The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.6. Seasoned Reader. Kathryn CA's Task: Young Adult Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 02, 2011 04:38PM) (new)

Sandy | 16194 comments Mod
20.6. Seasoned Reader. Kathryn CA's Task: Young Adult Series

I have been participating in the Seasonal Reading Challenge for 10 challenges now and I always try to fit in as many Young Adult novels as possible (my genre of choice). For this task, read a YA book that is a part of a series and has at least 400 pages.

To determine whether a book is YA for purposes of this task, go to the main Goodreads page for the book. On the right side, you will see a list of "Popular Shelves". If the book is shelved on "Young Adult," "YA," "Teen," or a similar shelf, it works for this task. The shelf must appear as a "Popular Shelf" on the main book page when you select it for the task.

You can read multiple books from series to add up to 400 pages if you want. This can be multiple books from the same series, or books from different series.

message 2: by Kate (last edited Mar 02, 2011 10:37AM) (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Approved:

message 3: by Kate (last edited Mar 02, 2011 10:37AM) (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Denied:

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16194 comments Mod
reserved

message 5: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments I love this task!!! Soooo many choices!!!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Erin (NY) wrote: "I love this task!!! Soooo many choices!!!"

That was my aim. To make it as unlimiting as possible.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments ohhh goodie! i've been on a real YA kick recently...i'm probably going to do with 2 books because I have Gathering Blue (giver book 2) and Across the Nightingale Floor (tales of the otoni bk 1) on the pile to read...yippee!!!

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Hmmmm...would a book that is part of a series that is in no particular order work? Like Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood" (Once Upon A Time Series)

message 9: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 111 comments In the Tales of the Otori series, every book except the fourth (The Harsh Cry of the Heron) is shelved as young adult. Do I need to choose a different book since this one doesn't technically meet the requirements of the challenge?

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Hmmmm...would a book that is part of a series that is in no particular order work? Like Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood" (Once Upon A Time Series)"

I will accept it.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Rachel Renee wrote: "In the Tales of the Otori series, every book except the fourth (The Harsh Cry of the Heron) is shelved as young adult. Do I need to choose a different book since this one doesn't te..."

Unfortunately, not. However, when you click on the shelves, young-adult is the next one and so if a couple more people put it on their young-adult shelves then it should change position. So you can check back from time to time to see if it changes. It just has to be their when you select it as the book you are going to read. Hope it changes positions for you!

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments yipes - I totally missed that popular shelves caveat!! I only have book 1 of the otori series on my list, but reading the description book 4 fits (about their kids - 15 and twin 13 year olds)...so i'll add it to my shelve, since its going to go on my wishlist anyways

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "yipes - I totally missed that popular shelves caveat!! I only have book 1 of the otori series on my list, but reading the description book 4 fits (about their kids - 15 and twin 13 year olds)...so..."

Yeah. Both of your books are on the Young Adult shelf so you are good. The forth book may change positions so maybe it will become available for this task later on in the challenge.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments i have another one that i'm going to use - but i checked and it fits...got to fit a book for another groups challenge in - Oh. My. Gods.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i have another one that i'm going to use - but i checked and it fits...got to fit a book for another groups challenge in - Oh. My. Gods."

Dee, I am afraid that this task is going to add too many books to my tbr. That book looks interesting.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments haha! i'm using it for my pick-a-shelf group because the popular shelf this month is mythology...also using PC Cast's goddess summoning series for 2 other tasks here...this challenge is always bad for my TBR!

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments If I can get through most of the tasks, my TBR list will be very happy. I can check off like 20 books from it.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "If I can get through most of the tasks, my TBR list will be very happy. I can check off like 20 books from it."

My problem isn't ever the getting books off of it, it is all the books I add during the challenge. lol

message 19: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments My TBR list is three pages long, typed. I always add to it as well.

message 20: by RedSycamore (last edited Mar 04, 2011 08:48AM) (new)

RedSycamore | 111 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Rachel Renee wrote: "In the Tales of the Otori series, every book except the fourth (The Harsh Cry of the Heron) is shelved as young adult. Do I need to choose a different book sinc..."

Thanks! I must have missed the young-adult tag when I looked at the full list. Looks like it only needs one more shelving as young-adult to show up on the list. :)

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments yay! I love YA! I just finished the Mortal Instruments Series (although I hear now there is a fourth one coming out!), and picked up Clockwork Angel from the library. It is the first in a planned trilogy, I assume that is okay?

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Kelly wrote: "yay! I love YA! I just finished the Mortal Instruments Series (although I hear now there is a fourth one coming out!), and picked up Clockwork Angel from the library. It is the f..."

That definitely works. Let me know how you like it. I have been meaning to read some of Cassandra Clare's works.

message 23: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments What about Harry Potter? Ive read only first one from serie but Id love deep more.

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I have checked all seven books and they are all classified as young adult on the popular shelves. I will not, however, accept the spin-offs (The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Quidditch Through the Ages, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) because they are not part of the actual series.

message 25: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I have been trying to get to Poison Study for months so I am going to read this one and its over 400 pages so I will only need one book.

message 26: by RedSycamore (new)

RedSycamore | 111 comments Young-adult has moved onto the popular shelves for The Harsh Cry of the Heron. Thanks to whoever shelved it!

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Jenn Renee wrote: "I have been trying to get to Poison Study for months so I am going to read this one and its over 400 pages so I will only need one book."

I have been meaning to read Poison Study. You will have to let me know how you like it.

