The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.9. Lucky Me! Laurie's Task

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 14, 2011 07:43PM) (new)

Sandy | 15894 comments Mod
20.9. Lucky Me! Laurie's Task

In 1770, Great Britain laid claim to the eastern side of Australia. Their plan for developing the territory was to transport criminals to their settlement and use them to complete government projects, such as road construction, or to assign them to free settlers for domestic or field labor. The exiled criminals could have committed crimes ranging from theft to murder, so in many cases, they were considered lucky to have escaped the gallows or incarceration in an over-crowded jail with poor living conditions. This practice continued until the 1850’s.

Read a book that has one of the following words in its title: thief, murder, crime, criminal, exile, convict, robber or stolen. You may use the plural (for example, thieves is acceptable) or derivatives of these words as long as the complete word appears (for example, conviction, robbery, murderer).

The word must appear in the title of the book - no subtitles. If a title is in a language other than English, it may be used if one of the words in the title translates to one of the listed English words.

message 2: by Laurie (last edited Mar 12, 2011 05:09PM) (new)

Laurie (limegreen) | 88 comments Foreign words that translate to one of the approved words are acceptable.
The word has to be in the title, not the subtitle.

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (limegreen) | 88 comments Placeholder

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15894 comments Mod
Reserved

message 5: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments I'd just like to check that translations of those words work? I was thinking of Die Meisterdiebe von Nürnberg: Paul Flemmings vierter Fall by Jan Beinßen. It's from a local German author and hasn't been translated in any other languages. I'd loosely translate the title to "The Master Thieves of Nürnberg". So would that work for the task?

message 7: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments what about "stealing" as a derivative of "stolen"??

message 8: by Emu (new)

Emu | 29 comments I've been trying to fit this one: A Commonwealth of Thieves: The Improbable Birth of Australia

This must be the perfect task for it.

message 9: by Fran (last edited Mar 12, 2011 09:07AM) (new)

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (limegreen) | 88 comments Isabell wrote: "I'd just like to check that translations of those words work? I was thinking of Die Meisterdiebe von Nürnberg: Paul Flemmings vierter Fall by Jan Beinßen. It's from ..."

Yes, that would work.

message 11: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (limegreen) | 88 comments JenC. wrote: "Can we use subtitles? I would like to use The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America."

The word has to be in the title, not subtitle.

message 12: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (limegreen) | 88 comments kiki wrote: "what about "stealing" as a derivative of "stolen"??"

Yes, we will accept stealing as a derivative of stolen.

message 13: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments awesome, thanks! :)

message 15: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Would X-isle work for this challenge? It's not spelled E-X-I-L-E, but it's intended to be pronounced that way...

message 16: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (limegreen) | 88 comments AngelaSunshine wrote: "Would X-isle work for this challenge? It's not spelled E-X-I-L-E, but it's intended to be pronounced that way..."

Yes, that would work!

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Laurie wrote: "JenC. wrote: "Can we use subtitles? I would like to use The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America."

The word has to be in the title, ..."

Damn! I wanted to use In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences. Oh well, gonna have to find a different one. :(

message 18: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "Damn! I wanted to use In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences. Oh well, gonna have to find a different one. :( "

Me too! But In Cold Blood was made into a miniseries, so it fits Task 20.8.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Joanna wrote: "Amanda Pearl wrote: "Damn! I wanted to use In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences. Oh well, gonna have to find a different one. :( "

Me too! But In Cold Blood wa..."

Yeah I have every book planned out except 20.9. I guess I could just wait and see how many I cross off, but I'd like to come up with a complete list, because I'm OCD like that.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments I'd been hoping to use In Cold Blood too. Oh well. :)

message 21: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Just read the part about no subtitles - too bad, 'cause this looks like it fits the theme of the task perfectly. Oh well! I'll keep searching.

The Tin Ticket: The Heroic Journey of Australia's Convict Women by Deborah J. Swiss (Goodreads Author)

message 22: by Diane (last edited Apr 09, 2011 10:32PM) (new)

Diane | 742 comments Is there any way you would add "homicide" to the list? :)

A foreign word for murder would also translate to homicide.

message 23: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Diane wrote: "Is there any way you would add "homicide" to the list? :)

A foreign word for murder would also translate to homicide."
Did this question get answered? I was wondering the same thing!

message 24: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (limegreen) | 88 comments Ashley FL wrote: "Diane wrote: "Is there any way you would add "homicide" to the list? :)
No, it has to be the word "murder".

A foreign word for murder would also translate to homicide." Did this question get answered? I was wondering the same thi..."

Stesse wrote: "Just read the part about no subtitles - too bad, 'cause this looks like it fits the theme of the task perfectly. Oh well! I'll keep searching.

The Tin Ticket: The Heroic Journey of Australia's Co..."

message 25: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (limegreen) | 88 comments Diane wrote: "Is there any way you would add "homicide" to the list? :)

No, it has to be "murder".

message 26: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (limegreen) | 88 comments Diane wrote: "Is there any way you would add "homicide" to the list? :)

Laurie wrote: "Ashley FL wrote: "Diane wrote: "Is there any way you would add "homicide" to the list? :)

A foreign word for murder would also translate to homicide." Did ..."

Stesse wrote: "Just read the part about no subtitles - too bad, 'cause this looks like it fits the theme of the task perfectly. Oh well! I'll keep searching.

The Tin Ticket: The Heroic Journey of Australia's Co..."