Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > Hex Hall/Demonglass SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah just finished the book AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And let me just say I want to make out with Archer Cross at a castle. Or in a cellar. Or as weird zombie things attack. Or in a dungeon.

This is also very exciting because 2 guys are in love with Sophie NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!

Did I mention Archer? Did I?

I should probably try to make a more intelligent post but at this point I just want to scream. So AHHHHHHH

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I just took a deep breath and realized half of what I said didn't make sense.

Normally its a 2 boys in a girl. But what's different is that Sophie isn't wavering back and forth and in love with two guys. They like her because well let's face it, Sophie's pretty awesome. If I weren't straight....

But yeah she's not some emo whiny chick waxing poetically about two guys. Nope she pretty much wants Archer. Me too. But she's just so not all the wannabe Bella whiny chicks out there.

"Less talking, more stabbing please." Need I say more?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Almost done. I'll have more to say tomorrow.

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I finished it also and i dont know i feel bad for Cal i like Archer but i feel for Cal!

message 5: by Traci (new)

Traci I agree, Jenn. Cal was so sweet! I mean clearly Archer is swoon-worthy, but.. I don't know. There's just something about Cal. Plus I feel like we didn't get to see enough of him in this book. I think there's a lot of potential in him!

I'm kind of mad at myself for reading this so quickly. Now there's going to be a looooong wait. >.<

I really, really loved it though. This is such a fun series, and I probably would never have picked it up if it weren't for this group. You guys are so awesome :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I don't think Cal is out of the game to be honest. She did get some fluttery feelings around him, and it's clear that he has feelings for her.

As of right now, she's separated from Archer, which could possibly mean that she will be thrown together with Cal at some point.

It's apparent that Archer is the one she wants/will end up with, but I'm still not unsure that there won't be a love triangle milked here.

Either that or Cal is going to surprise us and go EVIL after getting pushed aside, which would be a fun twist.

I am really liking both Cal and Archer right now.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Stacia - Registered Cake Offender wrote: "I don't think Cal is out of the game to be honest. She did get some fluttery feelings around him, and it's clear that he has feelings for her.
"

But those were like "oooo cute boy is holding me feelings." I think most girls get fluttering feelings when a supernaturally hot man looks at them like that (even when you have someone--its just nice to know you're still hot).

And she only really tried to like Cal because of the betrothal & she thought Archer was trying to kill her. And even she wasn't very convince.

But I still hold that this love triangle IS different but I suppose that's just because Sophie is different than a lot of protagonists out there.

message 8: by Traci (new)

Traci hahaha I agree, it IS different and so is Sophie and I love that.

but can I just say.. I totally knew it would be the Casnoffs. Lara was way too nice. :p

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Traci wrote: "hahaha I agree, it IS different and so is Sophie and I love that.

but can I just say.. I totally knew it would be the Casnoffs. Lara was way too nice. :p"

You are much better at predicting than me. Though I felt like a FOOL when it was revealed. I was like "how can these powerful witches not realize there are demons roaming around Hex Hall." Well hmmm, good question.

When that was revealed what I thought was a tiny bit of a plot hole evaporated into OMGness!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments The Sophie's mom thing at the end was my biggest HUH (along with how Cal knew).

I loved Sophie & Archer's exchange when they were in the dungeon talking about if they were normal teens. "We could argue in front of our lockers all dramatically. That's something I saw a lot at human high schools." LOL. Yes you might both die very shortly and you've still got a sense of humor.

No one has ever said I lacked enthusiasm. Sometimes I may have too much. I'm torn over whether I want to hear your theory or not (mainly because I love the surprises BUT I NEED TO KNOW).

message 11: by Manon (new)

Manon (missdarcys) | 2 comments I read this first book 6 months ago and it's still one of my favorites :) !
Sophie is so different from the girls we used to see in YA books, and this is partly why I love Hex Hall so much. Her humor is pretty great too, and the final was so... WHA that I just can't wait to read Demonglass ^^ !
(But I hope, if Archer is finally bad, that something will happen between Cal and Sophie - he was my second choice :P)

message 12: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Just devoured Demon Glass in about five or six hours. Thought it had a more serious thread running through it, but still found the humor refreshing and light.

