Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

Norah Lofts Titles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sylvia (last edited May 20, 2017 04:13PM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Alphabetical Listing
(Includes alternate titles [AKA], copyright date, and other designations)

Afternoon of an Autocrat 1956 (aka The Deadly Gift, 1967 and
The Devil in Clevely, 1968)
Anne Bolyn (NF) 1979
Bless This House 1954
Blossom Like the Rose 1939
Brittle Glass, The 1942
Calf For Venus, A 1949 (aka Letty, 1968)
Charlotte (aka Out of the Dark) 1972
Checkmate 1975
Claw, The 1981
Concubine, The 1963
Copsi Castle [Juliet Astley] 1978
Crown of Aloes 1974
Day of the Butterfly, The 1979
Dead March in Three Keys 1940 (aka No Question Of Murder,
1959 and Bride of Moat House, 1975) [P. Curtis]
Devil's Own, The 1960 (aka The Witches, 1966 and
The Little Wax Doll, 1970) [P. Curtis]
Domestic Life in England (NF) 1976
Emma Hamilton (NF) 1978
Esther 1950
Eternal France (NF) 1968
Fall of Midas, The [Juliet Astley] 1975
Gad's Hall 1977
Haunting of Gad's Hall, The (aka Haunted House) 1978
Hauntings (aka Hauntings: Is There Anybody There?)
(short stories) 1974
Heaven In Your Hand (short stories) 1958
Her Own Special Island (aka Uneasy Paradise) 1965
Here Was a Man 1936
Hester Roon 1940
Homecoming, The (Part 2 of Knight's Acre) 1975
House At Old Vine, The (Part 2 of The Town House)1961
House At Sunset, The (Part 3 of The Town House) 1962
How Far To Bethlehem 1965
I Met a Gypsy 1935
Jassy 1944
King's Pleasure, The 1969
Knight's Acre 1975
Lady Living Alone [Peter Curtis] 1944
Lonely Furrow, The (Part 3 of Knight's Acre) 1977
Lost Queen, The (aka The Lost Ones) 1969
Lovers All Untrue 1970
Lute Player, The 1951
Madselin 1969
Maude Reed Tale, The (for children) 1971
Michael and All Angels 1943 (aka The Golden Fleece)
Nethergate 1973
Old Priory, The 1981
Out Of This Nettle (aka Colin Lowrie) 1938
Pargeters 1984 (by Executors)
Queen in Waiting 1955 (aka Eleanor the Queen)
Queens of Britain (aka Queens of England) 1977
Requiem For Idols 1938
Road To Revelation, The (aka Winter Harvest) 1941
Rose For Virtue, A 1971
Rupert Hatton's Story (for children) 1972
Saving Face (short stories) 1983
Scent Of Cloves 1957
Silver Nutmeg 1947
To See a Fine Lady 1946
Town House, The 1959
Walk Into My Parlor 1975
Wayside Tavern, A 1980
White Hell Of Pity 1937
Women In the Old Testament (NF) 1949
You're Best Alone 1943 [Peter Curtis]

CHRONOLOGICAL LIST OF TITLES:

