Irish Readers discussion

MONTHLY GROUP READS > April 2011 - Group Read - Winner "American Gods"

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) hi All,
might be a good time to start taking nominations for book to read in April - give us some time to take nominations, vote and find the book.
to kickoff I'll nominate one from my to-read list
Thomas Mann - The Magic Mountain
The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
Andy

message 2: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Can I throw in American Gods again, as it came so close last time?

I promise that if we don't vote on it this month, I'll give up ranting about it. :)

It better be good after all this!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma L (oemmao) memory keepers daughter is very good, loved it!

how about SISTER by Rosamund Lupton

looks interesting, and only 4.14 @ bookdepository.co.uk :)

im a sucker for a bargain! lol

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) just to put some structure around this
Open for Nominations till Tuesday 15th
Open for Voting Wednesday 16th till Wednesday 23rd
that will give us some time to source the chosen book in time for April 1st
5 nominations to date...

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Mar 08, 2011 04:53AM) (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments This Sounds like a good read The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen!!

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie Mcsweeney (applekoko19) Maybe it is just me but I am keen to read War of the Rats it is kind of the book that the movie Enemy At The Gate(s?) is based on.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

How about Enigma or Archangel by Robert Harris? I've read a few of his novels and wouldn't mind trying one of these.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) @Declan - if you can choose between the two and nominate one we can add to the list

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Eeny meany miney, Archangel.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Vicki. I really enjoyed The Ghost and Pompeii. I've also read Imperium, Lustrum and Fatherland. I'm sure you'll love them, too.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments What's Archangel about ??? Title has me intrigued already ha ha

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's the link. I love a political thriller when it's done properly, and his character's are always excellent.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/69...

message 14: by Dem (last edited Mar 10, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

Dem I am going to nominate The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle EastI just bought this book on the recommendations of another Goodreads member and it has great reviews.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie Mcsweeney (applekoko19) Dem I think I might be voting for your choice rather than my own. Nice one!

message 16: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) Poll for April 2011 Read now open

message 17: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Thanks for the sympathy vote Vicki :)

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) We have a winner
American Gods - nominated by Keith.
now we just need to beg, borrow, steal or buy it for 1st of April

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Just ordered my copy from Bookdepository £5.15 inc P&P

message 20: by Dem (new)

Dem Sam wrote: "Just ordered my copy from Bookdepository £5.15 inc P&P"
I ordered it last week and got it for 5.33 Euro from Bookdepository and it arrived this morning! really looking forward to reading it.

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul (taytothief) Nice one, glad American Gods won this time around. Already have a copy in the house, so handy for me! :p

message 22: by aprilla (new)

aprilla Hi, I'm an audiobook addict in Clare... been hanging around lately and as I have this, but have not yet listened to it, I thought I'd come out of the woodwork and join in.
Reveiws look hate it/love it... interesting :)

message 23: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Woohoo! I've been looking forward to getting stuck into this. I've been putting it off hoping that it would win the poll this month. :)

Aprilla, I'm a huge audiobook fan too. I have this in print though, so i'll be reading old skool this time. Let me know what you think of the audiobook and narrator.

message 24: by aprilla (new)

aprilla I know it's too soon but I'm already listening... I had a long drive and decided it would be a great chance for uninterrupted listening. I didn't bring an alternate to make sure I stuck with it LOL I usually read thrillers and lately have little patience when a book doesn't grip me pretty quickly. A result no doubt of finding Groups such as this and getting a feel for reviews that suit... but I digress...

It's well read by George Guidall and I'm saying no more.

:x

message 25: by John (last edited Mar 27, 2011 10:42AM) (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Hi Aprilla same as you, I actually started (the audiobook) a few days ago. So far so good! It's actually reminding me of Blood Meridian which is quite the masterpiece. The only other book I read by Gaiman is The Graveyard Book, which no review mentioned was a children's book! He's sure proving he can write for grown ups too though.

message 26: by aprilla (last edited Mar 27, 2011 11:02AM) (new)

aprilla It's my first of Neil Gaiman, I nearly read The Graveyard Book some time ago, can't remember why I didn't.
Will you laugh if I say that for a very brief moment American Gods reminded me of A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens)??

I like the reading, is it suiting you?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read The Graveyard Book and American Gods. The Graveyard Book was a nice little read. I bought it because I got two Of John Connolly's Charlie Parker novells, and I figured I'd want something lighter when I'd finished.
I liked the 'Danse Macbre', especially.

I'll wait for people to finish AG before I start chipping in.

message 28: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Aprilla, yes the narrator seems to have the perfect voice for it. A good ole Yankee.

Declan, I thought Graveyard book was definitely a nice little light read alright but still found myself itching to get back to something a bit more grown up.

message 29: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) Discussion thread now open for April Read
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

@John.

Me too. I finished it with two nights of bedtime reading. After that it was probably Iain M. Banks or something else full of moral quandaries. Every now and then you need an easy page-turner.

message 31: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Only read The Graveyard Book a little while ago myself. Apparently it was criticized for being "too dark" to be a childrens book. God...we really have turned into a nanny society if that's too dark.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Keith wrote: "Only read The Graveyard Book a little while ago myself. Apparently it was criticized for being "too dark" to be a childrens book. God...we really have turned into a nanny society if that's too dark."

Don't know how the hell the they thought it was too dark. It was very obviously aimed at young readers. I've heard nothing like this about The Book Thief, which is set in WWII, and alludes to the holocaust.

message 33: by Annie (new)

Annie | 29 comments May I make suggestion for the discussions for this month? We all read at different paces and have varying amounts of time to read, so we're all at odd points in the book at any given time. I was without internet for a few days last go around, and it proved to be a good thing, because people started discussing Emma's death before I read that portion. To avoid spoilers this time, I think it would be a good idea to establish discussion periods during which we agree to only talk about a certain portion of the book at a certain time. Of course, we can all read ahead as far as we'd like, but we should give the discussion more structure so we don't ruin the story for others.

Just a suggestion! What do you all think? :)

message 34: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Might be a good idea Annie. Possibly set up a "spoiler" thread in conjunction with the regular thread? Might be a way to keep it simple without having to do too much admin work.

message 35: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Yeah good idea I was thinking of saying something similar to Annie. Maybe a thread for people 1/3 way through, another for people 2/3 way through. And then a spoiler thread like Keith said for people completely finished.

message 36: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Yeah that sounds about right to me John.

message 37: by Annie (new)

Annie | 29 comments I like that idea. It would allow us all to discuss the book at our own paces without holding anyone up or ruining it for those who get behind. :)

message 38: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Cool, thanks.