The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.8. It's My Birthday. Jayme VA's Task: The Night I Was Born

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 09, 2011 03:36AM) (new)

Sandy | 15678 comments Mod
20.8. It's My Birthday. Jayme VA's Task: The Night I Was Born

The night I was born, the mini series based on The Thorn Birds was on television. In the time before TIVO and apparently VCRs with record buttons, the doctor almost did not make it to the hospital in time because he was so engrossed. For this task, read a book that was later made into a mini series. This must be a miniseries, not a regular television series.

For some ideas, take a look at http://www.imdb.com/keyword/based-on-...
http://www.imdb.com/keyword/based-on-...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-based-cl...

You do not have to choose from these lists and please remember to double check that your choice fits the requirements of this task. If your chosen mini-series is not listed on imdb, please provide a link to verify the miniseries and book on which it's based.

The mini-series must have been based upon a specific book or series of books. If a mini-series is based upon a series of books, you may read any book from the series. The book you read must be an actual part of the series, not just a book related to the series, and must be written by the same author.

Required: when posting, please include the book and the name of the mini series for this task.

message 2: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Reserved

message 3: by Jayme VA (last edited Mar 07, 2011 07:57AM) (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Approved Books

Miss Marple Books by Agatha Christie
The Dresden Files Series
Little House on the Prairie Books
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Stand by Stephen King
Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red by Ellen Rimbauer
Empire Falls by Richard Russo
The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

message 4: by Jayme VA (last edited Mar 07, 2011 12:00PM) (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Books that won't work so well

Sookie Stackhouse Books
Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City
A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15678 comments Mod
reserved

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments wow - i didn't realize they had made a tv mini-series out of the Dresden files...I guess that gives me my book (plus as a bonus its a group read for another of my groups)

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Ooooh, I hope it's okay to post my question already. I noticed that Dresden Files was listed on that link listed--#25. The book series is a bit loosely based on the series from what I have read already. My question is, can we still read any of the books from the series, or the one that comes closest to being from the TV series--which I believe was one of the first two books (it's been a while since I've read the books from the start).

Thanks!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments I am going to do Little House on the Prarrie.

message 9: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I am going to do Little House on the Prarrie."

Jayme, I was thinking the same thing!

message 10: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Dead Reckoning, the next Sookie book is coming out May 3rd if anyone is all caught up and wants to use the next one.

When you say mini-series, do you also include regular tv series or does it have to be a mini-series in the strictest sense- a short period of time with a few episodes?

message 11: by Sara VA (new)

Sara VA (sarava) | 12 comments I wanted to double check this: Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City made into the HBO series. (such a hit that it is a regular series, not exactly a mini-series, so wanted to be sure that it works)
here is the imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0979432/

message 12: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Keri ★TX wrote: "Ooooh, I hope it's okay to post my question already. I noticed that Dresden Files was listed on that link listed--#25. The book series is a bit loosely based on the series from what I have read alr..."

Any book in the series is fine.

message 13: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Sara VA wrote: "I wanted to double check this: Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City made into the HBO series. (such a hit that it is a regular series, not exactly..."

I would like to keep it strictly to mini series. Thanks for checking.

message 14: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Fran wrote: "Dead Reckoning, the next Sookie book is coming out May 3rd if anyone is all caught up and wants to use the next one.

When you say mini-series, do you also include regular tv seri..."

I'd like to keep it strictly to mini series. Thanks!

message 15: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Fran wrote: "Dead Reckoning, the next Sookie book is coming out May 3rd if anyone is all caught up and wants to use the next one.

When you say mini-series, do you also include regu..."

Thanks Jayme :)

message 16: by Robin (last edited Mar 05, 2011 08:42PM) (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments Would one of the Miss Marple books by Agatha Christie work. Agatha Christie: Miss Marple Complete TV Mini Series - 12 Episodes Boxset Edition from Amazon.co.uk

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Keri ★TX wrote: "Ooooh, I hope it's okay to post my question already. I noticed that Dresden Files was listed on that link listed--#25. The book series is a bit loosely based on the series from wha..."

