Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Delirium (Delirium, #1)
This topic is about Delirium
Book Club Discussions > March 2011- Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Delirium by Lauren Oliver was chosen as our non-themed monthly group read. Please mark spoilers!

Enjoy!

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments I just started this and I can tell already that it's going to be great. The concept is intriguing enough.

message 3: by Alicia (last edited Mar 04, 2011 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alicia I'm putting my whole post in spoiler tags just to be safe:

(view spoiler)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I cannot wait to read this book- It is in my TBR soon, but probably not until next month...

Leslie (lesld) | 27 comments Very interesting book so far. I've just started recently but I'm enjoying it! :-)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 4 comments Cant wait till people start chiming in. I've been handing this out left and right at school library!

Diana | 4 comments I just started the book, but the whole concept seems intriguing... I don't know where the story is heading to, but the beginning is the kind that hooks you :)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I also just started and the theme/concept is absolutely fascinating.

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments This book is fabulous! Once I started, I could not put it down. It raised many questions for me.

How can you not have love, but have hate enough to invoke violence? I kept coming back to that thought.

Tabitha (selkie) | 1 comments Finished the book last month and loved it. The whole idea of a population of apathetic humans really just sucked me in. It makes me really like gray at the moment.

Lydia, that's a great point I never really thought of that before. Perhaps the part of the brain that controls violence is different from love? I have no idea and not feeling up to googling it.

Heather (heatherjoy) I just finished and I enjoyed this book as well. There were a lot of similarities to the "Uglies" series by Scott Westerfeld, but I thought that Oliver brought enough new material to make it her own.

Roshini | 109 comments I finally finished it and now I'm annoyed I have to wait so long for the sequel.

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I agree, Heather, there are similarities to Westerfield, especially in the creation of a dystopia that focuses on attraction, etc. However, I can't quite figure out if the enforcement officers were ever treated. Did they leave them untreated so they could feel those extreme emotions that led to such violence?

Oh, and the sacrifice her boyfriend made! And her mother! That just tore my heart.

Tahleen | 229 comments Lydia, I got the impression they were treated. Their barbarity came more from indifference than from emotion.

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments I just finished and was a bit disappointed. I really had high expectations based on Lauren Oliver's prior books, the blogs of people who had ARC's, and my impression of the first few chapters, and I feel like it fell short. I loved the idea of love being a disease that needs to eradicated (no pun intended- ha,ha). (view spoiler)

Anyway, I gave this book 3 stars. I liked it. I'm glad I read it. I' also glad I got it from the library. If I had paid the hard cover price for it, I would have been pissed...

Tahleen | 229 comments Karis, there will be a sequel, I think it actually might be a trilogy. I know Oliver has finished at least the first draft of book two.

Alicia Yeah, it's going to be at least a trilogy. The second book will be called Pandemonium and released in 2012, and the third book will be called Requiem, released in 2013. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to continue on with even more books after that if they continue to sell well. A lot of the YA books that were originally supposed to be trilogies end up getting extended to 5-8 books.

Tahleen | 229 comments Alicia, it's possible. We'll see where it goes! I think if Oliver does decide to continue the series, she'll pick a different narrator and protagonist though.

message 19: by Izzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Izzy I loved this book, even though I started with very high expectations and that usually leads to me being disappointed. The writing was so beautiful, and although the story moved slowly, I felt it worked very well. Initially I didn't like the ending that much, but now I'm starting to feel like any other ending wouldn't have worked as well, which is what I felt like when reading BEFORE I FALL. Can't wait for the sequel :)

message 20: by Dana (new)

Dana | 3 comments I'm reading this book and the concept is really different and am interested to see how it ends. Although it does seem to be a little slow at the beginning!

Cheryl (cawils_99) I just finished the book and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It started out a little slow for me but once Alex was introduced the story took off. Overall I thought it was alot of fun to read. I agree with you Izzy about the ending and I can't wait to see where the author is go with this story.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) A lot of great comments here.

I agree with Cheryl that it was a bit slow for me at times. I found that I could put it down easily and it took me a while to finish it; however, once I got into the last 200 pages or so, it was a race to the finish.

I think that with Dystopian books we have to compare them to each other and this one can easily be compared to others, but Oliver did a good job of making it its own book so that the comparisons to the others are fleeting.

I think that some of the insight of the cured characters were left out because they don't have an insight. That's the point. They don't care about anything but order and laws. Their personalities are so lacking. I also think because order and law are so important to them, that is how the regulators can be cruel- they don't care about anything but reinstating order.

The hardest parts in the book book for me were the parts when a child would get hurt and you learn that parents don't even love their children in this world. That is horrific and tore at my heart every time it was mentioned.

(view spoiler)

Overall a pretty good book- I know my Dystopian lovers will truly enjoy this one as well.

Maree | 233 comments I was really interested to see how many people were comparing this book to others they had read, especially Matched, because I saw a lot of the same similarities. Here's my full review: Delirium. I also saw the similarities with the Uglies. But I felt it was kind of a better book than both in certain ways.