Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
This topic is about The Iron King
99 views
The Iron King Discussions > Final Thoughts (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Hey all... now that you are done what do you think? Spoilers are allowed in this thread!


Sleepy Booknerd I actually liked this book a lot, but I really did not like Ash :( He was just so cold and calculating at the beginning (which was fine because you know he is a faery and all) but halfway through the story he does a 180, and is suddenly just misunderstood...I did not like this at all. It just seems a lot of YA novels are going down this route, and I kind of wish this one was more original (romance wise at least)


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked the book and I'm gonna get the rest of the current books tomorrow! I think Grimalkin was my favorite character :) Do you think that Puck likes Meghan? Also what happened to finding that one guy, Paul, who was her 'dad' until she was 6? Apparently she didn't really care at the end... also who do you think planted the changeling in the first place?


message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:56AM) (new)

In my opinion, Ash was okay but i would want Meghan best to end up with Puck. I mean, Puck sticked with Meghan through thick and thin.
and yeah...i get that Ash was handsome and good looking but to me,somehow his character lacks depth.
i wasn't fully convinced with his character but annoyed somehow....maybe because he wanted to kill Puck...or maybe i just like Puck's character a lot and i was disappointed at how the author put him out of the plot scene but instead put Puck onto sleeping mode...


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Did the author leave open the possibility that Meaghan's real Dad would come back in one of the sequels?


Olivia (littledhampir25) | 7 comments Haha i wish i could just come out and answer your questions but i'd spoil all the other books. You just have to read to find out.


message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I know I know I;m gonna get the books today I hope they answer my questions.


message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 10 comments I liked this book, especially the characters of Puck and Meghan. I particularly liked the fact that Meghan is brave and clever and doesn't wait for Ash to save her.

I agree with some of the other comments that Ash lacks depth in this book, although I haven't yet read the next two books to see if his character develops through the series.

At this point it's hard to see why Meghan falls in love with him except for the fact that he's gorgeous.


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Sometimes you fall in love because you think you can save the guy from himself. Not a good reason, but it happens, and most people want a fairy tale ending until they realize that everyday is better with a guy like Puck you can trust.


Sleepy Booknerd I do think Meghan's dad will show up later on. Especially since the witch lady took the memory of him from Meghan. I don't think that will be left alone later on especially since at the end the author mentions Meghan being mad at her mom for keeping him a secret.


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Lacy: Way to read the details. I'm kind of curious about her dad. And I want to know about Robin/Puck too. What about Ethan, think he can be a player in a sequel?


Bdalton | 14 comments Several people at our library had read this book and recommended it - so I was excited that it was this month's choice. I thought the author did a great job of creating another dimension. I liked how the characters moved between the two dimensions. I remember falling for a man like Ash - handsome, self-absorbed, smart, but not warm or trustworthy. The heart doesn't always follow the good advice of the head. I think Meghan recognized that Ash might not be the best for her be realized that she was falling for him anyway. Sometimes it works that way. Good choice!


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm printing Winters Passage but its taking forever because my printer's slow :P


Sleepy Booknerd Sarah wrote: "Lacy: Way to read the details. I'm kind of curious about her dad. And I want to know about Robin/Puck too. What about Ethan, think he can be a player in a sequel?"

I did just read this book recently so it was mostly just fresh in my mind :)
Also I do expect Ethan and Puck to play bigger roles later on. (Or at least I hope they do)
I have the second book now, and I will hopefully start reading it soon!


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Lacy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Lacy: Way to read the details. I'm kind of curious about her dad. And I want to know about Robin/Puck too. What about Ethan, think he can be a player in a sequel?"

I did just read ..."


I hope they do too, I wonder if Ethan really will remember


message 16: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I was surprised by the use of curse words sometimes in the book. When the F word was used I was really surprised. I also thought the use of modern technology like the iPod was neat. I love how a modern object is used in a fantasy novel. It's great!


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments You have very up to date librarians. I've met so many great librarians at my author events. YA Book Club members chose the book, very democratic. My first fantasy book since The Stand by Stephen King (which is really sci fi? ) . Ash's waffling between good guy and henchman was a little hard to believe, but lots of authors are not consistent. Thanks for joining the discussion.