Thank you, Jayme.

message 18: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Robin wrote: "Would one of the Miss Marple books by Agatha Christie work. Agatha Christie: Miss Marple Complete TV Mini Series - 12 Episodes Boxset Edition from Amazon.co.uk"

Yes, and this might be what I use! Thanks for the idea!

message 19: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I am going to do Little House on the Prarrie."

Approved- looks like it was a miniseries in 2005.

message 20: by Sara VA (new)

Sara VA (sarava) | 12 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Sara VA wrote: "I wanted to double check this: Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City made into the HBO series. (such a hit that it is a regular ser..."

Ok, thanks! I will find another task to use this book.

message 21: by kiki (last edited Mar 06, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments edited to say:

nm! i just looked at your approved list and there was my answer! :)

message 22: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I am going to do Little House on the Prarrie."

Approved- looks like it was a miniseries in 2005."

That's great! I had no idea it was also a mini-series, I'm going to use that too.

message 23: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 78 comments Can I use Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman for this task? It looks like it was a series on BBC. The following is a taken from Wikipedia..."Neverwhere was first broadcast on BBC Two from September 12, 1996. There are six half-hour episodes"

message 24: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Brenda wrote: "Can I use Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman for this task? It looks like it was a series on BBC. The following is a taken from Wikipedia..."Neverwhere was first broadcast on B..."

Good find Brenda- approved!

message 25: by Diana (new)

Diana | 3 comments I didn't know that Boardwalk Empire was based on a book! I love this show so much... But I haven't made my mind yet, about what book to read :)
As for another idea, the Pillars of the Earth has been made recently into a miniseries :)

message 26: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I can't decide whether to read I, Claudius: From the Autobiography of Tiberius Claudius, Born 10 B.C., Murdered and Deified A.D. 54, North and South, or to make one more attempt to get through The Thorn Birds. As you can tell, I come from the Dinosaur Age of miniseries.

message 27: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Donna Jo wrote: "I can't decide whether to read I, Claudius: From the Autobiography of Tiberius Claudius, Born 10 B.C., Murdered and Deified A.D. 54, North and South, or to make one more ..."

As you know- the Thorn Birds was my inspiration for this task. I finally got through the book a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it yet- you do need to stick with it few the first hundred pages or so. Enjoy!

message 28: by Donna Jo (last edited Mar 07, 2011 07:02AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "I can't decide whether to read I, Claudius: From the Autobiography of Tiberius Claudius, Born 10 B.C., Murdered and Deified A.D. 54, North and South, or ..."

I've started The Thorn Birds at least 5 times and never managed to finish yet. Maybe I should make it a lifetime goal. It's certainly the kind of book I enjoy--family sagas are fun to read.

message 29: by Amanda (last edited Mar 07, 2011 07:16AM) (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments For a more ghostly/scary suggestion people can read The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red. There was a mini series called Rose Red and the screen play was written by Stephen King and it was based upon her diary and the creepy house she lived in. I read this book in high school but I may re-read it for this task because I liked it a lot.

Note, this book was written as a companion for the mini series and as far as I can tell it's fiction, but still really fun to read!

message 30: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I found this on the individual channel's websites, would they work as back-up?

A dark terror has come to the picture-perfect town of Jerusalem's Lot, and it's up to a writer with a haunted past to uncover the horror that has taken over the town in SALEM'S LOT, an Original dramatic miniseries event for Turner Network Television (TNT).
SALEM'S LOT, adapted from the best-selling novel by horror master Stephen King...

Salem's Lot

from hbo.com
This two-part miniseries tells the humorous, poignant story of a declining New England town and its inhabitants, whose lives are deeply rooted and infleunced by the Knox River and its vacant mills, their class different, and ghosts of the past. At the center of the story is Miles ROby, for whom the promising opportunities of youth have given way to the demands of family obligations, especially those concerning his cantankerous father, Max, and impressionable daughter Tick.

Empire Falls

message 31: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Christine US wrote: "I found this on the individual channel's websites, would they work as back-up?