1935 - I Met a Gypsy
1936 - Here Was a Man
1937 - White Hell of Pity
1938 - Out of This Nettle (aka Colin Lowrie)
1938 - Requiem For Idols
1939 - Blossom Like the Rose
1940 - Dead March in Three Keys (aka No Question of Murder, and aka Bride of Moat House, all under Peter Curtis)
1940 - Hester Roon
1941 - The Road to Revelation (aka Winter Harvest)
1943 - The Brittle Glass
1943 - You're Best Alone (under Peter Curtis)
1943 - The Golden Fleece (aka Michael and All Angels)
1944 - Jassy
1945 - Lady Living Alone (under Peter Curtis)
1946 - To See a Fine Lady
1947 - Silver Nutmeg
1949 - A Calf For Venus (aka Letty)
1950 - Esther
1951 - The Lute Player
1954 - Bless This House
1955 - Eleanor the Queen (aka Queen in Waiting)
1956 - Afternoon of an Autocrat (aka The Devil in Clevely, and aka The Deadly Gift)
1957 - Scent of Cloves
1958 - Heaven in Your Hand (short stories)
1959 - The Town House
1960 - The Devil's Own (aka The Little Wax Doll under P. Curtis)
1961 - The House at Old Vine
1962 - The House at Sunset
1963 - The Concubine
1964 - How Far to Bethlehem
1965 - Hauntings: Is There Anybody There? (short stories)
1965 - Uneasy Paradise (aka Her Own Special Island)
1968 - Eternal France
1968 - The Lost Queen (aka The Lost Ones)
1968 - Madselin
1969 - The King's Pleasure
1970 - Lovers All Untrue
1971 - The Naude Reed Tale (for children)
1971 - The Rupert Hatton Tale (for children)
1971 - A Rose For Virtue
1972 - Charlotte (aka Out of the Dark)
1973 - Nethergate
1973 - Crown of Aloes
1975 - Checkmate
1975 - The Fall of Midas (under Juliet Astley)
1975 - Knight's Acre
1975 - The Homecoming
1975 - Walk Into My Parlor
1976 - The Lonely Furrow
1976 - Domestic Life in England
1977 - Queens of England
1978 - Copsi Castle (under Juliet Astley)
1978 - Emma Hamilton
1978 - The Haunting of Gad's Hall
1979 - Anne Boleyn
1979 - The Day of the Butterfly
1980 - A Wayside Tavern
1981 - The Claw
1981 - The Old Priory
1983 - Saving Face (short stories)
1984 - Pargeters (published by Executors)

message 2: by Sylvia (last edited Mar 04, 2011 10:24AM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments I believe the actual number of books Norah Lofts wrote is 63.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments And I believe you are wonderful!

message 4: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments Great job, Sylvia! Thank you!

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Mary did not want me to give her credit for finding a mistake in the list (a very important one!), but she definitely deserves the credit. One of the titles, "Requiem For Idols", I listed as having the alternate title of "You're Best Alone", but they are two separate books. I have made the correction above, and any of you who have already copied this list should make the change to two separate titles also. This brings her total number of books up to 63. I also count 17 alternate titles, although I am not positive that a few of those are really alternates so much as extended titles, such as "Hauntings: Is There Anybody There.

Please be alert to any other mistakes you find, and don't worry about embarrassing me by posting them. We want the most accurate title list in existence!

Thanks so much, Mary!

message 6: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments Oh, Syl-vee-ah!

message 7: by Barbara (last edited Mar 05, 2011 09:04PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Very tiny, maybe not worth the name corrections, but I think Queen in Waiting was the origainal title of Eleanor the Queen (not vice versa , that is)
Also I wonder if we should call "I Met A Gypsy 'linked or thematic' short stories or something like that?

message 8: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments I've always thought of I Met a Gypsy as a novel, in the style of Bless This House, with the various vignettes strung together though not quite so closely linked in time as those of the House Trilogy or Nethergate.

message 9: by Sylvia (last edited Mar 06, 2011 01:40PM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Thanks, Barbara and Mary. I don't consider any suggestions as tiny, because I have been frustated for years in trying to get an accurate list together. I worked all day Saturday with three fairly dependable sources trying to ascertain, once and for all, which titles are the original ones. TomFolio.com and Wiki have good lists and even give the dates for the publishing of the alternate titles, but my third source, the Orlando Project, is not well organized IMO, and they don't even give all of her titles.

It is odd that "I Met a Gypsy" has come up at this time. I never read it, but had Rychard put my copy in our car, so that when we are out, and I wait in the car, I can read it. So at this moment, it is out of reach for me, and I can't figure out which term (from the above) would be more appropriate for the correction. TomFolio and Wiki both list it under Short Stories. Please tell me, all, what you would prefer.

I have found four titles to be changed to the original titles. If you have already copied the list, you won't necessarily have to recopy. All of the titles are there, just not in the same order, except that I am listing Queens of Britain first, and then Queens of England as the US alt. title. Also, the copyright date for The Lute Player is 1951.

I thought it might be handy for you to know which titles are listed by her pseudonyms:
Juliet Astley - Copsi Castle and The Fall of Midas
Peter Curtis - Dead March In Three Keys, The Devil's Own, Lady Living Alone, and You're Best Alone.

message 10: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Sorry to follow my own post with another one! I just made corrections to the list, putting four original titles first. They are: The Devil's Own, Michael and All Angels, Queen in Waiting, and Queens of Britain.

