Manga Book Club discussion

Other > Manga News

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Starbubbles | 871 comments Mod
It has come to my attention that we need a place to post breaking news about sales, releases, and whatnot.

So, post your news here!

message 2: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Borders is closing many of their stores throughout the nation. Their manga is at least 20% off right now

message 3: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Rossy's breaking news!

"Don't know where this could be posted but; For the entire month of March VIZ Manga is having a $0.99 sale on all Vol. 1's (normally $4.99) on sale through the VIZ Manga App for the iPad!"

(this post inspired this thread)

message 4: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Blockbuster is closing their stores (or at least many of them), so stop by to pick up some cheap anime while it's still there

message 5: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

message 6: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited Mar 23, 2011 05:09PM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "Sailor Moon News
http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/..."

Sadly X/1999 was bigger news to me than Bishōjo Senshi Sērā Mūn will be. Although don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to both, but I've already read most of Sailor Moon so it would just be the fun of re-reading which is never as fun as the first time.

message 7: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments Ok Tetsu, I'll bite, what news about X/1999 have you heard?

message 8: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited Mar 23, 2011 11:03PM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Lear wrote: "Ok Tetsu, I'll bite, what news about X/1999 have you heard?"

In the blog Starbubbles mentioned it stated in the first paragraph:
Everything old is new again — at least when it comes to shojo manga, that is! On March 4th, VIZ Media announced that it would be re-issuing X (also known as X/1999), an epic, eighteen-volume series by CLAMP that’s been out of print for years.

message 9: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Mar 25, 2011 08:17PM) (new)

Tetsu is the Mastermind of this Story wrote: "Starbubbles wrote: "Sailor Moon News
http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/..."

Sadly X/1999 was bigger news to me than Bish..."

i had heard that x/1999 was an incomplete series to begin with. but yeah, i was surprised to see that in the list too. well, half of it was because i didn't realize it was out of print since the comic bookstore i frequent always seemed to have it.

message 10: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited Mar 25, 2011 10:31PM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "Tetsu is the Mastermind of this Story wrote: "Starbubbles wrote: "Sailor Moon News
http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/......"

It only has 18 volumes because the Japanese Government told Clamp they couldn't finish it do to the fact a lot of teens were killing themselves similar to the characters in the series. So blame the Japanese Government. Here they only have volume 4...>_<
Tokyo Babylon(the prequel) is easier to find.

message 11: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

i thought the govt had something to do with it, but i wasn't sure if that was more than a rumor.

really, only 4? it took up such a big section of the shelf. while i never looked that closely, i could have sworn i saw double digits on the spine

message 12: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited Mar 26, 2011 08:38PM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "i thought the govt had something to do with it, but i wasn't sure if that was more than a rumor.

really, only 4? it took up such a big section of the shelf. while i never looked that closely..."

Well there are 18 volumes so that makes sense.
Here we don't really have a book store, and the comic book store is more American and British comics.
So I can only find volume 4, used at that.

message 13: by Lear (last edited Mar 31, 2011 09:38PM) (new)

Lear | 56 comments What suicides? The only reference to suicide and X/1999 i could find was Suicide Dolls and TV Tropes.

What I've always heard was it was too much like what was actually happening.
With events such as the Hanshin earthquake(otherwise know as Kobe earthquake) and the Sakakibara incident, which caused social unrest, many people found it hard to read X, as its contents reminded them of the tragedies they just went through.
Press release I stole that from.

message 14: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited Apr 01, 2011 06:13AM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) "It premiered in Monthly Asuka's May 1992 issue and ran there until the magazine's editors showed concern with the increasingly violent stories and the series went on long-term hiatus in March 2003."

So there are many different reasons.
But Social Unrest has never ended a manga before...and tragedies seem to multiply during those times, so I doubt that that was the only reason. Besides even people who go through horrid tragedies will still read a tragedy with a different light.

message 15: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Apr 05, 2011 07:39PM) (new)

I just read some gross news from the Tokyopop Newsletter, Lady Gaga is to play Usagi in new Sailor Moon release. ew. While I enjoy a good portion of her songs, and often find her videos comical, I cringed when I read that.

Lady Gaga to star in upcoming Sailor Moon film!

Almost 14 years after TOKYOPOP introduced Sailor Moon to the USA, we are bringing Sailor Moon back ... to the big screen! Sailor Moon: The Movie is scheduled to hit theatres in fall 2012 ... starring Lady Gaga in the title role!

Pre-production has already started and other cast members will be announced soon. (No promises, but wouldn't a certain Mr. Justin Bieber be a DREAMY Tuxedo Mask?!)

In addition to starring in the lead role, Lady Gaga will record a full length soundtrack that will be released simultaneously with the movie. It will feature some of the original Sailor Moon songs from the anime series, mixed with new original Lady Gaga music. Stay tuned for more information on Sailor Moon: The Movie, as the official website with trailer will release next month!

The Gags as Bunny ... Can you even stand it???!!!!!

On a yummy sidenote, Hetalia will be on some pasta. Yummy!