A dark terror has come to the picture-perfect town of Jerusalem's Lot, and it's up to a writer with a haunted past ..."

Yes, both of those work, as will The Stand by Stephen King. Lots of his books have been made into mini series.

message 32: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments For Jane Austen fans: Her novels Mansfield Park., Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion have all been made into mini series' by the BBC at one time or another. So I suppose they work.?

I myself would like to read Persuasion for this task, as it's the only of the mentioned novels by Austen that I haven't read yet.

message 33: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Isabell wrote: "For Jane Austen fans: Her novels Mansfield Park., Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion hav..."

Yes, those all work.

message 34: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments What about A Game of Thrones/ It is supposed to be premiering in April as an HBO series/miniseries, going through the summer.

message 35: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Cindy AL wrote: "What about A Game of Thrones/ It is supposed to be premiering in April as an HBO series/miniseries, going through the summer."

Hmmm, from what I can see this is an actual tv series, not a mini series. Do you know if it's limited to just those ten episodes or will there be a chance for more? This is a tricky one.

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Cindy AL wrote: "What about A Game of Thrones/ It is supposed to be premiering in April as an HBO series/miniseries, going through the summer."

Hmmm, from what I can see this is an ac..."

I think it's going to be an actual series, but that book is fantastic, so can I say it's a mini series that more people will read it lol?

message 37: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "Jayme VA wrote: "Cindy AL wrote: "What about A Game of Thrones/ It is supposed to be premiering in April as an HBO series/miniseries, going through the summer."

Hmmm, from what I ca..."

Sorry, have to stick to the rules! Although, I have now added the book to my tbr pile, so I'll read it!

message 38: by Meagan (last edited Mar 07, 2011 05:35PM) (new)

Meagan (meaganmarble) | 308 comments I laughed out loud when I read this task, I was named Meagan after Meggie Cleary from The Thorn Birds because my mother loved that show so much :)

But onto the real question:
Can I read Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes by Tony Kushner for this challenge? According to Wikipedia it was made into a miniseries. We're reading it in my Drama class at school.

message 39: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Meagan wrote: "I laughed out loud when I read this task, I was named Meagan after Meggie Cleary from The Thorn Birds because my mother loved that show so much :)

But onto the real question:
Can I read [book:Ange..."

Meagan- that's hilarious! My mom didn't get to see the end of the series for a very long time!

Yes, that book is approved.

message 40: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments How about In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences?

Based on the awards it was nominated for, it seems that it was a mini-series in 1996:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116619/a...

message 41: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is not officially part of the series but is a collection of short stories about Harry Dresden from the series. Will this work for the Dresden Files

message 42: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Joanna wrote: "How about In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences?

Based on the awards it was nominated for, it seems that it was a mini-series in 1996:

http://w..."

approved.

message 43: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Beth NC wrote: "Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is not officially part of the series but is a collection of short stories about Harry Dresden from the series...."

Yes, this is fine as long as it's by the same author and relates to the series.

message 44: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments I think I will re- read Pride and Prejudice, my all-time favorite book. I might just have to watch the mini-series too...*swoon*

message 45: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Since any book from the Dresden Files series is fine, would any book from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series work?

Mini-series link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081874/

message 46: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Yes, that works.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 748 comments Mildred Pierce (Movie Tie-in Edition) by James M. Cain by James M. Cain

HBO just aired the first part of their new Mildred Pierce mini-series. I hope this works, even if I finish the book before the mini-series is finished. It airs every Sunday for 5 episodes. I'm really interested in watching the HBO series, especially since the young daughter is local to my area.

message 48: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Lisa wrote: "Mildred Pierce (Movie Tie-in Edition) by James M. Cain by James M. Cain

HBO just aired the first part of their new Mildred Pierce mini-series. I hope this works, even if I finish the book before the ..."

This works.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 748 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Mildred Pierce (Movie Tie-in Edition) by James M. Cain by James M. Cain

HBO just aired the first part of their new Mildred Pierce mini-series. I hope this works, even if I finish the boo..."

thanks!

message 50: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Does Flashforward work?

« previous 1