Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Cheryl's February

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments This was a strange month. Almost glad it was short.

Edge Jeffery Deaver (audio) New character. I found it very repetitious. He threw in his typical twist at the end, but there wasn't much else that was new and different. 7.5

Original Sin Beth McMullen. This was an ARC I got for review. It was fun read, but I never figured out just where it should be classified. The MC was a spy who retired, got married and had a child. She gets drawn back into the spy business. It was a little chick lit, little bit thriller and tried to be a funny look at the spy business. 8

Old Dogs Donna Moore (kindle) Slapstick comedy nominated for a Lefty (humor) at Left Coast Crime. Several groups of thiefs looking to steal gold dogs from museum. They all keep getting in each others way. 7.5

True Grit Charles Portis. F2f book club read. Enjoyable, but I'm not sure I would call it a "classic". 7.5

Strategic Moves Stuart Woods. (audio) Another Stone Barrington. His libido is a little subdued here. It maybe because I listened to this, but I don't remember the murder at the beginning being solved. I may just have zoned out. 7.5

The Lost Coast Barry Eisler (Kindle) A short story about Larison, a character from INSIDE OUT. On Amazon, B&N and Smashwords. Barry has listened to Joe Konrath and decided to do some direct to digital publishing. Story also includes an interview with Konrath and an excerpt from the next book THE DETACHMENT. 9

Faking Life Jason Pinter (kindle) I like Jason's Henry Parker books. This was an earlier book and it has a lot of the flaws of earlier, self-published material. The editing was absolutely terrible. Interesting look at agents and publishing. 7.5

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Nice assortment! I remember my mom reading TRUE GRIT back before the original movie came out.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Cheryl: I saw your review of The Lost Coast -- A Larison Short Story on Amazon! (and picked up the book) ;)
Cheryl wrote: "This was a strange month. Almost glad it was short.Edge Jeffery Deaver (audio) New character. I found it very repetitious... The Lost Coast Barry Eisler (Kindle) A short story about Larison, a character from INSIDE OUT. On Amazon, B&N and Smashwords"