Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Forthcoming books for March 2011

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Mar 01, 2011 07:14PM) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

Here's the list of major forthcoming SFF books for the month of March. Please let us know if you're planning to read any of these!

Abercrombie, Joe: The Heroes
Adams, Cat: Demon Song (tp)
Alexander, Karl: Jaclyn The Ripper (Sequel to Time After Time) (pap)
Anderson, Poul: Rise of the Terran Empire (Omnibus) (pap)
Archer, Alex: Rogue Angel #29: False Horizon (pbo)
Barnes, John Daybreak Zero (Sequel to Directive 51)
Bateman, Sonya: The Djinn’s Apprentice (#2) (pbo)
Beagle, Peter S: Sleight of Hand (tp)
Bishop, Anne: Twilight’s Dawn (Black Jewels)
Bishop, Anne: Shalador’s Lady (pap)
Bradley / Ross: Hastur Lord (pap)
Briggs, Patricia: River Marked (#6 Mercy Thompson)
Brown, Eric: The Kings of Eternity (pbo)
Buckner, M M: The Gravity Pilot
Buettner, Robert: Overkill (tpo)
Bullington, Jesse: The Enterprise of Death (tpo)
Butcher, Jim: Ghost Story (Dresden Files)
Butcher, Jim: Changes (#12 Dresden Files) (pap)
Chandler, A Bertram: To the Galactic Rim (The John Grimes Saga) (Omnibus) (tp)
Compton, Stoney: Alaska Republik (pbo)
Crichton, Michael: Airframe (pap)
Douglas, Ian: Center of Gravity (#2 Star Carrier) (pbo)
Drake, David: Master of the Cauldron (#6 Lord of the Isles) (Reissue) (pap)
Erikson, Steven: The Crippled God (Malazan #10)
Feist, Raymond E: A Kingdom Besieged (#1 Chaoswar Saga)
Feist, Raymond E: At the Gates of Darkness (pap)
Fforde, Jasper: One of Our Thursdays Is Missing
Fforde, Jasper: Shades of Grey (tp)
Forbeck, Matt: Vegas Knights (pbo)
Fox, Daniel: Hidden Cities (#3) (tpo)
Griffin, Kate: The Neon Court: Or, The Betrayal of Matthew Swift
Anderson / Herbert: Hellhole
Hobb, Robin: Dragon Haven (#2) (pap)
Hunt, Stephen: The Rise of the Iron Moon
Jayne, Hannah: Under Wraps (#1 Underworld Detection Agency) (pbo)
Johnson, Mat: Pym
Joyce, Graham: The Silent Land
Locke, M. J.: Up Against It
Martin, George R R: A Game of Thrones (Movie Tie-in) (pap)
Matheson, Richard: Other Kingdoms
McDermott, Andy: The Sacred Vault (pbo)
McGuire, Seanan: Late Eclipses (#4 October Daye) (pbo)
Mead, Richelle: Iron Crowned (#3 Dark Swan) (pbo)
Merciel, Liane: Heaven’s Needle (#2 Ithelas) (April 26)
Modesitt Jr., L E.: Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles Conclusion)
Modesitt Jr., L E: Arms-Commander (Recluce) (pap)
Moore, Christopher: Bite Me (tp)
Murphy, C E: Spirit Dances (#6 Walker Papers) (tp)
Remic, Andy: Cloneworld (Combat-K) (pbo)
Rollins, James: Excavation (Republished in a hardcover edition)
Rothfuss, Patrick: The Wise Man’s Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two)
Saknussemm, Kris: The Enigmatic Pilot: A Tall Tale (tpo)
Sniegoski, Thomas E: A Hundred Words for Hate (#4 Remy Chandler) (tpo)
Stross, Charles: The Trade of Queens (#6 Merchant Princes) (pap)
Thurman, Rob: Blackout (#6 Cal & Niko) (pbo)
Turgeon, Carolyn: Mermaid: A Twist On the Classic Tale (tpo)
Vaughn, Carrie: Discord’s Apple (pap)
Weber, David: A Might Fortress (#4 Safehold) (pap)
Wells, Jaye: Green-Eyed Demon (#3) (pbo)
Wesson, Paul S: Gambling with Galaxies (tp)
Whates, Ian: City of Hope & Despair (#2 City of A Hundred Rows) (pbo)
Wilson, Robert Charles: The Chronoliths (tp)
Wolfe, Gene: The Sorcerer’s House (tp)
Ed. Flint: Grantville Gazette V (pbo)
Lackey / Libbey / Martin / Lee: Invasion: Book One of the Secret World Chronicle
Eds. Palmatier / Bray: After Hours (pbo)

Stefan

PS I get this list from a local bookstore, and there may be books missing (e.g. I added the Steven Erikson one manually, which seems like a pretty big omission...). If there are others missing, feel free to mention them in the comments!

message 2: by Kerry (last edited Mar 01, 2011 06:44PM) (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I've got my copy of Twilight's Dawn and River Marked is somewhere between The Book Depository and my PO box.

I'm interested in One of Our Thursdays Is Missing but have it on request at the library rather than buying.