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) To bad Lady Gaga's only really good music is when she sings like a normal person.
>_> But my problem is she sounds too old to be playing a 14 year old.

message 17: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

To top it off, they had a picture of her in the outfit. I could have gagged. But, I rarely see a person who can actually pull off the look without looking awkward

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "To top it off, they had a picture of her in the outfit. I could have gagged. But, I rarely see a person who can actually pull off the look without looking awkward"

True, that appearance can only be pulled off by an anime character.

message 19: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

haha!
so true!
i'm just hoping sailor moon isn't ruined by them trying to draw in people with "star" power

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "haha!
so true!
i'm just hoping sailor moon isn't ruined by them trying to draw in people with "star" power"

But that tends to be what ruins things.

message 21: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Not having stars? I personally think that sometimes it takes away from the story. You concentrate on the person instead of the story

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Applewood | 4 comments Two bits of news that make me happy. I wanted to get the Sailor Moon Manga but my college student budget can't afford $50 a book. Same goes for X/1999. However, I'm still a sad panda in that no news about Kara no Kyoukai's localisation (anime and light novel) has been seen. At least I haven't picked up any on it.

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "Not having stars? I personally think that sometimes it takes away from the story. You concentrate on the person instead of the story"

I meant having 'star' power ruins it, picking people who are just complete nobodies or people just starting out, or even ending their careers makes things a tad better since they would be paying attention to the plot.

message 24: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

I agree. But if they do a good job, I guess I can't complain. Howl's Moving Castle would be a good example of it turning out okay. Well, that is for everyone but Bale. I just keep thinking Batman when he talks.

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "I agree. But if they do a good job, I guess I can't complain. Howl's Moving Castle would be a good example of it turning out okay. Well, that is for everyone but Bale. I just keep thinking Batma..."

I cringe when ever he talks since I believe in only one true voice for Batman and that is Kevin Conroy, just like the only Joker I really like is played by Mark Hamill...that or I'm admitting that I only like the Animated Series, Comics(Mainly the Hush series) and Video Games.

A side from that, yes it fits at times, it is also fun to after a feature(or during) to figure out a voice, like it took me a while to realize it was Tim Curry playing the Cat King in The Cat Returns. It is best when you can't tell who an actor is until your looking at the credits at the end of the movie.

message 26: by Contrary (last edited May 02, 2011 07:02PM) (new)

Contrary (that-contrarian-librarian) Heh the Lady Gaga/J Biebs thing was funny--especially the people who believed it. But don't forget that as well as Sailor Moon, Codename: Sailor V is being released in English for the first time...

I personally thought the Howl/Bale thing was awesome. It actually took me about the first twenty minutes to realize who that voice sounded like. Hahaha!

And isn't there a new Spice and Wolf coming up? I heard something about that...

message 27: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited May 04, 2011 02:12PM) (new)

Tokyopop is having a garage sale Saturday from 10-noon. For those in and around the LA area, it'll be a great chance to grab some merchandise.

They'll be closing their North American operations by the end of May. From what I understand, international operations will take place in Germany.

message 28: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Oh!
Free Comic Book Day is this Saturday, May 7th.
Head to your local participating comic book store from some fun freebies!

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "Oh!
Free Comic Book Day is this Saturday, May 7th.
Head to your local participating comic book store from some fun freebies!"

That's what I'm looking forward to. ^-^

message 30: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 42 comments Starbubbles wrote: "Tokyopop is having a garage sale Saturday from 10-noon. For those in and around the LA area, it'll be a great chance to grab some merchandise.

They'll be closing their North American operations..."

*sigh* It would have been good if i lived there, just for that!

message 31: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited May 04, 2011 06:37PM) (new)

Let's play news catch-up!

Trigun Movie News:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/...

Chobits to be released on DVD/Blu Ray May 10th.

Omnibus Editions to be released this Summer:
Naruto
Kekkaishi
Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press...

Digital Manga Guild now has almost 500 titles
http://www.dmpbooks.com/blog/1042/dmg...

Yen Press has an iPad app!
http://www.yenpress.com/2011/01/ipad-...

Fun Read
Manga is Good For You
http://graphic-novels-manga.suvudu.co...

A Year of Manga
-if I were more coordinated, we could do something like this. *sigh*
http://suvudu.com/tag/365-days-of-manga