Alicia Finished this book off this afternoon and gave it 3 stars. I really enjoyed the characters. Meghan is one of the more likable heroines I've come across recently and I looooooooved Grimalkin - give me a talking cat and you'll sell me on any book! I loved how his response to any kind of "why?" question was just a nice, succinct "because I'm a cat". Pure awesome. That statement is pretty much the perfect summary of all cat's existential status, haha. I'm definitely team Robbie. Robbie was fun, cute and seems like he'd be good times, without constant angst. Didn't like Ash at all. I can't stand the whole tortured, arrogant being-a-jerk-makes-me-sexy thing.

I thought the beginning of the book was shaky, especially the cliched high school stuff, and I was quite bored with most of the fight scenes/action sequences. I thought they were overkill and became really repetitive and dull. It was a fun, easy read, but it definitely didn't blow me away or anything. I'm starting Winter's Passage tonight, and I already have The Iron Daughter signed out from the library!


message 19: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
It seems to me that this book is for older young adults? Maybe like ages 13 and up. What do you guys think?


message 20: by Alicia (last edited Mar 05, 2011 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alicia Angie wrote: "I was surprised by the use of curse words sometimes in the book. When the F word was used I was really surprised. I also thought the use of modern technology like the iPod was neat. I love how a..."

It's weird, I didn't notice any f-bombs and thinking back I can't remember any, although I'm sure they were in there. I suppose I'm just so immune to them. What I did notice were several casual instances of Meghan being called a b***h - by Scott and I think by several other fey or creatures in Nevernever as well. Personally, I'm a lot less bothered by f-bombs than I am by teen girls being called a b***h. That said, I thought overall the bad language was pretty minor - a few f-bombs in 400 pages is not all that many considering what's in a lot of other books. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Iron King to my 12 yr old cousin who reads voraciously - there's no sex, drinking, drugs, self-harm, so overall it's pretty clean. Of course, how much language one is willing to tolerate is a matter of personal taste and parental opinion.


message 21: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Mar 05, 2011 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Alicia wrote: "Angie wrote: "I was surprised by the use of curse words sometimes in the book. When the F word was used I was really surprised. I also thought the use of modern technology like the iPod was neat...."

Honestly I probably wouldn't remember some of the details I am remembering in the book (like the F-bomb) but I am reading it as my first ebook on the Nook and it lets me make these cool notes as I am reading so I have been taking advantage of this feature! It is great!


Alicia Angie wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Angie wrote: "I was surprised by the use of curse words sometimes in the book. When the F word was used I was really surprised. I also thought the use of modern technology like the..."

Actually just now thinking back I remembered some of the curses were from the changeling Ethan, no? He was cursing and shouting "leave me the F alone" and all that. Lol, I'm not sure whether the fact that the words came from a 4 yr old makes them worse?


Sleepy Booknerd Alicia wrote: "Finished this book off this afternoon and gave it 3 stars. I really enjoyed the characters. Meghan is one of the more likable heroines I've come across recently and I looooooooved Grimalkin - giv..."

I gave it the same rating when I finished it :)
You have some good points as well. I did not like Ash at all either...He just seems like what every "dream guy" in YA fiction is turning into.

What happened to the guys who could make girls laugh, and were just really sweet being the main characters? :(

As for the curse words I didn't really notice them, but they don't really bother me anyways as long as they aren't used every other sentence. In fact it kind of gives the story realism, in a weird way.


Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) This is from my review of the book (I gave it 3 stars):

This book had a very Holly Black-esque Faery world, and it was pretty good. It just didn't stand out to me as amazing because there are just so many "faeries are more devious than you would think" type books. The addition of the Iron court was interesting, and it made a lot of sense, but it just seemed like an element that could have been expanded more.

My favorite character has to be Grimalkin. He's got a certain charm to him, being a devious cait sith. He keeps things interesting with his dry humor and his I'm-a-cat-and-therefore-better-than-you attitude.
Compared to Grimalkin, Meghan Chase is rather un-special. She's half faery and half human, she has all these undiscovered powers, and people - well, faeries - are willing to fight wars over her, but she herself is just not that interesting. She's whiny, unsure of herself, and very loyal, almost to a fault. It's sweet that she's willing to brave the dangers of faery-world to save her little brother, but that becomes more of a plot device than an important part of the character. She falls in love with a Winter Prince that is supposed to send chills down your spine, but doesn't quite manage it. The whole book is a variation on Meghan screaming and someone jumping to her rescue. It got rather annoying after a while.