When there were many reprint dates on those alt. titles, I didn't have room to put them down, but you can find them on TomFolio or Wiki.

In "I Met a Gypsy", were the stories all connected by offspring of one gypsy, even if their stories weren't related?

message 11: by MaryC (last edited Mar 06, 2011 04:27PM) (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments The episodes of I Met a Gypsy all involve the descendants of one gypsy, and the reader can trace the line of descent from one episode to the next. It doesn't all take place in one location, like Bless This House or A Wayside Tavern, but it's all one family, rather like the Gildersons. Sylvia, since you're the one compiling the list, I think we should defer to your judgment on whether it's a novel or a collection of stories, so have fun waiting in the car!

message 12: by Barbara (last edited Mar 06, 2011 05:48PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Yes, I agree to happily defer to Sylvia's decision..

I don;t know if this is the right thread really but I have been thinking that it would be nice to do a group read again, what do you all think ?

If you would like to , which of Norah Lofts titles ( hah see what I did there!) would you choose?

message 13: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Very clever, "Titled" lady! Would anyone be interested in reading "I Met a Gypsy"? I found all of the old topics by clicking on "General" at the top of the discussions page, and POOF - there were all those 'lost in space' topics including the original Blossom Like the Rose! Werner, is that what you said to do? But I didn't see anything for the Gypsy book. I have now ended my research note- taking on the Layer Wood Map, and am now typing them up. I have already discarded three tentative map drawings, but hope to be done with my version by the end of March, so I am now game to read whatever the rest of you choose.

Oh, in keeping with this titles thread, I have seen three title versions of the same book i.e. "A Rose For Virtue", "The Very Private Life of Hortense", and both together as "A Rose For Virtue: The Very Private Life of Hortense."

My hb copy pub. by Doubleday, 1971, uses the title "A Rose for Virtue" on the cover, but on the title page prints in BOLD "A Rose for Virtue" and under that the longer phrase (no colon) "The very private life of Hortense, stepdaughter of Napoleon I, mother of Napoleon III". The phrase seems like more of a synopsis of the book than an extended title. My own inclination is to just go with the short title and forget listing any part of the following phrase as an alternate title.

I would like to hear what you think. Does anyone have a first edition by pub. Hodder and Stoughton? They may have gone with NL's preference.

(See how nitpicky I can be?!)

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments I will go with you Sylvia, your methods seem sensible and logical.

I would be happy to do a group read of Gypsy or Madselin ( or whatever suits most of us best really )

message 15: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments I agree with Barbara and lean toward Gypsy.

message 16: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments I don't have Madselin and don't know how fast I could get my hands on a copy (my library doesn't carry it) but I do have "I met a gypsy."

Not meaning we should do that one, just saying I would participate if we did.

message 17: by Barbara (last edited Mar 07, 2011 08:05PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Tanya, Susan, Elaina , Alice, Sherry, Cassie , Werner - interested in I met a Gypsy ?

message 18: by Sylvia (last edited Mar 10, 2011 11:44AM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments The Webmaster at Fantastic Fiction has revised their NL list, and the best part is that it is chronologically listed (in order of copyright date or first pub.)! It is the only list I have used that is in order by date. There are a few discrepancies overall, but it is a very useful list, and, IMO, the most attractive one I've seen, and is also in large print. The addres is: www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/1/norah-lo...

Do any of you have "Selected Works, 1979? I have a feeling it is a collection of several authors. Also "Mr. Edward" is listed there under Short Stories. Is that one of her shorts? I haven't had a chance to check yet.

message 19: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments Sylvia,

Mr. Edward is a short story; the book I have it in is titled "Hauntings: Is anybody there". It is all short stories by NL. I will look at my book tonight and see what the copyright is.

message 20: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Thanks, Peggy. I just now sent that info over to FantasticFiction. I think I already sent him the date on Hauntings. I'll check on his corrections in a few days.

message 21: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments I thought I had found another NL book title, but cannot find it listed at Amazon, Alibris, or ABE. The local library wasn't any help to me. This book title was listed with other NL titles in the front of "Rupert Hatton's Tale". I wonder if it may really have been an article or some other short work, maybe for college courses?

