The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.4. Helen's Task: Science-Fiction/Fantasy Masters

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 02, 2011 04:22PM) (new)

Sandy | 16180 comments Mod
25.4. Helen's Task: Science-Fiction/Fantasy Masters

There are many fine writers who create works under this genre. Some authors have been designated as masters of their craft. For this task, you are asked to read books by two of these masters to experience the best of both science-fiction and fantasy.

A. The Science Fiction Writer's Association yearly designates one author as a life master for his/her body of work. This is titled "The Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award". Choose one of these authors and read one of his/her novels.
Damon Knight Award

AND

B. The World Fantasy Convention presents the World Fantasy Award for Lifetime Achievement.
Choose one of these authors and read one of his/her novels. World Fantasy Award

The authors do not have to be "new to you." Even if an author appears on both lists, you must read books by two different authors. If the book is by one of the authors listed, it does not have to be in the "fantasy" or "science fiction" genres. If the book is written by one of the listed authors, but under a pseudonym, you can use it for this task, but if this is not clearly indicated on the main book/author page, you must provide a link to a source that shows that the book you read is by an author on the list.

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Reserving

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Reserving

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16180 comments Mod
reserved

message 5: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Is it OK to read any book by one of these authors, even if the particular book is not in the genre? (e.g. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury)

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments is Madeline L'Engle going to be ok, since a lot of her stuff is classified as YA? Just to checking - i'm thinking about The Small Rain (although this one might not be YA)

good task though, its really pushing my comfort zone

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I love this task!!!!!!!! I have the most books in this genre on my TBR list.

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I Love this task!!!!!!! I have the most books of this genre in my TBR list.

message 9: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "is Madeline L'Engle going to be ok, since a lot of her stuff is classified as YA?"

YA isn't a problem for this challenge, is it? (I hope ...) I thought it was just 'young reader' i.e. children's books (elementary school level). YA usually refers to middle school and high school.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments nah...it shouldn't be...like I said in another thread...i'm paranoid...haha!! but actually the one I linked is on the adult shelves, so I should be good

message 11: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I would think if the book was over 100 pages, it could be YA or not.

message 12: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Rosemary wrote: "Is it OK to read any book by one of these authors, even if the particular book is not in the genre? (e.g. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury)"

That works - interesting book - good understanding of where his thoughts developed.

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "is Madeline L'Engle going to be ok, since a lot of her stuff is classified as YA? Just to checking - i'm thinking about The Small Rain (although this one might not be YA)

good tas..."

No problem - YA is acceptable.

message 14: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Will you accept books by Roald Dahl? He is listed in the fantasy list.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments I am going to read I, Robot and Cell

message 16: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Erin (NY) wrote: "Will you accept books by Roald Dahl? He is listed in the fantasy list."

i had this question, also!

message 17: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 199 comments Does anyone have any suggestions for Part A? I was looking at the list and I don't really know any of those author's or their books except for Ray Bradbury.

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Anne McCaffrey is good. So is Ursela LeGuin. Andre Norton is good too for the fantasy. Ursela Le Guin shows up both in the sci fi and fantasy.

message 19: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Kim D, what kinds of books do you like? Literary or lighter? Suspenseful or romantic?

The Left Hand of Darkness is a classic of literature, not just of science fiction.

McCaffrey's Pern books are relatively light and entertaining, I would recommend the first one if possible, because there is a bit of series to them, but not an absolute.

One of the best "quest" books I've ever read is Lord Valentine's Castle about a young prince who loses a kingdom that he probably didn't deserve, and becomes a different person who is then actually worthy to be king.

These all tend more toward fantasy than science fiction, except Left Hand which is an alien contact story. They date back to the era where fantasy started creeping into science fiction.

message 20: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) I remember really enjoying Lord Valentine's Castle, and I also loved The Left Hand of Darkness.

Another Robert Silverberg book that I really liked is At Winter's End.

message 21: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 199 comments Thanks for the suggestions! I pretty much read everything, so I'm sure I can find something in your suggestions to read.

message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Erin (NY) wrote: "Will you accept books by Roald Dahl? He is listed in the fantasy list."

Certainly - he is on the list.

message 23: by Carla (new)

Carla (carlajones) | 94 comments Can I use The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin? Thanks!!

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Carla wrote: "Can I use The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin? Thanks!!"

You surely can - it is a great book. I love Ursula LeGuin.

message 25: by Carla (new)

Carla (carlajones) | 94 comments Thank you! For the Roald Dahl books - would The Witches or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory work? I wasn't sure if they were too "young reader" to be counted.
Thanks!

message 26: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments They work - enjoy.