it. Or you could have someone else play the chord pattern and you could improvise in a higher octave. i usually start with just a single note melody line.

message 7: by Jeanne (last edited Mar 09, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 427 comments Mod
Klymene wrote: One thing that helps is repeating a chord pattern in the left hand and improvising on it. Or you could have someone else play the chord pattern and you could improvise in a higher octave. i usually start with just a single note melody line.

What a good idea, Klymene! I'll have to try this.

I have been to Paris three times and I was surprised by the sounds. I had read so much about Paris, but the writers mostly wrote about the sights, the museums, the history, the culture, but I hadn't read anything about the sounds.

On each trip, I was inspired to write a few bars of music based on the sounds -- the church bells, the incessant roar of the subway, someone with a beautiful voice walking at night and singing.

My notes are on scraps of paper. I need to get them together and assemble some kind of composition.

message 8: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 19 comments Most of the stuff I write is really just from sitting at the piano for an hour until I find a note pattern I like!

message 9: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

That also works. Do you ever hear a song and then, a while later, you make up a melody that sounds like it, but accidentally?

message 10: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 19 comments Omigosh. EVERYONE does that at least ten times. I used to do it like every time I composed, but not so much anymore..

message 11: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Ok. that's good(ish). I felt like a plagarist when i figured out I was actually copying another song. have you heard about Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera and that one Pink Floyd song?

message 12: by Jeanne (new)

No, did one unconsciously copy the other?

message 13: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Some say that webber compied Pink Floyd. i couldn't see the connection

message 14: by Jeanne (new)

There are only twelve tones in a scale. Some pieces are certain to resemble others. Do you know which particular pieces supposedly sound alike?

message 15: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

The Phantom of the Opera

message 16: by Jeanne (new)

The main "phantom" theme song then? Does it (supposedly) sound like a particular Pink Floyd song, or just sound like Pink Floyd in general?

message 17: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

A certian song, but I don't remember what.

message 18: by Jeanne (new)

Have any of you tried song writing of any kind?

A while ago I began writing a musical theatre piece for my baby grand kids. I decided I would write the play and then find a composer to write the songs. But then I worried that the composer wouldn't make the songs the way I wanted them. I wanted them to be kind of simple and fun, like camp songs. I decided I would write the songs myself, so I wrote twelve songs with simple accompaniments. Some of the songs actually can be sung together in a sort of counterpoint. I did that accidentally. I enjoy going to the opera and had season tickets for several years, so some of that duet and trio structure must have sneaked into my brain.

message 19: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I just improvise on the chords that my teacher gives me. Nothing very fancy

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Same here. Sometimes I just fiddle and something decent comes out. If so I work a bit on it. That's about it. :D

message 21: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

somehow my songs always end up having the same feeling like River Flows in You.

message 22: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I've never been very good at writing music. I've been trying a bit, and I would like to do some more, but I'm very inexperienced.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily Exactly. I've done two and a half songs so far, but I have trouble figuring out what patterns to do with the left hand...

message 24: by Jeanne (new)

Way-chan,

It's okay to be inexperienced -- just keep trying. It's the same as writing stories or practicing piano -- you get better with practice.

I hope I didn't sound like an expert when I said "I wrote twelve songs." They are amateur work and I struggled with them for many weeks. When my musician daughter saw them, she said, "Why are they all I, IV, and V chords?" I said, "That's most of what I know about theory." So I did work out the melodies, lyrics, harmony, and accompaniment, but it's not expert work. All the same, I am pleased that I tried and some of the sounds please me a lot

message 25: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Emily wrote: "Exactly. I've done two and a half songs so far, but I have trouble figuring out what patterns to do with the left hand..."

