English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Pre-August 2012 Revival > Writers similar to agatha christie

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zephyr (new)

Zephyr | 2 comments Can somebody please give me some information regarding authors whose writing style might be similar to that of the queen of detective fiction, Agatha Christie

message 2: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (tehmiminator) | 2 comments I second this, I just adore her but I've read almost everything I can find by her. ♥

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2011 06:51AM) (new)

Zephyr - GREAT QUESTION!

In my opinion - there is some overlap with Dorothy Sayers (our recent book of the month author) but in other ways they're very different. Perhaps my perception of the similarities is that they are both women writers pubishing in the first half of the 20th century?

Also I just found this link: http://www.santafelibrary.org/if.html. It has quite a list if you scroll down the page a bit and I'm only familiar with a few of the authors listed but it seems like more than enough to get you started.

Perhaps if anyone knows about specific authors on the list, you'd like to give a vote for your favorite to help Zephyr know where to start???

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Try Ngaio Marsh.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I came across this link from a member of one of my other reading groups. I hope it helps you find some authors you like. I think you might especially like the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman. Good luck!

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/blog/if-y...

Zephyr wrote: "Can somebody please give me some information regarding authors whose writing style might be similar to that of the queen of detective fiction, Agatha Christie"

message 6: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman..."

I *love* these.

Rex Stout is another one I enjoyed. Nero Wolfe is a great character IMO.

message 7: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 7 comments I've enjoyed the Miss Silver series by Patricia Wentworth. No way are they as good as Agatha Christie, but there are some echoes and I enjoy them. I also recommend Georgette Heyer's mysteries. I've never read her historical romances, but her mysteries are clever and hilarious and evocative of the period between the wars.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Zephyr - I hope you'll come back to the group and let us know if you try any of the recommendations above. It would be great to see what you find and if you like it! Happy reading!

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna | 5 comments I'm currently reading Georgette Heyers Death in the Stocks and enjoying it very much. Similar in feel to Agatha Christie but with a dash of P. G. Wodehouse.

message 10: by Patti (new)

Patti | 1 comments I agree with Jennifer. Ngaio Marsh is the closest I have found.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Just researching a rest of year list for the BotM reading but thought I'd say hello to all. Keep the comments coming!

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina (ChristinaLC) | 20 comments I agree with Jennifer and Patti. Ngaio Marsh is very close to Christie. I also agree with Donna about Georgette Heyer. She is fabulous and funny!

message 13: by Therese (new)

Therese | 13 comments Gladys Mitchell was a contemporary and friend of Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers. I think her books are just as good. The PBS Mystery! program has a Mrs. Bradley Mysteries series that is based on some of these books.

Peter Lovesey writes mysteries that remind me of Agatha Christie's style. For a starter, check out Bloodhounds--it's a mystery about some killings amid a group of mystery fans. It's a fun mystery--plus, you get the extra bonus of reading about the characters discussing the virtues of other mystery styles and authors. Peter Lovesey is great with characters and dialogue--especially in The Circle.

If you haven't read Boris Akunin, you might want to consider looking him up. His books are written in different styles, and Murder on the Leviathan is very much in the style of Agatha Christie.

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina (ChristinaLC) | 20 comments Therese wrote: "Peter Lovesey writes mysteries that remind me of Agatha Christie's style. For a starter, check out Bloodhounds."

Thanks for your comments, Therese. I just found a hardcover copy of this at my local used book store, so I will move it up on the TBR shelf. I've read several other Lovesey books, and they were all good. I'll also check out Mitchell and Akunin; I haven't read anything by either of them.

message 15: by Therese (new)

Therese | 13 comments Christina wrote: "Therese wrote: "Peter Lovesey writes mysteries that remind me of Agatha Christie's style. For a starter, check out Bloodhounds."

Thanks for your comments, Therese. I just found a hardcover copy ..."

Enjoy! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

So do I - keep us posted on what you think, Christina!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Death in the Stocks (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Georgette Heyer (other topics)