April New York Times Best Sellers: Manga
Naruto, vol. 50 (yes that's right, #5-0!)
YU-GI-OH! GX, vol. 6
Bleach, vol. 34
Black Butler, vol. 4
Soul Eater, vol. 5
Black Bird, vol. 7
Hetalia Axis, vol. 2
Death Note Black, vol. 1
Dogs, vol. 2
Black Butler, vol. 1
Maximum Ride, vol. 1
K-ON!, vol 2
Rosario + Vampire: Season II, vol 4
Skip Beat!, vol 23
Blue Exorcist, vol 1
Dengeki Daisy, vol 4
Stepping on Roses, vol 5
Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, vol 1
Nura, vol 2

message 32: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited May 04, 2011 07:32PM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "April New York Times Best Sellers: Manga
Naruto, vol. 50 (yes that's right, #5-0!)
YU-GI-OH! GX, vol. 6
Bleach, vol. 34
Black Butler, vol. 4
Soul Eater, vol. 5
Black Bird, vol. 7
Hetalia Axis, vol. 2
Death Note Black, vol. 1
Dogs, vol. 2
Black Butler, vol. 1
Maximum Ride, vol. 1
K-ON!, vol 2
Rosario + Vampire: Season II, vol 4
Skip Beat!, vol 23
Blue Exorcist, vol 1
Dengeki Daisy, vol 4
Stepping on Roses, vol 5
Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, vol 1
Nura, vol 2 "

Yay! I have two of those.
Hetalia volume 2 and Dogs volume 2, and I bought Dogs last month.

message 33: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 42 comments Starbubbles wrote: "A Year of Manga
-if I were more coordinated, we could do something like this. *sigh*"

It would be fun to do that, maybe we can select our own books to read for the entire year though. Maybe only one book per series?

message 34: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

That's how Del Rey did it. I thought it was quite impressive.

message 35: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 42 comments Can we do something like that as a group, or should we go for an individual goal?

message 36: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

I definately think we can do something like that as a group! I think it would be both fun and challenging!

message 37: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 42 comments Cool, let me know when you have it set up so that i can start making my list. I'm finally back in the manga/anime mood and want to take advantage of it.LOL

message 38: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

I'm working on the event, I'm hoping to have it ready by next week. It'll be something like you get to pick your own list with a suggested list updated 30-ish at a time too. It should be fun, and slightly more time consuming than I had at first anticipated. haha! I would start compiling a list of books you would like to read, it takes a while.

message 39: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 42 comments I'll do that. This should help me also organize my anime/manga list that i have read or watched too.

message 40: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited May 07, 2011 08:09PM) (new)

yes, it definitely will.

message 41: by Paula (last edited May 21, 2011 11:00PM) (new)

Paula I realize that is has already been posted that TokyoPop will be closing their North American Publishing Division. But I certainly hope that manga is not dying out in America or that more publishers will cease to publish for North America.

message 42: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Well, everyone I know who enjoys manga, has no money. I also know that when Borders closed in my area, manga was one of the tougher ones to get rid of. But honestly, it's tough to compete against kid's lit.

Anyway- I have the same hope, that companies will continue to publish for N. America. Many companies are restructuring how they run their businesses, and we'll just have to sit tight over the next couple of years to see what all this means for the manga industry in America. I can at least say that Tokyopop books should still be available in America for at least the short term. If people keep purchasing, they might re-open a North American branch again to meet that demand.

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Up side is, at least the Canadian branches will be there and a lot of manga is brought from there(but who knows how long that will last...)...>_> I noticed that some of my manga is from a Canadian Branch.

But yeah, it is the same problem here, except it is our stores that aren't getting manga for us to buy and I've had to resort to ordering all mine online which doesn't help the stores.

message 44: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

What really sucked about the stores wasn't that the volumes I needed were hit or miss when it came to being in stock, but was that lame anti-thieft device they put in the covers. I hate those things! They tare my covers, rip holes in my pages, and leave sticky residue that I can't always get off. I understand why they are there, but I don't want a bump in my cover, or worse, damage my book getting it out!

I think my rant went a tad long there.

I thought most of the translating was done in Canada, then was distributed into the US, so it makes sense that there would be Canadian branches.

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "What really sucked about the stores wasn't that the volumes I needed were hit or miss when it came to being in stock, but was that lame anti-thieft device they put in the covers. I hate those thin..."

That might lead to most people not buying books because of those covers. Some companies are not really bright, luckily I live in the small city so we don't have any of those.

message 46: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

I have put back books because of those security devices, not going to lie.

message 47: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

So, as all of you know, this has been an exciting year in the land of books!

Borders filed for Ch 11, and within a year closed its doors for good.

TokyoPop stopped their North American production, and had a short sale of their, let's say stuff.

There is good news if you liked Tokyopop for things other than manga (such as culture). You can still follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
http://twitter.com/TokyoPop
http://www.facebook.com/TOKYOPOP
If you want to read about it:
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2011/04/16...

message 48: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

In case you haven't already heard, Cartoon Network has made a new push for it's anime with Toonami this summer. Once they finish their run with Deadman Wonderland, they will be running Samurai 7. Please look forward to it if you haven't already seen it, or even if you have.

message 49: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) Starbubbles wrote: "In case you haven't already heard, Cartoon Network has made a new push for it's anime with Toonami this summer. Once they finish their run with Deadman Wonderland, they will be running Samurai 7. P..."

I know! I just found out recently how they are airing anime again. I'm so excited!

message 50: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

I don't think they ever stopped all of the way, but it's nice that they are actually blocking off specific time for it again. I think they kept airing Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, on late Saturday nights and sometimes IY at 4a. haha!

« previous 1