Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Personalized recommendations > Books in Verse

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) I've read all of Ellen Hopkin's works, and also Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams. This style is hard to find writing in.

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
It is! The book we read.. "I heart you, you haunt me" is similar.

message 3: by Jenny (last edited Mar 09, 2011 02:18PM) (new)

message 4: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) Thank you!

message 5: by Tatiana (last edited Mar 10, 2011 04:46AM) (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Some verse that I have read and liked:

The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones Stop Pretending What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy by Sonya Sones

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise Make Lemonade (Make Lemonade, #1) by Virginia Euwer Wolff True Believer (Make Lemonade, #2) by Virginia Euwer Wolff This Full House (Make Lemonade, #3) by Virginia Euwer Wolff
I loved the first two books of the Make Lemonade trilogy when I was in high school. I didn't like the third one as much, but I'd been waiting seven years for it to be published and after I read it I didn't think the book was worth the wait.

message 7: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Amanda, The Adoration of Jenna Fox is not in verse. It's regular prose.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (snugshelf) Haha wow, I just looked at it again, how did I miss that? I think the short chapters had me thinking poetry or something. But anyway, thanks. :) Deleeting.

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia | 432 comments It's more of MG book, but it's really good
Witness by Karen Hesse .

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (tyme2read) Colberto wrote: "I've read all of Ellen Hopkin's works, and also Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams. This style is hard to find writing in."

Which did you like better, Ellen Hopkin's books or Glimps? I have Impulse down for my challenge but I also have glimps and am wondering which to actually read for the challenge.

message 11: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) I like Ellen's books much better, but Glimpse is very good and compelling. I actually have read most of Hopkin's books more than once, and I don't usually reread books, if that tells you anything. If you ask me, I wouldn't list books to read, just read. I think if you read any of Ellen Hopkins's books, you will fall in love with her writing and want to read more.

Just so you know, the companion to Impulse, Perfect, is coming out this September.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori (tyme2read) Colberto wrote: "I like Ellen's books much better, but Glimpse is very good and compelling. I actually have read most of Hopkin's books more than once, and I don't usually reread books, if that tells you anything. ..."

Impulse it is then. Thank you for helping me decide. I will start reading that one as soon as I am done Looking For Alaska!

message 13: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) Great! I have to say, Impulse is probably my favorite of Hopkins books. In fact, I use it for an acting peice that I do and it does very well at tournaments. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!