Interracial and African American Paranormal discussion

Reading Challenges > RC #11 - Minion by LA Banks ... Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Belizean Babygirl (belizeanbabygirl) | 3 comments I've read this entire series and absolutely loved it. Hopefully you all will enjoy it too.

message 2: by ☺~Tina~☺ (last edited Mar 04, 2011 11:07AM) (new)

☺~Tina~☺ (tina007) | 65 comments I'm going to be honest. I struggled through the 1st 2 books in this series. But I'm going to try to stick with it. The 2nd book was better than the 1st I'm hoping that 3 gets even better.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 35 comments ☺Tina☺ wrote: "I'm going to be honest. I struggled through the 1st 2 books in this series. But I'm going to try to stick with it. The 2nd book was better than the first so I'm hoping the 3 gets even better."

I struggled with trying to read the first book. I couldn't get past the dialect. The prologue was so well written that I just knew I was in for a really good read. I didn't make it beyond page 100. However, I'm willing to give it another try.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 73 comments I've read the first 3. It definitely is a struggle to get through the first book but I liked them so far.

message 5: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (hathor422) | 6 comments I have read the first book and wanted to love it because African American females that write in the genre are few and far between, but it took me forever to get through it. I have never put a book down more than that one. Out of all the books I have read, it is one of three that I almost didn't finish.

I have been told by a few people that have read them, the series gets better and I did jump ahead a few books and read The Forsaken, which was a lot better.

I am going to give it another read I think...maybe.

message 6: by ☺~Tina~☺ (new)

☺~Tina~☺ (tina007) | 65 comments Ronnie wrote: "I have read the first book and wanted to love it because African American females that write in the genre are few and far between, but it took me forever to get through it. I have never put a book down more than that one. Out of all the books I have read, it is one of three that I almost didn't finish.
I have been told by a few people that have read them, the series gets better and I did jump ahead a few books and read The Forsaken, which was a lot better.
I am going to give it another read I think...maybe.

I feel the same way. Which is why I don't want to give up on the series. I also know a book is bad for me if I put it down and I REALLY don't want to go back or think about the story.

message 7: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Yeah Minion has such a great idea and characters, but I have no idea how LA Banks was published. It was such a hard and difficult read. I am looking forward to the next books in this series mainly because everybody says this series is the best.

message 8: by Lyn E Love (new)

Lyn E Love | 21 comments I am a HUGE fan of this series, as I have read them all. I will admit, Minion is hard to get thorough. It has background information that is crucial to the story. The books do tend to build as you can see she becomes more comfortable with the series. I do tend to disagree as the I thought the book was well written, if a little wordy. By the end, I really felt connected to the characters and the story.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 73 comments Thats exactly what it was Lyn you said it right the books are well written but yeah definitely wordy It's almost like she just had too much to say and did not want to cut anything out. Like I said before I've only read the first three but as you read more it gets better. I loved Carlos and Damali such strong characters.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 73 comments Oh really thats so cool they had kids? I really need to finish this series.:)

message 11: by Tyhitia (new)

Tyhitia | 33 comments Okay, I need to read this too, but I'm not sure I'll make the challenge. More like after...lol.

L.A. (Leslie) is an awesome person and has lots of writing experience and I look forward to reading the series.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 73 comments Yes, Deva The first book was like a big prologue LOL :)

message 13: by Lyn E Love (new)

Lyn E Love | 21 comments It is the prologue for the next book. The thing is that it builds on each other. Once I got to like book 4 I was hooked and could not read them fast enough. I read the entire series. It is great!

message 14: by Lyn E Love (new)

Lyn E Love | 21 comments Whats going to happen now is you will start to see why all the detail in Minion. The parts will start to come together. You can tell she was vested in the characters and the series. The research alone was monumental.

message 15: by CheeseAssasin (new)

CheeseAssasin (makefetch) | 78 comments I made it through the first three books of the series before I got bored. I'm tempted to start up again.

message 16: by CheeseAssasin (new)

CheeseAssasin (makefetch) | 78 comments That's what I did in the last one I read (I can't remember the title.) I got to a particularly boring patch and started skimming like crazy.

message 17: by Lyn E Love (new)

Lyn E Love | 21 comments Deva, you are right. Something about The Damned just lost momentum. It drags a little from the others. But trust me when I say that it will pick up.

message 18: by Lyn E Love (new)

Lyn E Love | 21 comments WOW! Really?? I loved the series. I will admit some of the books were a little hard to get through, but on a whole I really loved it.