The title is "Writing the Historical Novel". Does anyone have it, or has anyone heard of it? Werner, if you can find the time, will you please look it up in Books In Print or Out-of-Print Books or wherever you think it might be listed? Thanks! Of course, if it isn't available, there may be no sense in including it on our list.

message 22: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments For what this is worth, I just looked at an online bibilography of her books (ncluding the non-fiction works), and there was nothing by that title. I think you're right in supposing that it might have been an article.

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ggodreadscomsherry_andre) Thank you so much for the above alphabetical listing. A friend is recommending we read NL's East Anglia books before going over to tour the area next spring, so I am trying to locate said novels. I have and have read a number of her fictional biographies, and I am now cross-referencing several sites to locate the correct titles set in East Anglia.
I noticed in going down your listing that you have:
"Queens of Gritain (aka Queens of England) 1977" - instead of Queens of Britian" a G instead of a B, and thought you'd want to correct it. I am fascinated by the comments, and will pursue them when I have more time. Thank You.

message 24: by Barbara (last edited Nov 28, 2011 12:08AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments This is barely on topic - but I just wanted to say, I have just read, non-stop basically

Pargeters
The 2 Gads
Esther
The Old Priory
The Concubine
Crown Of Aloes ( in progress)

...and every single one is as fresh as the first time . Wonderful woman NL...

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments I am a brand new member to this list--I joined Goodreads just to join you fellow Norah Lofts fans. I have been an NL fan for more than 40 years, ever since I started reading her books when I was in high school. Through the years I bought every one of them that I could find. I have more than 50, I seem to recall... but there are some on this list which I never knew about! So thank you thank you--I am remedying that problem immediately. I have read most of my NL books more than once, and many (such as Bless This House and the House Trilogy) at least 10-12 times through the years. It is simply wonderful to find others who are interested in discussing these wonderful books. I am looking forward to getting to know you better.

message 26: by Barbara (last edited Nov 28, 2011 09:47PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments How lovely to 'meet ' you ! I am - and I know the others will be too - really looking foward to your input. Isnt it nice to find books you haven't read from a favourite author?!

Hope you can join the in the Old Priory group read.

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments Hope you can ..."

I'd love to join in--how would I go about doing that? As for finding "new" books by my favorite author, it is fantastic! I haven't read a "new" book by NL in years. As I said, I thought I had them all. I am most excited!!

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments Oops, never mind, I just found the thread where you are all discussing Arthur and Lettice. I will join in when the opportunity arises :)

message 29: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments Welcome, Debbie. I read my first NL when I was in high school too. As Barbara says, jump in and join us on the discussions!

Barbara, I always find some fresh insight when I re-read NL's books, depending on what has gone on in my personal life. We are so lucky to be NL fans.

message 30: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments Welcome, Debbie! Glad to have you aboard! Now before you rush to acquire all those titles you didn't know about, make sure they're not just alternate titles for books you're already read.

message 31: by Ayah (new)

Ayah | 26 comments Hi Debbie, and welcome.
I too have read most of my NL novels multiple times and just like Peggy, I notice something new on each rereading.
Looking forward to having you in the group read.

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments Thanks for the welcome! Mary, I did think of the alternate title issue. But since the alternates are listed on Silvia's list, presumably I don't have these. If I do, I will have a new alternate title to add above. There are actually one or two others which I don't have, but I know I've read them. I should probably buy them too, just for the sake of having a complete collection :) Such riches! Even my husband got excited for me, LOL!

message 33: by Barbara (last edited Nov 30, 2011 10:40PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Now that's interesting - even more alternate titles ! ( I think I am reading you correctly Debbie- you are saying that you know about the alternate titles on Sylvia's list at message 1 and you know of some more, not listed? )

I just sent for Lady Living alone and 2 others , Crown Of Aloes and Day of The Butterfly , books I have read, but didn't own. Well to my complete surprise, I find I have never actually read Lady Living Alone . I think it's because it's a Peter Curtis one.

Just goes to show, you can never be complacent!

message 34: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments I don't actually know of any other alternate titles which aren't listed (I knew most of the ones which WERE listed, however.) What I meant was, if any of the books I just ordered turn out to be alternate titles for something I already own, it means they were NOT listed on Sylvia's list and I can let everyone know. Funny you are saying you ordered Lady Living Alone--that is the one which I believe I have read, but don't own. I'm amused by the cover photos which are showing up of re-published books. None of mine were published recently, and some (like my hardcover copy of Bless This House) are first editions. I can't even begin to guess how many times I've read it!

