Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Anonymous in French

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas | 3 comments Hello, new librarian here!

I wanted to correct the artist for The Book With No Name translated in french: Le livre sans nom so I can correctly link them both.

In french it's "Collectif" reffering to Amazon's way of dealing with the "Anonymous" crap, but I was wondering if I should write "Anonymous" as author and tie the original edition to the french edition, or leave it that way...

Could someone enlighten me? Thanks!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Collectif = Anonymous?

Aha!

Is this always true?

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Collectif is more usually Various, I think. I see a lot of graphic novels with multiple authors credited to Collectif as the primary author and the actual writers and artists given secondarily.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Aw, rats.

I had visions of merging that mess into Anonymous and killing it off the perpetual list. ;)

In that case, then

Nicolas wrote: "I was wondering if I should write "Anonymous" as author and tie the original edition to the french edition"

Yes, please go ahead.

message 5: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas | 3 comments Thanks! That was fast :)

message 6: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas | 3 comments Erm... sorry about the doublepost, but this is going to be stupid but:
It's troublesome with the combine tool to get the two books properly in the list at the same time in order to combine them. "Le livre sans nom" is totally different than "The Book With No Name". Am I forgetting something in the filter?

Or should I rename the book to The book with no name" so I can see both in the combine list?

Any help is appreciated, I didn't find anything in the Help section :(

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Nicolas wrote: "Or should I rename the book to The book with no name" so I can see both in the combine list?"

Yup! Temporarily retitling is the easiest way to combine books that don't show up on the same combine page.

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments I wouldn't actually retitle the whole book, just add "Le Livre" to the front of the title, combine, then delete it off to leave the original title.