21st Century Book Club discussion

General Book Chat > Next club read.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey guys,

We've got a few weeks left of "Middlesex" but just thought I'd get some ideas ahead of time for the next book club read. Essentially, I'll put the recommendations in a poll. To stop the poll getting ridiculous, please only pick one book to be your contribution to the poll.

My choice: "Let the Great World Spin," by Colum McCann. 2009's National Book Award winner.

message 2: by Andre (new)

Andre (andreb) My recommendation is The Known World by Edward P. Jones. Pulitzer prize from 2004.

message 3: by Christa (new)

Christa Seeley (christajls) I vote for Let the Great World Spin. That's been sitting on my TBR shelf forever!

message 4: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 2 comments I vote for William Vollman's Europe Central. It won the National Book Award in 2005.

message 5: by Christa (new)

Christa Seeley (christajls) When are we starting the next read?

message 6: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (vyl8) | 2 comments When is the June Poll? I joined this group too late to catch up on the May title, unfortunately.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone interested in doing something in the science fiction or fantasy genre? Perhaps a Hugo winner from one of the last few years?

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Williams (noodlebubble) | 1 comments Hello all - Just joined the group and am wondering what you're reading for June as am just off to the library - Did anything get decided?

Happy Reading X

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I asked two weeks ago, nobody seemed to have any idea. I think I'll just pick the next one... hrm.

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary Ballard (gary_ballard) | 4 comments I had thought about reading Game of Thrones next after I finish Crystal World. Am I the last person to have read this?

message 11: by Logophile (new)

Logophile | 17 comments Mod
If we're just looking for nominations, here are some from my "to read" list:

There but for the by Ali Smith
State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

@Gary -- That was published before the 21st century by several years.

@Logo - I think I'll start a poll and put The Thousand Autumns on there.

message 13: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (mmorrell) | 13 comments Matt,

I wasn't sure where to put my nomination so I hope you will find it here. This is for September.

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Roberts I think 'The Thousand Autumns' would be a good choice.

message 15: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Soooo.....is this what we are reading for sept? I wanted to check just in case I have to reserve it at the library.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

There will be a poll to decide shortly.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Maggie wrote: "Matt,

I wasn't sure where to put my nomination so I hope you will find it here. This is for September.

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet"

That book was on the poll last time and didn't win. I'd rather not recycle poll choices until more books have had a chance to be voted on.

message 18: by Mauk (last edited Sep 08, 2011 02:38PM) (new)

Mauk (rooraus) I'd like to suggest Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell for October.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Right now Aura I'm only accepting nominations by people who have actually read the books we've read and contributed to the discussion. If you'd like the chance to nominate a book for the poll, read our current book and post on the forums here.

message 20: by Mauk (new)

Mauk (rooraus) Actually, I have read it some five years ago. I enjoyed it very much but don't remember enough to contribute adequately to any meaningful conversation...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Five years is plenty long for a re-read! Especially if you enjoyed it!

message 22: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Roberts Absolutely!

message 23: by Mauk (new)

Mauk (rooraus) For me it's more of a holiday read, I'm afraid. I'm a slow reader and the start of semester means that there is an ample amount of stuff to take care of. Besides, it's the sort of book that you should be able to take your time with. Maybe I could re-read it during Christmas holidays if Santa won't bring me anything more intriguing... Well, hope you like it as much as I did!

message 24: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Roberts I hope so too. It's a big book!