I won't be getting The Wise Man's Fear as I tried reading The Name of the Wind twice and it just didn't work for me. But enjoy yourselves, all you Rothfuss fans; you've been waiting a long time for this one.

message 3: by Ken (last edited Mar 01, 2011 06:46PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Nothing

Crippled God I will wait for Mass Market Edition
Same with Rothfuss, Wise Man Fear.

message 4: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
One book I'm excited about this month is the new Graham Joyce novel. He's one of my favorite authors. The Silent Land is already out in some parts of the world, but just being released in the US late this month.

message 5: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments The book I'm most looking forward to in March isn't on the list: Deathless, the newest by Catherynne M. Valente.

I might pick up a copy of the tp of Shades of Grey, as well.

Whether or not I nab The Wise Man's Fear will depend on how I end up feeling about the first book in the series, which I've just started reading.

message 6: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3150 comments Mod
I will probably pick up the books by Jasper Fforde and The Crippled God is on my list to get, too.

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I thought Ghost Story wasn't coming out until summer. March is much better. Although I've read all the Dresden Files novels in print, I probably go ahead and use Audible for this one. The ebook pre-order price is $14.99. If I can get the hardback for $9.99 like I did Changes, then I'll do that. The one thing I won't do is wait for this one in paperback.

I'll probably use my other Audible credit for March on The Wise Man's Fear if they're prompt about releasing it.

message 8: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments Deathless is the only one for me too; I'll be waiting on the mass market for The Wise Man's Fear.

message 9: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2174 comments Mod
Several on the list that I want to read but will be waiting for the mass market versions - Wise Man's Fear, One of our Thursdays is Missing, and River Marked. I'll probably pick up Shades of Grey in trade pb, and the Robin Hobb.

message 10: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I've got Wise Man's Fear in the mail (preordered weeks ago). I plan to read Heroes someday, but probably via my library. Since I'm just starting the Riftwar Saga for Feist, I may eventually read the Chaoswar series, of which A Kingdom Besieged is the first. And I'm slogging through Malazan so I will eventually read Crippled God but again, not rushing out to buy this month.

message 11: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited Mar 02, 2011 06:32AM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments Wise Man's Fear I will read when the library decides I get to - maybe this month, maybe not. :) I thought Liane Merciel's first book, The River Kings' Road, was all right - I'm interested enough to read Heaven's Needle if my library gets it. I'm also interested in After Hours: Tales from Ur-Bar.

Some others I am interested in, but didn't see on the list on a quick scan: The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse, Teeth: Vampire Tales (Datlow/Windling anthology), Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives, and The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man. Most of those I will get from the library or wait for the paperback release where applicable, though.

message 12: by Jacen (new)

Jacen | 11 comments Have read The Heroes already, am currently reading Wise Man's Fear

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom | 13 comments missing..
Peter Watts : Crysis: Legion

message 14: by Candiss (last edited Mar 07, 2011 09:27AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Another missing:

Son of Heaven - David Wingrove

It's the first of 2 prequels to the Chung Quo series. Corvus is re-releasing the whole series and is kicking things off with these new prequels.

According to the blogosphere, the original series has the 8 books shown here on Goodreads, and then there's the 2 prequels, and the author is working on/planning another 10 new additions. Apparently, it's his time and a good time for China-themed near-future SF.

I don't know that this sounds like my sort of thing; I love China-centric writing, but some of the reviews suggest it's a bit too...if not quite misogynist, then at least dismissive of the female for my taste. But the concept sounds really interesting.

message 15: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2174 comments Mod
Ok, so I was planning on waiting for the pb on One of Our Thursdays Is Missing, but I might end up getting the hardcover after all - hubby and I just reserved tickets to go see Jasper Fforde at our local indie bookstore tomorrow night - maybe I can get a signed copy! :)

message 16: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Awesome, Shel! Have a great time!

message 17: by Ken (last edited Mar 08, 2011 06:10PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Candiss wrote: "Son of Heaven by David Wingrove"

Really!
I loved the series, well most of it, the ending kinda went into a strange sideways weird place.

I didn't find it misogynistic or dismissive of females

A bit of news
Looks like what happened is in the original publication run Wingrove had to make changes to the storyline, and major changes to the final book (hence explaining the strangeness of the final book).
The new publisher and the author have rewritten, modified the books, added more material.
Basically a director's cut of the story

From what I read though its mostly a UK release
I found it on Amazon.ca and was unable to find it at Chapters (canadian stone and mortar store)
On Friday I will take a walk up to my SF store, see if they got it or can get it

message 18: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (hlneb) | 89 comments I'll wait for the MM editions of The Heroes, The Wise Man’s Fear or decent prices for the Kindle edition.
I probably will try Douglas.
I have yet to begin with Erikson and Butcher but it will be done !
So that leaves Late Eclipses for sure this month.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments The two books that came out the 1st of the month have now been added to the New York Times Bestsellers List this weekend. The Wise Man's Fear at #1 and The Crippled God at #12. The link to the news http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/03/fant...

message 20: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (ceodraiocht) | 14 comments Of Gene Wolfe have only read Latro in the Midst and Soldier of Sidon; they were very well written (not action adventure books). I'll check out his Sorceror's House - thanks for the heads up. Will also read Deathless as enjoy Catherynne M. Valente and Murphy's Spirit Dances (#6 Walker Papers) must be there for the fun read.