Find chord patterns! The chord pattern in I dreamed a dream from Le Miz is a great chord pattern to play. Just play them in arpeggios or in solid chords and improve above on the RH

message 26: by Jeanne (new)

Emily,

I have the same difficulty as you because I figure out the melody first. Now I want to try Klymene's method--beginning with chord patterns of an already written song and then improvise with the RH until I find a melody I like. Wow, I like this idea!

message 27: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 14 comments Hm, sometimes I write sheet music when i have the time, but i mostly listen to songs and write out the notes for people to play (mostly clarinet since clarinet sheets are usually more in demand)

message 28: by Jeanne (new)

Why are clarinet sheets more in demand? Are you adding a clarinet part to an already-written work? Or do you simply have more performing friends who are clarinetists?
Oh, I just looked at your profile... it's anime music. Fun! Maybe it's hard to find it in sheet music, so your friends need someone with a good ear to write it after hearing it.

message 29: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Ooh! Anime music. That is very fun to play.

message 30: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Clarinet Sheet music is probably more in demand because many of the 5th grade students start on the Clarinet, mainly because it's similar to the recorder.

message 31: by Jeanne (last edited Apr 13, 2011 06:16PM) (new)

Oh, I didn't know that, and I found it puzzling that clarinet-part transcriptions are more in demand. Thanks for the insight.

message 32: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 14 comments Well, i write stuff out for clarinet more than piano, not just because I suck at hearing chords (though when it comes down to it i improvise) but if you look around the web, there are so many sheets for piano/violin and less for clarinet, particularly for anime things :P I basically just listen to the song, and then write down the notes. :)

message 33: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

That's a much better reason. I play clarinet. Do you have the theme for Fruits Basket?

message 34: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 14 comments hm, i don't really watch fruits basket, but if this person hasn't done the theme, http://bflatheaven.moonfruit.com/# then i could make an exception as long as it's not too hard (still improving my ear for music) :) what's the name of the song? this one, i take it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUDSed...

message 35: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I love Furuba. It is called either For Fruits Basket or Itsumo. Depending.

message 36: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

I can't watch the video right now But I will asap, i'm at school

message 37: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) same with me

message 38: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 14 comments well if this is the right song that you want, i listened to it and i really love it, so i'll do the full 4 min version :)

message 39: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

yes it is!! There's also an english one

message 40: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I got the sheet music for the Japanese version, the English is slightly different and I haven't found it.

message 41: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 14 comments to be blunt, i like the japanese version of the song better, not that there's anything wrong with the english one, lol, just preference. Plus there's not a long version of the english when i looked it up. So i'll just do the full japanese version on clarinet for you :) I can probably start tomorrow, since i'm on break.

message 42: by Jeanne (new)

It's really nice, Audrey, that you can write this out for Klymene. Not many people can hear a piece and write it down. When I've tried it, the notes are okay, but writing the timing gives me trouble.

message 43: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 14 comments Same here, lol. Usually I try the piece out on an actual instruement and write it down, or if i don't have time i just scribble down the notes, get it down onto some notation software and then compare it to another already availible sheet if there is one.

message 44: by Jeanne (last edited Apr 17, 2011 12:24AM) (new)

Oh I play it on piano first. My daughter has perfect pitch memory, but I don't. If I'm not near a piano, I can (laboriously) write down a melody from intervals, but I wouldn't know what key it's really in without playing it.

message 45: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 14 comments hehe, oddly enough, i can never tell if something is flat/sharp, but i can tell what note it is unless it's insanely high or low XD Depending on the song and its rhythm, I can usually tell the key that it's in, although it's a pain when it's more than 5 sharps/ flats

message 46: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Thank you Audrey!

message 47: by Audrey (last edited Apr 18, 2011 11:39AM) (new)

Audrey | 14 comments done! thank you for introducing me to such a nice piece! that's the website below, tell me if you have any trouble navigating lol. lots of other clarinet pieces for other anime/games XD...though there's only like 1 piano piece which is for legend of zelda twilight princess XD http://www.wix.com/ryokablade/fortiss...

message 48: by Katerina, Just realized she has a mod title. Yay! (new)

Its very nice. Thank you!

message 49: by Jeanne (new)

Hi Audrey,

You work fast! I like your sheet music website, but when I tried to look at your music, I couldn't navigate off the home page. Is there a secret code or something?

message 50: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 14 comments There's a navigation button by the banner at the top that looks like < 1/18 > you can use that to go to the next page, where if you scroll down there's a list of pages to choose from

« previous 1