Sophie is my YA paranormal hero! She isn't all whiny sappy girly romantic, but she isn't the butch take on the world bada** either. Love that she has vulnerabilities and strengths that are very relatable. I think she's a little tiny bit over the top in the love department, but most teens are.

While I may be in the minority, I'm not a huge Archer fan. I liked him well-enough in the first book, but he seemed pretty poutty/spoiled bratt in Demon Glass. He is completely swoon-worthy, but he's also quite a jerk, more seen in Hex Hall than in Demon Glass, but that quality was still fairly present. I'm not a fan of jerks no matter how dangerously good-looking they are. (And I just totally reminded myself of Zoolander, lol!)

I do like Cal, just because he is a really nice guy, but don't know yet whether he's a good match for Sophie. He doesn't seem to be in my opinion. And if Sophie starts falling for him, I hope to high heaven that Hawkins only does it in a way to thumb her nose at the love triangle thing that always goes on in YA books. This series so far has held up all the staples of a YA paranormal action/romance but in such a snarky way that it's beautiful.

The Casnoff's were evil! And I can't believe the whole council (with the exception of Sophie's dad) was in on the scheme!!! That was something I didn't see coming, although, like Cassi I was wondering a little over the plot hole in Hex Hall. Not so now!

The little twist about Sophie's mom there at the end should make for an interesting third book. We got to know her dad in Demon Glass, now it's mom's turn. And the Brannicks have facinated me from when I first read about them, so here's to Hawkins making this story truly unique. Thank you for giving me a place to vomit my opinion all over. I really like this series.

message 13: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments Yeah! I just finished and whoo hoo - nice work Hawkins! So ... theories

1)Sophie and Archer in the end but there is going to be a interlude with Cal because Archer can be such an jerk sometimes.

2)Sophie's mom is so a Brannick. That is why the Casnoff's said they both had a hard time staying away from the enemy. She is going to have some esplaining to do!

3)I think Cal is going to end up with a nice Brannick girl himself and he and Sophie are going to be good friends minus romance/awkwardness that she didn't choose him in the end.

Oh and I knew Lara was bad the moment she tried to suck up to Sophie with the whole room thing - nobody that powerful is going that far out of their way to suck up to the boss' daughter. Sure, have your assistant send flowers or whatever but personally deliver coffee - nah.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments You see I don't think Archer is quite as much a jerk as other people. (After the second read of Hex Hall that is).

Maybe I'm more sarcastic than most (Mom never gets mine & dads jokes) or something. Bur Archer just kind of seems funny to me.

message 15: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments I think he means it all in good fun but he is being pulled in two different directions not to mention I have a feeling that his adopted "dad" and the head of the eye are going to be a little manipulating in this whole next book. I can't imagine they are going to be stoked on the romance.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I didn't think he was that much of a jerk either.

message 17: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I think I said I was in the minority on my opinion, lol. Jerks can be funny and charming, and Archer's funny and charming side is why I kinda liked him in Hex Hall. I didn't see anything really funny or charming about him in Demonglass though. IMO, he was an angsty, spoiled bratt and I didn't really have fun or fluttering reading the scenes with him in them. This seems like a Romeo and Juliet based story, so who knows, they may both end up dead in the end. That would be a surprising ending!

And I agree with you Jaimie in that Archer is in a prime position to be completely manipulated in the next book.

message 18: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments P.S. Cassi, Cal knows more about Sophie and her history than Sophie does. He knows about her mom through the chat he had with her dad before he agreed to the betrothal. Her dad seems like an open person, so he would make sure Cal knew exactly what he was getting before he sealed the deal. Makes me wonder what else he knows about her...

message 19: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments Don't get me wrong I like Archer but he has a lot going on and his snarky/funny side can get a little cutting when he is trying to do what he thinks he needs to. I am an Archer fan but in the next book I think we are going to be on his turf and his "people" don't even want Sophie to remain breathing. So there is going to be a divide in his loyalties - kind of like she did in this book.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Becca wrote: "This seems like a Romeo and Juliet based story, so who knows, they may both end up dead in the end..."