The ones I just ordered are Fall of Midas, Her Own Special Island, and Walk Into My Parlor. Without the magic of the internet, I don't suppose I would have known these books even existed, let alone have been able to immediately find and purchase them. I used to haunt bookstores looking for previously undiscovered NL books... but I had long since assumed I had corralled all of them. As you said, I was complacent! I am just so pleased to have found you fellow NL addicts :)

message 35: by Barbara (last edited Dec 03, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments I just got Copsi Castle , which I ALSO find I have never read! Again it because it was one of her pseudonym ones I think, Juliet Astley this time.

I think I avoided them because I was afraid of the JA ones being in some way 'inferior' or at least more lightly romantic and I didn't want my love affair with NL compromised in any way !

Well Copsi Castle is very enjoyable , quite Gothic in some ways , but the usual cracking writing !

message 36: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments I just love all of you Lofts fanatics, and it's so wonderful that you've joined us, Debbie! I remember liking Copsi Castle, but did feel disappointed in Her Own Special Island. I would not have guessed that NL wrote it without her name on it. Yet I do feel pressured to read everything she ever wrote, just so I won't miss anything, even though I forget everything! I never tire of reading her "House" books - they are like dearest friends and always new to my forgetful mind.

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments Sylvia, I feel exactly the same about NL's "House" books; no matter how often I have read them (and it has been VERY many times!), I find that even if I just open at random, I can't put the book down until I've finished it once again. [I say to myself, "you do not have TIME for this--you know how it ends, just go back to what you are supposed to be doing"-- but the book grabs me every time.] And if I'm having some kind of bad time,sometimes I pick out one and lose myself in the fictional life of Baildon--as if it were a refuge I can run to when I need to get away from reality.

I often go looking for one I haven't read in a long time, so it's almost like reading it for the first time. Thank goodness NL wrote so many books so I can almost always find one that I "sort of don't remember".

message 38: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments Sylvia, one thing that I liked about Her Own Special Island, something that tickled me, was that when Lindy and her fellow-conspirators smuggled Dolores off the island as an American tourist, they put a little packet of Kleenex in her handbag as a realistic detail. It's nice to find an English author who knows us that well but doesn't caricature us! (Right now my husband and I are reading G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories on talking book, and we're glad to see his American characters depicted more positively as the series goes on. The earliest ones made me cringe!)

message 39: by Barbara (last edited Dec 03, 2011 09:34PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Finshed Copsi Castle a few minutes ago . I really liked it, tho perhaps the end was a touch glib... Oh I don't know, maybe not... But it was an unmistakable NL, as opposed to HOSI which, as as Sylvia suggested above, was not really up to par. Mind you , it did have that Kleenex touch that Mary remembers !

message 40: by Peggy (last edited Dec 04, 2011 04:44AM) (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments I started a folder a while back titled "Peter Curtis" and we have a couple of books listed there, Bride of Moat House and Lady Living Alone.

It's been a long time since I read Copsi Castle; I need to find a copy for a re-read.

When you all get the time, it'd be great to see some more comments in the "Lady Living Alone" thread. Penelope, the main character, is an author and I always wondered if any of her personality applied to NL's. Penelope was a contrast to Deb, the "resident author" we all loved in Gad's Hall.

message 41: by Barbara (last edited Dec 06, 2011 07:17PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Peggy - maybe we could widen the scope of the Peter Curtis folder to Peter Curtis and Juliet Astley?

message 42: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 893 comments Barbara, I changed the title of the folder to say "Peter Curtis & Juliet Astley" and I went through our topics to try to move the appropriate books to this folder.

message 43: by Barbara (last edited Dec 07, 2011 10:11PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Hi Ayah, - I though I'd answer your qu about Emma Hamilton and nbon fictions here, hope that's OK with you .
Yes, Emma Hamilton is a NL non fiction and very good it is . She doesn't attempt to whitewash Emma, though it's clear she got very fond of her .

I read her Anne Bolyen for the first time last year and loved that too. It has , I guess, been overtaken by more recent research ( the Boleyn stepmother seems not have existed, for instance . But for me, it didn't lose a thing .

