Great African Reads discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
Discuss African wildlife here!

message 2: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

maybe we can start with this article about lion hunting. of course i have to find the depressing things!

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments I'm always a little annoyed when a hunting ban is referred to as a "last resort" or "nuclear option" People won't want to hunt females, as they aren't really trophies; so if there's any hunting at all, it will be males.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethinzambia) | 73 comments There is an entertaining wildlife memoir (at least I suppose it is a memoir) called The Elephant Whisperer- it is about a guy in South Africa who owns a game ranch and he takes on a family of rogue elephants. Reading the book feels a bit like sitting around the campfire in the bush listening to Lawrence reminisce about his "ellies"- I found it to be a worthwhile read.

message 5: by Muphyn (last edited Mar 12, 2011 02:45PM) (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Has anybody read "Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide"? Wondering if it's mostly about the wildlife or the travel experience...

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywoo) | 82 comments I've read it. You prob already know this, but the guy who wrote it is an Aussie. It's been a little while since I read it, but my recollection is that it is more about the wildlife than about travel, but I thought he did a nice job w/ it and I'd like to read his other one Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos when I get around to it.

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywoo) | 82 comments Oh yeah, I just thought of another one that I haven't yet read so can't say first-hand how good it is (or not), but it sounds good, and it's sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, and it seems more or less on topic w/ this thread -- Wildflower: An Extraordinary Life and Untimely Death in Africa. If anyone else is interested in reading it, let me know and maybe we can try to read it at the same time and "discuss amongst ourselves."

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments I read "Wildflower" a while back and wasn't too impressed with the author's grasp of Kenyan politics. As I recall, the book is really more about Joan Root's personal life. A great book if you are willing to read something a little older about Kenya is Speak to the Earth.

message 9: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Wendy wrote: "I've read it. You prob already know this, but the guy who wrote it is an Aussie. It's been a little while since I read it, but my recollection is that it is more about the wildlife than about tra..."

No, I didn't, Wendy! :D It does sound funny (judging by the title mostly), do you remember whether it was a fun read? I think I'd like to read it, I should find out if it's at the library really.

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywoo) | 82 comments Muphyn wrote: "Wendy wrote: "I've read it. You prob already know this, but the guy who wrote it is an Aussie. It's been a little while since I read it, but my recollection is that it is more about the wildlife ..."

I really enjoyed it. He had a very nice little narrative style -- sort of funny and self deprecating. And it was fun to hear what he really thought of all the different groups he would have to guide. Like one obnoxious guy (regrettably, I think he was an American) who didn't grasp the fact that the author's name is Peter b/c Peter has an Aussie accent, so the obnoxious American kept calley him Peyter and sounded like a total dumbass. Anyway, you should read it. I haven't read his second book yet, but I want to. Let me know what you think of it if/when you get to it.

message 11: by Muphyn (last edited Mar 26, 2011 03:29PM) (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments It does sound good! :) Maybe I'll start calling every 'Peter' 'Peyter' from now on, that'd be funny... ;) (I suspect it's only funny in my head.. hehe)

message 12: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

whaat??? an obnoxious American?! i just can't believe that... :P

message 13: by Lorraine M. (new)

Lorraine M. Thompson (lorrainemarie) | 22 comments Anyone read "Tales of an African Vet" by Aronson? or "Mean and Lowly Things: Snakes, Science, and Survival in the Congo" by Kate Jackson? I have not read either yet and was curious to know what people thought.

message 14: by Lorraine M. (new)

Lorraine M. Thompson (lorrainemarie) | 22 comments @ Marieke Great topic. How about "The Year of the Gorilla" by George B. Schaller? A new edition came out last year.

I have been encourgaing Corneille Ewango to write a book about his work in the Congo. He is a botanist at the Okapi Wildlife Reserve in the Congo basin, who has faced down poachers and soldiers. He gave a TED talk (transcript posted) about his experience at http://www.ted.com/talks/corneille_ew...

message 15: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

i have not read any of these books! or even heard of many of them! i can't wait to watch Ewango's TED talk, Lorraine. Maybe our group here can help you apply pressure on him?

message 16: by Lorraine M. (new)

Lorraine M. Thompson (lorrainemarie) | 22 comments I like it! I just have to find out where he is these days...kind of a "where in the world is Corneille Ewango?" hunt (grin)

message 17: by Muphyn (last edited Mar 26, 2011 04:09PM) (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments "Tales of an African Vet" sounds interesting (and it has a cute photo on the cover!! - I'm hopeless when it comes to cute animal pictures, I go all softy and could stare at them all day... :) ).

Not sure I'd want to read "Mean and Lowly Things: Snakes, Science, and Survival in the Congo", not a big fan of snakes.. :( Would be interested to hear what people thought though if anybody's read it.

Thanks for posting, Lorraine!

message 18: by Lorraine M. (new)

Lorraine M. Thompson (lorrainemarie) | 22 comments You are welcomed @Muphyn. I have the same problem. And then there are those that are "so impossibly ugly they are cute" as exhibited by Roxanne, the new baby aardvark at the Detroit Zoo http://detroitzoo.org/roxanne (Aardvarks are native to Africa so not to far off topic right?)

message 19: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Lorraine M. wrote: "You are welcomed @Muphyn. I have the same problem. And then there are those that are "so impossibly ugly they are cute" as exhibited by Roxanne, the new baby aardvark at the Detroit Zoo http://de..."

OH MY GOODNESS, that is so ugly cute and adorable!!! :D I love it!!

message 20: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywoo) | 82 comments Muphyn wrote: ""Tales of an African Vet" sounds interesting (and it has a cute photo on the cover!! - I'm hopeless when it comes to cute animal pictures, I go all softy and could stare at them all ..."

Oooooh, the Tales of an African Vet book looks so good. Sort of like the African version of a James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. I will definitely have to check it out soon!

message 21: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

i absolutely LOVE the idea of the name "Roxanne" for an aardvark.