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Rachel Renee wrote: "Young-adult has moved onto the popular shelves for The Harsh Cry of the Heron. Thanks to whoever shelved it!"

I am glad that it worked out for you!

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 14, 2011 04:12PM) (new)

Just double checking, in order to read the 400 pages, we can use two books from different series? So, Mockingjay and Rage together would work?

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Marie wrote: "Just double checking, in order to read the 400 pages, we can use two books from different series? So, Mockingjay and Rage together would work?"

Yes, those will both work together! Mockingjay is excellent if you haven't read it already!!!

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2011 11:31AM) (new)

Kathryn CA wrote: "Yes, those will both work together! Mockingjay is excellent if you haven't read it already!!!"

Sweet, thanks! :D I JUST finished Mockingjay yesterday, and yeah, it was awesome.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments This is hard. I don't read YA Series or I've read all of the series that's published. (ie harry potter). I have no Idea what to pick. I wish it didn't have to be a series. Sorry, I'm just complaining because I have no idea what to pick, and I tend to dislike most YA series.

message 33: by Mrs.soule (last edited Mar 19, 2011 03:59PM) (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) I'm addicted to shojo manga - currently reading through the Far Away and Boys Over Flowers series. Your task description states: "If the book is shelved on "Young Adult," "YA," "Teen," or a similar shelf, it works for this task." These series are on the shojo shelf which is Japanese for specifically teen girls. Will you accept that for this task as a "similar shelf" or is that too much a stretch?

The shelf description: http://www.goodreads.com/genres/shoujo

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments Hey Amanda
A couple of series you could maybe try
Hunger Games - Suzanna Collins - starts with The Hunger Games
The Giver - Lois Lowry
Graceling
Oh. My. Gods. - found this series to be cute and an easy read - mythology lite
Infinity

Amanda Pearl wrote: "This is hard. I don't read YA Series or I've read all of the series that's published. (ie harry potter). I have no Idea what to pick. I wish it didn't have to be a series. Sorry, I'm just comp..."

message 35: by Amanda (last edited Mar 21, 2011 06:21AM) (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "Hey Amanda
The Giver - Lois Lowry
Graceling
Oh. ..."</i>

Well, I've read the hunger games (I was unimpressed, [book:Battle Royale
is way better) and the giver, but maybe I'll try some of the other ones, thanks a lot for the suggestions!

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Mrs.soule wrote: "I'm addicted to shojo manga - currently reading through the Far Away and Boys Over Flowers series. Your task description states: "If the book is shelved on "Young Adult," "YA," "Teen," or a similar..."

I would prefer if it wasn't, but if that is the only option you have then I will accept it.

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "Hey Amanda
The Giver - Lois Lo..."

You can do re-reads if you want. And the Giver has two spin-off books so you can try those. I found I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You to be a cute series. Sorry you don't like the task.

message 38: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments You may find this list useful. They are not all YA, but a lot of them are. You have to scroll down a bit to get past all the vampires if that's not your thing ;-)
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/26...

message 40: by MsOPP (new)

MsOPP | 130 comments To be honest, I couldn't get through Uglies. I'm not a fan of most YA series, so I'm reread the first book of an oldie but goodie, Alanna: The First Adventure. I'm not sure what else to read because I haven't been in a mood to read the second one in the series, and I need another book to make 400 pages. I'm considering rereading The Giver.

message 41: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Percy Jackson is good. Also, Pretty Little Liars.

message 42: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments its been years since I read Alanna...i Loved those books and they've been released on kindle now ;)

MsOPP (Julie) wrote: "To be honest, I couldn't get through Uglies. I'm not a fan of most YA series, so I'm reread the first book of an oldie but goodie, Alanna: The First Adventure. I'm not s..."

message 43: by MsOPP (new)

MsOPP | 130 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "its been years since I read Alanna...i Loved those books and they've been released on kindle now ;)

MsOPP (Julie) wrote: "To be honest, I couldn't get through Uglies. I'm not a fan o..."

I can't believe someone else has read the Alanna series! I like the old school young adult series like A Stitch in Time and the Darkangel Trilogy.

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments yeah - i loved the Alanna series in middle school...lost track of how many times I read them...the girl who rides like a man and all that stuff - I wanted to be her so bad!

message 45: by MsOPP (new)

MsOPP | 130 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "yeah - i loved the Alanna series in middle school...lost track of how many times I read them...the girl who rides like a man and all that stuff - I wanted to be her so bad!"

LOL, me too!

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments MsOPP (Julie) wrote: "To be honest, I couldn't get through Uglies. I'm not a fan of most YA series, so I'm reread the first book of an oldie but goodie, Alanna: The First Adventure. I'm not s..."

I like science fiction, so I think I might like it. I wanted to only read one book, and it's hard to find a YA series that has over 400 pages.

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments I haven't read any of these- but they are longer ones - Graceling; Wit'ch Fire (this is by the pseudonym of james rollins who writes pretty good adult thrillers)

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments If I'm going to listen to them on audio, can I go by the number of pages listed on the GoodReads page?

message 49: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Yes, that works for me!

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Hi everyone, I know I was a grump earlier about YA series, but I wanted to recommend Graceling because it is really great. I think in general I like YA I'm just anti-Twilight. I've also been "judged" for reading YA so I don't like to admit my secret obsession lol.

I also like the House of Night series (Marked / Betrayed / Chosen / Untamed), but it gets kinda lame around book 4, but then picks back up around 7. I guess you hvae to take the good with the bad...

« previous 1