Well that would be a twist!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I kind of feel sorry for Archer. Pretty twisted being raised by people trying to destroy your kind (and using you to do it). What happens if they kill all prodigium? Are they just gonna leave Archer alone?

That just sucks so much. I hadn't thought about how much Archer's life must suck.

message 22: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments And there are other prodigium working with the Eye as well. I wonder if they've thought about what's going to happen to them if the Eye acheives its goal?

Archer's life does suck, but then again, I wouldn't want to be in Sophie's shoes either. Part demon, #1 on the most wanted list for a lot of hate groups, etc.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Becca wrote: "And there are other prodigium working with the Eye as well. I wonder if they've thought about what's going to happen to them if the Eye acheives its goal?

Archer's life does suck, but then again..."

But at least Sophie has people who love her--both her dad and her mom. But who loves Archer? Seriously I imagine once they eliminate the rest of prodigium they'll get rid of the likes of Archer.

And you have to wonder if there's some self-loathing going on there. Because you know in his belief system he's evil and all that.

message 24: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments In other words, he's screwed either way and screwed up in the meantime, lol! Now I feel bad for him. There's a reason he's so dang angsty. If Sophie doesn't love him, nobody loves him, and that would just plain suck.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Becca wrote: "In other words, he's screwed either way and screwed up in the meantime, lol! Now I feel bad for him. There's a reason he's so dang angsty. If Sophie doesn't love him, nobody loves him, and that wou..."

Exactly. It's kinda incredible he's not more of a jerk with his stupid life.

Of course if it were me I wouldn't be a jerk. I'd be curled up in a fetal position crying somewhere.

message 26: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments lol! Sounds about right. Talk about a case that calls for severe depression!

message 27: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 351 comments I read both just a couple days ago. i have to say, i enjoyed book 2, much much more than book 1. hex hall was good, but demonglass was excellent. I'd very much like to make out with both guys. XD they both sound super sexy and if ANY guy is willing to go against an organization that wanted to wipe out my kind just to be with me... i'm sorry to say... i'd jump him. in the naughty way. XD

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Kayla wrote: "and if ANY guy is willing to go against an organization that wanted to wipe out my kind just to be with me... i'm sorry to say... i'd jump him. in the naughty way. "

LOL!!!

message 29: by Wendy Darling (last edited May 09, 2011 04:43AM) (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 193 comments I just read the books last week and just found this thread...I love both! This group is so fun.

It was only after I'd finished Demonglass and I kept thinking about both books that I realized how much I liked them. I've already gone back again to skim through to the good parts, most of which involve Archer. Mmm! Though I wouldn't push Cal away, either.

These books are so hilarious, and I love that everyone has a distinct voice. I like the witchy stuff, I like the characters, I like the relationships (how fun is Jenna? and the idea of her killing things with a glitter bomb?)....but I don't like the year's wait for another one. *sigh*

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I KNOW. The wait is the worst part. These books make me so happy. It's like "look YA can be fun!"

Jenna is probably my favorite vamp ever. Which isn't hard considering I don't like vamps--but she goes against all the stereotypes in a good non-sparkly (but very pink) way.

message 31: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 193 comments Yeah, having more YA books like this would be great. I really liked (as you know, Cassi) Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, though this one is still more fun overall. And I like that the author manages to surprise you with the plot, it's like "oh, look what hijinks we're up to...BUT WAIT, your hot boyfriend wants wants to kill you!" (not really, but you know.)

Have you looked at the author's website, btw? She goes into detail about how she sold the series, which is amazing because it happened pretty fast. Maybe her success will mean that we'll see more funny and smart heroines.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I've been to her blog but probably not her website proper. I need to check that out.

