The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.7 Shorter is Sweeter. Tami's task: Quips and Quotes

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:08PM) (new)

Sandy | 16198 comments Mod
20.7 Shorter is Sweeter. Tami's task: Quips and Quotes

For this task, please choose a favorite or meaningful verse, quip, quote or saying. Read one book that either relates in some way to your choice OR one book that has one word from your choice in the Title. If selecting your book using a word from your chosen verse, quip, quote or saying, the word must be exact. Any verse, quip, quote or saying you choose is acceptable for this task. Please include your verse, quip, quote or saying when you post your completed task. If you need some help finding a quote, here's a starting point for you - GR Quotes

Example: My selected saying "We must absolutely do what we love or we run the risk of doing nothing at all" author unknown. Possible book choices include 48 Days to the Work You Love, At Risk, Absolutely Normal Chaos.

If it's not obvious from the title, please briefly explain the relationship of your book to your quip or quote.

message 2: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Reserved

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16198 comments Mod
reserved

message 5: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1559 comments So if I choose a Martin Luther King Jr quote - I can read his biography for this task?

message 6: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I never felt comfortable with myself, because I was never part of the majority. I always felt awkward and shy and on the outside of the momentum of my friends' lives.
Steven Spielberg

I am reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower and this quote to me fits the book well- just want to check with you if it's ok- thanks!

message 7: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon | 219 comments "He's like a drug for you, Bella."
— Stephenie Meyer

Could I read The midnight sun draft by stephenie meyer?

message 8: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments If I chose a quote from a book, could I then reread that book or another book by that author?

message 9: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Would a line from a verse in a song work?

message 10: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Kazza wrote: "So if I choose a Martin Luther King Jr quote - I can read his biography for this task?"

Yes..

message 11: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Christine US wrote: "Would a line from a verse in a song work?"

Yes

message 12: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Isabell wrote: "If I chose a quote from a book, could I then reread that book or another book by that author?"

Yes. This task is meant to be broad in interpretation. As long as you can explain how your chosen book relates to the quote, quip, verse you are good to go.

message 13: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Rhiannon wrote: ""He's like a drug for you, Bella."
— Stephenie Meyer

Could I read The midnight sun draft by stephenie meyer?"

Yes. Just explain the relationship in your completed task post.

message 14: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Fran wrote: "I never felt comfortable with myself, because I was never part of the majority. I always felt awkward and shy and on the outside of the momentum of my friends' lives.
Steven Spielberg

I am ..."

Sounds perfect!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments One of my favorite movies of all time is Battle Royale. A quote from that movie is "Life is a game. So fight for survival and see if you're worth it." Can I read Battle Royale which is the novel the movie is based on?

message 16: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "One of my favorite movies of all time is Battle Royale. A quote from that movie is "Life is a game. So fight for survival and see if you're worth it." Can I read Battle Royale which..."

Yes.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Tami wrote: "Amanda Pearl wrote: "One of my favorite movies of all time is Battle Royale. A quote from that movie is "Life is a game. So fight for survival and see if you're worth it." Can I read [book:Battl..."

Sweet! I've been wanting to read this book for forever, I just bought it on amazon :)

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7702 comments my issue is too many books to choose from...my favorite quote (and I have it in my email signature) is well-behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich...she wrote a book titled that, plus lots of books about the suffergettes...I just got to decide

message 19: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "my issue is too many books to choose from...my favorite quote (and I have it in my email signature) is well-behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich...she wrote a book titled that..."

Me too! Too many books that is! Such a fun task! My quote is "Walk the goddess walk" - all about being strong & confident regardless of how you're feeling inside! No idea who said it - my mom maybe? Now what book to pick...

message 20: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Tami wrote: "Fran wrote: "I never felt comfortable with myself, because I was never part of the majority. I always felt awkward and shy and on the outside of the momentum of my friends' lives.
Steven Spielber..."

Thanks Tami :)

message 21: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments "A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you."
— Elbert Hubbard

I feel like this is about sharing your secrets with the ones you love. So could I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets? Somehow I've made it tis far without reading the Harry Potter books and my husband (and pretty much everyone I know) has been bugging me to read them so I'm trying to fit them in! Thanks!!

message 22: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments Just checking in since I hadn't heard anything?

message 23: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Maggie wrote: "Just checking in since I hadn't heard anything?"

Sorry. I didn't realize you were asking a question.. Yes. Harry Potter seems to fit your quote well.

message 24: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Tami wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Just checking in since I hadn't heard anything?"

Sorry. I didn't realize you were asking a question.. Yes. Harry Potter seems to fit your quote well."

My bad...long week.

message 25: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments Great, thanks so much! I should have been more clear!

message 26: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) "I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens." --Woody Allen

Could I read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers to go with this quote?

message 27: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Yes. I am wanting to read that one too.

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori  (batchelorxyz) | 229 comments Can we use subtitles?

message 29: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Lori (BNPL) wrote: "Can we use subtitles?"<

Yes.

message 30: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4095 comments I have two quotes that I like - both by Eleanor Roosevelt. I am wondering if I can read either a book about Eleanor Roosevelt or one of the Eleanor Roosevelt mysteries written by her son Elliott Roosevelt? Would either work?

message 31: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Either would be fine since they relate to your quote. Enjoy!

message 32: by Teresa Jo (new)

Teresa Jo (teresajo) | 248 comments 20.7 Shorter is Sweeter. Tami’s task: Quips and Quotes

Quote: “Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” ~Robert A. Heinlein

Cat on the Money by Shirley Murphy Rousseau
Cat on the Money by Shirley Rousseau Murphy

Can I count it for this task or should I read something else?

The first 8 parts of this story appeared in Cats Magazine, which was discontinued before the remaining installments of the serial could be published.

No print edition of Cat on the Money exists. The pages have been formatted specifically for the PDF version, which can be downloaded from www.joegrey.com.

I have it on Kindle but here is a link to the original website where it was published.
http://www.sylviaengdahl.com/joegrey/...

message 33: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Teresa Jo wrote: "20.7 Shorter is Sweeter. Tami’s task: Quips and Quotes

Quote: “Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” ~Robert A. Heinlein

[book:Cat on the..."

From the moderator/technical stand-point: The PDF is only 50 pages long and, therefore, does not fulfill the 100+ page requirement of the challenge unless you read another book with it.

Tami will have to let you know if there are other, task-related issues with it.

message 34: by Teresa Jo (new)

Teresa Jo (teresajo) | 248 comments OK I didn't really think it would make the cut once I saw just how short it was in pdf but wanted to ask before I head off to choose something else :)

message 35: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Teresa Jo wrote: "OK I didn't really think it would make the cut once I saw just how short it was in pdf but wanted to ask before I head off to choose something else :)"

Unfortunately it has to meet the page lengj set by the moderators for the challenge.

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17881 comments Mod
If I choose
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
from the poem Invictus would the book Invictus: Nelson Mandela and the Game That Made a Nation work?

message 37: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 245 comments Dlmrose wrote: "If I choose I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. from the poem Invictus would the book Invictus: Nelson Mandela and the Game That Made a Nation work?"

Sounds like a perfect fit. I love checking out all the quotes entered.