One of the non-fictions I found completely facinating is Women in the Old Testament. Really, it has a great deal of fictionalised stuff in it, given that nothing is known about those women apart from the bare bones of the OT, not even a name in some cases. The sub title is A Psychological Portrait ( or something like that) and so it is.

I've always been interested in religion studies - and in women from a feminist perspective - so for me it was a winner . I particularly liked the Ruth and Naomi story which I realised I had never actually understood before .

I wish she had lived to do other books like WITOT - say one on the Prophet Mohammed's wives for instance. They have always interested me esp Khadijah and Ayesha.

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Peggy wrote: "Barbara, I changed the title of the folder to say "Peter Curtis & Juliet Astley" and I went through our topics to try to move the appropriate books to this folder."

Great , thanks Pegs.

message 45: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments Barbara,

Thanks for the info about NL's non-fiction. I have no idea why it never occurred to me to read those--I simply ignored them. I guess years ago I wasn't as interested in history as I am now. I took a job as an archivist at a small local historical society about 6 years ago, and have gotten more and more into history since then. I am most definitely putting these books on my reading list! One thing I love about NL's books is that they leave me wanting to start researching whatever historical period she's just led me through. So much to learn about--so little time!

As for the Women in the Old Testament--I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, to tell the truth. That is actually "my field"-- I have an MA in the Hebrew Bible. I never quite made it to the "bible scholar" level of accomplishment (I dropped out halfway through the doctorate program), but the scholarly part of my brain often wars with the part of my brain that simply appreciates a good story! OTOH, when you said you never actually understood the story of Ruth and Naomi before, it makes me curious as to what NL wrote about them. I teach an Intro to the Hebrew Bible class and we just did Ruth a few months ago. I've read NL's Esther, and it was never one of my favorites.

I'm sorry to have digressed so far--please move this message to one of the other discussion folders if that is more appropriate.

message 46: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Debbie, what a fascinating degree you have! Did you happen to study at Hebrew Union in Cincinnati? I have a friend who earned his Doctorate there in the ancient languages, specializing in Akkadian, which I had never before heard of.

My take on NL's Esther was that the Bible account is so colorful and complete that she should have chosen another Bible personality, which could have used her creative embellishments.

I have the impression through shopping on Alibris and the other rare books sites that NL's Women in the Old Testament is one of her hardest books to obtain. My copy is so old, and with such small print, that I can't read it without a lighted magnifier!

message 47: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments I have a brand new paperback copy of WITOT, Macmillan. I doesn't say when it was reprinted , and the typeset etc looks very dated. I sent for it online , sorry I just can't remember from whom. Alibris perhaps ? It cost heaps I remember.
I got Domestic Life in England at the same time, an oldish hardback from Book Club Associates, part of Wiedenfield and Nelson. Beautiful illustrations, like the Emma H one.
I shall have to get Eternal France now.

message 48: by Ayah (new)

Ayah | 26 comments I still love NL's Anne Boleyn as well, even in light of the liberties that she may have taken and the new evidence come to light.

Although I've found some copies of "Women in the Old Testament," I haven't yet been able to afford one. It seems they're much in demand.

As for NL writing about the wives of Muhammad, I think that would have been interesting, although I'm certain she shared many of the misconceptions of her age. If you're interested, there's an excellent volume called "Untold: A History of the Wives of Prophet Muhammad" by Tamam Kahn. It's written in a really engaging style and I prefer it to those histories written by conservative men (Kahn is a woman and a Sufi, which allows for a far different perspective). Try it, if you can. Although Khadija and Aisha are the most well known, the others are equally interesting.

message 49: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 46 comments Sylvia, I studied at JTS in New York, where they offered both Akkadian and Ugaritic. I took Syriac for a semester but never did tackle the other two (to complete the DHL, I would have needed one or the other, but I sort of "burned out" and it stopped being fun for a while.) It was an incredible education and I'm thinking about going back to audit some more courses.

You are right about Esther, the book (the original, not the NL version, LOL!) is a cornucopia of detail and color. It is really great fun to read in Hebrew, with the occasional word in Persian thrown in (a real teeth-cracking language!)

message 50: by Barbara (last edited Dec 12, 2011 09:52PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2132 comments Thanks Ayah, for the Tamam Kahn info.

« previous 1 3