I can understand why it sold so fast. When I read this book I was like YES VICTORY!!! Because it's fun, it's not mopey, Sophie is smart, there's enough romance but not too much, etc. It's just perfect in so many ways. Hex Hall is exactly what I'm looking for so I'm guessing publishers thought the same way.

(And it's perfect as a Disney book, as is Princess for Hire, makes me want to check out more of their books)

message 33: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 193 comments Exactly. All the relationship stuff is in the right context of her life, as it should be!

Apparently there was a big bidding war over her book, which Disney-Hyperion won. I'm so glad to see a fresh, original voice rewarded.

I have theories about dear old mom, too, btw. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

message 34: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 193 comments I'm such a dork. I just added this quote to the database:

"It occurred to me that my cheek was probably right over his tattoo. Without thinking, I lifted my face and tugged at the neckline of his T-shirt. This time, the stark black-and-gold mark wasn't hidden. No need for that spell anymore, I guess. Still, I covered it with my palm. Archer's hands clutched reflexively on my waist. Our eyes met. "It doesn't burn this time," I whispered.

His breathing was ragged. "Beg to differ, Mercer."
— Rachel Hawkins (Demonglass)

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I love this series.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments There is so my sexiness in that quote Wendy. I need to go make-out with my copy of Demonglass now. Thanks a lot

message 37: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 193 comments *sweeping curtsey*

It's only the BEST line in the book! Aside from "Bad dog," of course.

message 38: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Hahaha! That series had me hooked from the magic donut, but Bad dog had me absolutely rolling on the floor. LOVE Sophie and pals.

message 39: by T♥ni (new)

T♥ni | 2 comments OMG can come PLEASE PLEASE explain the ending to me!!! I am so lost with what happened to her dad and her!!! are her powers gone and how i thought she didn't go through the removal process and what happened to her dad!!!! Can someone please please please X1000000 help me out here

message 40: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 193 comments Toni--I don't think any of us know yet! It was a huge cliffhanger and we're going to have to wait until book 3 next year (boo hiss!) to find out.

message 41: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Toni - We don't know what happened to Sophie's dad, Cal went back into the fire to rescue him and Archer, so they'll probably live. Cal is just that good.

Sophie's powers are under a pretty big binding spell, but haven't been removed. She can't use them right now, but they are still there and she's on her way to see her mom, where the story just opened a whole new can of worms for us to delight in.

message 42: by Jill (new)

Jill | 68 comments I am a card carrying member of TEAM CAL!

message 43: by T♥ni (new)

T♥ni | 2 comments OMG i have been rereading the end of the book and real hope that if its possible Sophie's dad gets his powers back cuz he will really need them and also that Sophie finds a way to unbreak the binding spell and i no this is mean but i kinda want Archer to die in the fire because i want Sophie to be with Cal (<3 i love him)

message 44: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 351 comments Let Sophie have Archer... I want Cal. XD

message 45: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 193 comments Jill wrote: "I am a card carrying member of TEAM CAL!"

I want to see a photo of this card, Jill. o - O

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments So all you Cal lovers crack me up. That just means more Archer for me.

(Really they're both nice guys, but I just like Archer's sense of humor. He makes me laugh & that's important to me)

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Just read the books and I love Sophie and Archer. I like Cal but really hope nothing happens between him and Sophie.

Her mom has to be a Brannick. It will be interesting to hear more about her mom and dad and what happened between them.

Do we really have to wait until March???

message 48: by Manon (new)

Manon (missdarcys) | 2 comments Yeah, same for me as Cassi, I totally prefer Archer to Cal - OK Cal is a good person, but Archer is so much more funny AND good-looking ;)
(Seriously I'd love to have a boyfriend who'd be like Archer)

@ Shannen
And you're lucky, Spell Bound will be released in France next September !
I don't know how I'm gonna wait - or I'll probably buy it in English.

message 49: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 135 comments I love this series. Hex Hall and Demonglass were so good and I so badly want to read the newest book in the series. My library hasn't got it yet though.

message 50: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (cherybery1rocketmailcom) | 27 comments I loved this series... I was disappointed in the last book though :(

« previous 1