Overall, it was one of those books that you finish and say, "Oh, that was the end. Okay," and get on with your life. I'm faintly curious about what happens next, but I can live without ever picking up The Iron Daughter.


message 25: by Sleepy (last edited Mar 06, 2011 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sleepy Booknerd Yeah I got the feeling Meghan was a bit whiny in the beginning, but kind of got better, but backtracked when she was around Ash.


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Kindle lets you make notes too, and if you don't have your Kindle with you, you can access your notes through internet under your Kindle account/email address. Does Nook have that access capability too?


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Lacy wrote: "Yeah I got the feeling Meghan was a bit whiny in the beginning, but kind of got better, but backtracked when she was around Ash."

The back and forth with Ash, changing her mind every time he paid attention to her as a female, irritated me a little with Meaghan. I almost felt like the author couldn't decide whether Ash was going to be a good guy or not.
What about Grimalkin? Did you'all feel that the cat was painted blacker in some scenes than others?


Sleepy Booknerd I loved Grimalkin, and it did feel like he was portrayed as a bad guy sometimes. I didn't really mind though because I think it would be interesting if he did turn out to be a bad guy. I mean cats are manipulative, and I think Grim plays that type of role well


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Alicia wrote: "Angie wrote: "I was surprised by the use of curse words sometimes in the book. When the F word was used I was really surprised. I also thought the use of modern technology like the iPod was neat...."

Who felt the f word was not necessary for this story? It sounds like Angie was surprised when it showed up, as I was. Likewise b****h. If the reader is reminded that there's an author when something shows up that doesn't fit, that means the editing needs a little more polish. Those of you with writer friends may hear them complain that editing from publishers nowadays is not as thorough as it used to be "in the good old days." Editors I've had have been amazing, though. For example, they picked up historical references that Daniel as 16 year old in the year 2000 could not have been familiar with.


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments What did you all think of the New Orleans scenes? Have you read other fantasies that are that specific to a modern day place?


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Lacy wrote: "I do think Meghan's dad will show up later on. Especially since the witch lady took the memory of him from Meghan. I don't think that will be left alone later on especially since at the end the aut..."

That idea of trading favors, and giving up a memory was one of the most original concepts in The Iron King, I think. And the fact that Meaghan kept getting surprised by having to make the deals added tension to the story in a very subtle way. What memory would be hard for you to give up?


Sleepy Booknerd Sarah wrote: "What did you all think of the New Orleans scenes? Have you read other fantasies that are that specific to a modern day place?"

I read a bit of Going Bovine last summer, but had to put it down. I did get to a scene that took place in what I think was New Orleans. Can't remember if it was exactly, but it did take place in a modern day setting/city.
Personally love it when fantasy blends into society, especially cities. It makes me feel like the characters are that much more real.


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Grimalkin's sarcasm made him inscrutable, like the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland, and that always intrigues me. I want to know his motivation though, and it wasn't revealed in this book. Maybe in #2?


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Kritika wrote: "This is from my review of the book (I gave it 3 stars):

This book had a very Holly Black-esque Faery world, and it was pretty good. It just didn't stand out to me as amazing because there are just..."


Helpful review, very matter of fact description of the characters and the book's weaknesses and strengths without giving anything away.


Sleepy Booknerd Hopefully there is more Grimalkin in number two, and I agree at times it felt like I was reading about the cheshire cat...Not that I mind :)


message 36: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Mar 07, 2011 03:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Anyone else see similarities between this book and the movie Labyrinth?? Some of the characters... the girl rescuing her brother, and making her way through a maze. Plus the whole Iron Court reminds me of this part of the movie:

[image error]


message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah! that was totally what I was thinking when I read about the "packrats"!


message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele | 10 comments In an earlier post I said that Ash "lacked depth" and
"At this point it's hard to see why Meghan falls in love with him except for the fact that he's gorgeous."

However, now that I've read about 1/3 of the second book in this series, I have changed my mind. I won't spoil the plot of Book 2, but it's suffice to say that Ash because a very interesting character in Book 2. Very savvy in navigating the politics of the Winter Court and a worthy match for Meghan.


message 39: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Olivia wrote: "Haha i wish i could just come out and answer your questions but i'd spoil all the other books. You just have to read to find out."

