Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Off Topic > Kindred Spirits

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Does anyone ever feel like we've found kindred spirits in each other through our common love of similar books?

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Definitely! I don't know what I'd do without our book discussions on here - I have plenty of friends who enjoy reading, but except from my mum and a couple of ladies in her homegroup at church I don't know anyone who reads Amish fiction, or any Christian fiction, really. I get some really great recommendations from you guys and I love reading any new reviews - Amish or otherwise! It's wonderful seeing others who are so passionate about the same books as I am :)

It's always an encouragement to come on here and see a new, interesting post - especially when I've been up to my neck in reading for university. I'm definitely reading a lot more this semester than I did in the last one - possibly trying to compete against you guys?!

message 3: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments O totally! I love this group. I have not read the monthly read though for Feb or March( I just love Romance more then mystery :p) but its fun to share books and find new authors.

message 4: by Lorie (last edited Mar 02, 2011 12:22PM) (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
This group has so helped me get through a ton of Amish fiction books and I love hearing and reading what all of you thought about the book.

I like that kindred spirit phrase makes me think of Anne of Green Gables

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I thought of Anne, too! That's my all time favourite book :)

message 6: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments That's exactly where I got the phrase from.

My mom just to read me the whole series a few chapters at a time each night when I went to bed. I know I'll be doing the same for my kids. :)

message 7: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments I love this group.

message 8: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I love this group too! Everyone is easy to get along with and I feel that we have become comfortable with each other.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I was also going to say that I love that I can talk about the books I truly love on here - namely, romance novels. Being an English Lit student, a lot of my friends and classmates look down on me for my reading tastes, and my flatmates make a joke out of the fact that I read Amish novels. Apparently I should only read literary classics! So I love that we all enjoy the same books and that we can chat without anyone judging each other for their reading tastes. Even when we don't agree on a book, everyone is totally respectful. I genuinely don't know what I'd do without this little community of friends and readers - where else would I talk about these books? This is such a lovely little comfort zone. Thanks guys :)

message 10: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I think classics are great, and can be very interesting and in depth. But sometimes it is so nice to have a break from that where you can read something without having to analyze all the imagery and deeper metaphors and social messages. I totally understand where you are coming from Rachel, they're just two different types of reading.

People in law school find it odd that I like Amish fiction, but hey, case opinions are no pieces of cake to read so I like something I can just relax and enjoy without needing a dictionary to look up every other word!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments My friends find great amusement in teasing me about my "Amishy romance" filled bookshelves, and my daed is always reminding me "not to go Amish" on him, so this group is such a blessing! I can relax and not worry that everything I say is being interpreted as a sign that I'll move to Lancaster, PA, and give up electricity!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa conner (ptl44lmc) | 99 comments dont feel alone Sarah! My friends r same way,a few of my friends have started reading some Amish reading. But the real thing was when i decorated my bedroom in Amish pictures and few things. Sometimes i am called the Amish girl but I laugh and enjoy my books of Amish reading. Like Camille said "they are relaxing and enjoyable read"

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments Lisa wrote: "dont feel alone Sarah! My friends r same way,a few of my friends have started reading some Amish reading. But the real thing was when i decorated my bedroom in Amish pictures and few things. Someti..."

And that, folks, is why I love this group... I "don't feel alone"! :)