Reddit discussion

Book Stuff > English humor books?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrés (last edited Mar 02, 2011 02:18AM) (new)

Andrés (asilva) | 2 comments Any recommendation on books with good English / British humor, please?

I've heard that the "hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy" is English humor but it looks to me as SciFi (I did not read it yet).

Any other suggestion, please?

message 2: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Ford (spvf) | 2 comments Any P.G. Wodehouse - the Jeeves books are all very humorous.

message 3: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillereads) | 1 comments The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde was very British and rather humorous... it's filled with literary humor, science-fiction fun and for a bonus it has a diabolical villain.

message 4: by Vlad (new)

Vlad | 43 comments Three Men in a Boat is a classic.
Good Omens by Gaiman/Pratchett
Any of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett

message 5: by Andrés (new)

Andrés (asilva) | 2 comments Thanks to all. All your recommendations go to my to-read shelf.

I am surprised by the overlap that seems to exist between scifi/fantasy and humor. I would never thought that Gaiman or Pratchett could fall under the "english humor" label !

message 6: by Vlad (last edited Mar 08, 2011 12:52PM) (new)

Vlad | 43 comments I am surprised by the overlap that seems to exist between scifi/fantasy and humor. I would never thought that Gaiman or Pratchett could fall under the "english humor" label !

There's a perfectly rational explanation for this. All recognized British sci-fi authors are required to wear a duck on their heads. It does terrible terrible things to their minds.

message 7: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I just tried to find the button to upvote this...

message 8: by Simeon (new)

Simeon (yeahiknow3) | 39 comments Mod
Three Men in a Boat, hands down! Funniest book ever. I also love P.G. Wodehouse, but you have to be careful with him, since he's not as consistent as someone like JKJ.

message 9: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) JKJ?

message 10: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I'll have to check his stuff out at some point.

message 11: by Kelley (last edited Apr 21, 2011 09:36AM) (new)

Kelley (kelleyr) Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is a English novel-meets-Harry Potter book that you might enjoy. The author is Susanna Clarke. It is full of sarcasm and clever wit just like any typical "English novel." I will warn you though... it is super thick!

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 21, 2011 09:45AM) (new)

It's a brick. A huge, giant brick.

You could hollow it out and live in it.

message 13: by Grady (new)

Grady Hendrix A few more you might want to check out:

DIARY OF A PROVINCIAL LADY - it doesn't sound promising, but it's the 1930 precursor to Bridget Jones, only with a solid injection of Wodehouse.

The LUCIA Books - by EF Benson. They are really fantastic. A bit meaner than most Wodehouse, and they basically revolve around overly-polite catfights but they deliver great bang for your buck if you love Wodehouse and want something else.

THREE MEN IN A BOAT - it was mentioned up-thread, but it really is the classic British humorous novel done to perfection.

SKIPPY DIES - modern, not classic, and there's a lot of lit fic humiliation on display in it, but it is THE best novel of 2010 and it is funny as hell. It's the story of a bunch of kids at a British boarding school and what happens after one of them ODs and, well, dies. Hilarity ensues.

message 14: by Grady (new)

Grady Hendrix TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG - almost forgot this one. Connie Willis is American, not British, but TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG is a sci fi/time travel book that plays like Wodehouse and is set in Oxford around the 1920's.

message 15: by Fergus (new)

Fergus (insectoverlord) Evelyn Waugh and Graham Greene probably fall under the title of English humour.

message 16: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Some of their work, perhaps, but certainly not all of it.

message 17: by Ruchita (new)

Ruchita (nerdyback) | 1 comments Right Ho, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse is one of the funniest books ever written.

message 18: by Mendhak (new)

Mendhak Another vote for Discworld. It's very British. It can be wry, cynical, tongue-in-cheek and is overall extremely funny.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (leavesoflorien) | 2 comments Wodehouse, Adams, Terry Pratchett, and Tom Holt are all sure bets.

Also, I would recommend Stephen Fry. He's not exactly 'laugh-out-loud' funny, but he's witty and writes fabulous characters. I particularly recommend 'Making History' and 'The Hippopotamus'.

message 20: by Aravind (new)

Aravind | 1 comments Another upvote for Wodehouse. I am surprised by the number of people who have read wide and deep but never even heard of Wodehouse, classic, heart-warming comedy.

message 21: by Bob (new)

Bob Young (bobyworry) | 1 comments Laughed out loud more than once reading the Wilt books from Tom Sharpe...

message 22: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 1 comments does bill bryson count as british?

message 23: by Mark (new)

Mark Hebden (unisonlibrarian) | 1 comments I would recommend anything by Nick Horby, particularly High Fidelity.

message 24: by szymborskalyte (new)

szymborskalyte Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis! Hilarious dry wit coupled with an acerbic satirical edge.

message 25: by A z (new)

A z (lighthaus) | 1 comments Guards, Guards, Guards!

message 26: by Antriksh (new)

Antriksh (antrikshy) | 2 comments Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is less sci-fi compared to British humor, satire and adventure.

message 27: by radiovalkyrie (new)

radiovalkyrie | 2 comments I would like to second the Jasper Fforde recommendation, and also add that Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books are quite funny too.

message 28: by Ana (new)

Ana | 1 comments Cold Comfort Farm is a great book, a great satire from a time where horny-farm-boy stories and D. H. Lawrence (Lady Chatterley's lover) was dominating english literature.

message 29: by Paul (new)

Paul | 1 comments Karl Pilkington

message 30: by Neil (new)

Neil | 1 comments "A spot of bother" by Mark Haddon. Dry and Farcical, how us brits love our humour (note the "u")...

message 31: by Paul (new)

Paul Farnsworth (paul_farnsworth) | 1 comments Got to second the Tom Sharpe recommendation on this thread. My absolute favourite is Vintage Stuff.

Also have to mention two of my heroes J.B. Morton and Spike Milligan.