Feel free to talk about the other books in the Sequel thread.


message 40: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Mar 07, 2011 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Alicia wrote: "Angie wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Angie wrote: "I was surprised by the use of curse words sometimes in the book. When the F word was used I was really surprised. I also thought the use of modern techn..."

YES!! It was from the 4 year old!!! It not that curse words bother me... believe me I curse all the time. But it showed up like 4-5 times in random places. And they were vulgar too... not just a small curse word.


message 41: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Kindle lets you make notes too, and if you don't have your Kindle with you, you can access your notes through internet under your Kindle account/email address. Does Nook have that access capability..."

I don't know... mine is new so I haven't done a lot of exploring.


message 42: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Just finished this book! I actually really enjoyed it. My first book about faeries! I liked it enough to want to read the other books in the series. I think Paul is going to end up being an interesting character later... though it is sad that Meagan forgot all about him. No one wants to forget their parents (biological or not). What memory would I not want to give up... wow. Well this is hard. I wouldn't want to forget any people... mom, dad, sister, husband. As far as memory it would be the day I graduated college.

It is kinda sad that Ethan just gets dumped back in the real world. I mean, we never even find out what happened to him when he was in the Iron Court. What were all those cords stuck in him?

Sarah's question: What did you all think of the New Orleans scenes? Have you read other fantasies that are that specific to a modern day place?

I guess this would remind me of Percy Jackson series. There is a lot of things going on and the normal human's can't see it.. very similar to this book.

I agree that we will find out more about Grimalkin in another book. I loved the cat! I wonder when he will call Meagan to his side and what she will have to do for him? I like how he is only following her around because she is interesting. I can totally see a cat doing that. If I am upstairs making noise the next thing I know the cats pop up and check out what I am doing.


Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Sarah wrote: "Did the author leave open the possibility that Meaghan's real Dad would come back in one of the sequels?"

I kept expecting her Dad (her mother's husband) to be the Iron King but that's not the way it ended. On the other hand, she HAS forgotten something so maybe we'll revisit her 'Dad's' identity in the later books.


Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Sarah wrote: "Who felt the f word was not necessary for this story?"

I don't think you can really expect editors to have much say if the f word shows up in dialogue. After all, that could be part of the character development - showing us something about the character.


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Savannah wrote: "yeah! that was totally what I was thinking when I read about the "packrats"!"

Rats make such great evil creatures. That's what always made me admire the Redwall series my son loved. Loveable rats.


Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Grace wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Did the author leave open the possibility that Meaghan's real Dad would come back in one of the sequels?"

I kept expecting her Dad (her mother's husband) to be the Iron King but that..."


Did it bug you that the memory she lost was not revealed?


Alicia Sarah wrote: "Savannah wrote: "yeah! that was totally what I was thinking when I read about the "packrats"!"

Rats make such great evil creatures. That's what always made me admire the Redwall series my son lo..."


Actually, the packrats are not rats, and definitely not evil. They're called packrats because they hoard objects and never throw anything away, not even garbage, not because they're actual rats.


Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Sarah wrote: "Did it bug you that the memory she lost was not revealed? "

Not really. The story is in the first person so how could she know what the memory was that she lost - she's completely forgotten it. I suspect the author kept this back so she could have something to play with in the books that follow.

When the oracle first suggested that a memory be the price for her help, I suspected that Meghan would lose the memory of her father - her mother's husband.


message 49: by Sarah (last edited Mar 15, 2011 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 56 comments Good idea about the step-father, but if it's going to hurt her, it has to be a good memory, right? Does it bug you when an author withholds information on purpose to build suspense?

It's different than simply foreshadowing without coming to the conclusion, resolution until later. Withheld information often makes me feel like the author has taken advantage of me as the reader. Really brilliant writers always give you enough clues that you could have guessed, if you'd really thought harder, and when you get to the end, you say, oh yeah, that's why that character did such and such. It's a talent/skill that writers work hard to develop. You don't want your readers to say, that's not fair, I had no idea and you simply hid that and pulled up the curtain when you wanted to reveal it. Bad form for writers, really, a cheap trick.


Leigha (leighas_life) I read this book in one day, because I couldn't put it down. I really liked it, obviously and I can't wait to start the second book. I read the free ebook, but didn't really think that much of it. I understand it was just a little filler between books.

I think I'm team Ash for now.


« previous 1
back to top