For those who read... discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Honey Hawthorne Discuss.....

But please put SPOILER when you say one.......

Honey Hawthorne Has anyone read Eragon? Or seen the movie?

message 3: by AJ (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Honey wrote: "Has anyone read Eragon? Or seen the movie?"

I'm afraid I have been subjected to both ;)

message 4: by Honey Hawthorne (last edited Mar 06, 2011 05:39PM) (new)

Honey Hawthorne Did you like the book or movie more? I have to say that the book is much better than the movie.

message 5: by AJ (last edited Mar 07, 2011 03:13PM) (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Given the choice, I'd pick the book over the movie, but I really didn't like either.

Far too many similarities to the Lord of the Rings films for my taste.

Eragon = Aragorn
Arya = Arwen

Eragon is a man while his love interest is an elf, therefore they cannot be together.

Plus, Paolini has a habit of throwing around the most esoteric and random adjectives in every sentence.

As you can see, I'm not much of a fan, haha.

Honey Hawthorne I never made that connection....

I really liked Eragon though. You should know I always judge books on the plot, not the way it is written or whatnot. I judge books on how long I think about them after I finish the books and if the story was interesting enough for me.

You should also know I am picky with the books I read so many of them are going to be similar in characters and such.

You should also know that I made this group (partially) so that I would be forced to read books from different genres.

message 7: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) I liked the book. The movie was terrible. Absolutely postitividly terrible. It shouldn't even be called Eragon. It should be called boy with a dragon and they attack a freakish person/ shadow thing. The biggest waste of a dollar ever( I used the red box...) It even less similar to the book than Percy Jackson's movie was. Ugh hated the movie. But I'm dying for the 4th book to come one.

message 8: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) If you want to read different genres, my fav. author for chic lit books is Meg Cabot. If you like the magic powers stuff(which I do) 1-800-Where-R-U and the Mediator are the best. I also liked a book called the Tomorrow Code, but the whole thing was kinda a massive paradox... but it was very good. If you like historical fiction My favorites are the books by Carolyn Meyer and a book called Annie's War

message 9: by AJ (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Klymene wrote: "I liked the book. The movie was terrible. Absolutely postitividly terrible. It shouldn't even be called Eragon. It should be called boy with a dragon and they attack a freakish person/ shadow thing..."

Agreed, that movie was an abomination.

I felt badly for Jeremy Irons (Brom). Every good actor has to have at least one God-awful movie though.

message 10: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) I suppose. I despised how they make it seem like Saphira named her self!!! I hated it with a passion. Plus the egg was WAY to big

message 11: by AJ (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Klymene wrote: "I suppose. I despised how they make it seem like Saphira named her self!!! I hated it with a passion. Plus the egg was WAY to big"

Oddly enough I can't seem to remember what I really hated about it... I just remembered wishing they'd put it out of its misery before it hit the box office.

I think I may have repressed all memory of it (but can you really blame me? haha).

message 12: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) lol, yeah. I completely understand. I saw it at the worst birthday party of my life

Honey Hawthorne Haha. I can't wait for the fourth book either. I keep asking my librarian if she found anything about when it comes out (she is keeping tabs on it for me)

The movie was truly awful. I saw it on the worst plane ride of my life lol.

message 14: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Terrible Movies are watched at Terrible Times. lol

Honey Hawthorne Haha....I'm gonna use that...

message 16: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) how?

Honey Hawthorne I don't know. When a opportunity shows itself I have a line.

Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Say that when someone accuses you of coping there "style"

Ergh i go to a uniform school and one girl accused my friend of coping her style. There are only so many things one can wear! Come on!

message 18: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) That's kinda stupid, calling someone a copy cat when you are required to wear the same thing

Honey Hawthorne I know right?

Honey Hawthorne But we can have scarves and shoes and tights different colors. But like same pants sweater shirt and skirts....

message 21: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) ???? I'm confuzzled...

Honey Hawthorne Like we have to were navy brown black or white. Polo top, skirts that are minimum three inches above knee, any pants but jeans, sweater has to have school crest, etc. But with that we can wear any shoes in any dull color that like matched the uniform. No bright neon sneaks. You can wear those summer scarves, maybe Burgundy tights underneath the navy skirt.

Really we have a basic uniform but people can wear certain things to distinguish themselves. Understand?

There are people who wear whatever and never get caught because the teachers like them or something. Unfair.

Anyway if someone wears a navy scarf and blue tights one day and the next day someone else wears a navy scarf and blue tights the first person would be like "COPYCAT!!! I wore that same outfit yesterday!!"

Or like one day someone wears knee high socks with a skirt and uggs (so u only see the ends of the socks above the uggs) and the next day someone else wears the same thing the first person would say "copycat......"

Capeche? (sp?)

message 23: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) jah, i understand. you get really mad over these things...

Honey Hawthorne YES!!!

message 25: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) *backs away* nice puppy, nice puppy.... no biting.... I won't hurt you...
jk. I understand why you'd be mad

Honey Hawthorne haha yep. it is just plain annoying...

message 27: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Just out of curiosity... what'd you do to that girl?

Honey Hawthorne Well I sorta overheard the conversation in the locker room sooooooo I didn't say anything.

message 29: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Understandably. What's the sense in yelling at someone in your underwear?

Honey Hawthorne Haha, exactly!

message 31: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod

message 32: by AJ (last edited Mar 10, 2011 12:46PM) (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Lol, all right after that... interesting (?) diversion, how would you rate each of the books so far?

Personally, on a scale of 1-5 Stars:

Eragon - 2.5
Eldest - 3.5
Brisingr - 3.0

Eragon

I felt like Paolini's debut was pretty awkward (as most debuts are) and his writing style was blatantly that of a boy in his late teens. As I've already said, I also feel he was perhaps unconsciously attempting to reconstruct the LOTR film series in writing. However, for a very young man it was an excellent start, and he showed a great deal of promise.

Eldest

Eldest was a major improvement on Eragon, and I was admittedly impressed by Paolini's rapid progression as a writer. The story was more interesting and original (albeit extremely long). However, he regressed back to his LOTR emulation once Eragon spent time in the Elvin Forest.

The city of Ellesmera is far too reminiscent of Lothlorien from The Fellowship. I was initially quite taken and surprised by the originality of Paolini's apparent 'revelation' to have the Elves sing trees into their homes, until I discovered this was yet another hold over from Tolkien. In JRR Tolkien's canon, the universe was sung into existence (by far the most beautiful creation legend I've ever heard). This one might be a stretch, but as I was originally intrigued by this feature in Eldest, I was disappointed to find it wasn't as ground-breaking as I'd imagined.
All in all, Eldest was a sign of Paolini's growing maturity as an author.

Brisingr

But Paolini took a big step back in Brisingr. I was actually somewhat pleased to hear he'd chosen to extend the series, as I figured that with the given trend, Paolini would be coming into his own around book 4. However, I hadn't anticipated he would try to extend the series not by adding new content, but by stretching old content out over four books.

The effect was like what happens when you try to stretch a picture horizontally in MS Word without also stretching it vertically.

Paolini's storyline was left thin and distorted. Furthermore, he did attempt to add in new content, but it was unmistakably random because it didn't actually impact the central storyline. It was like he'd taken this stretched canvas and tried to add in little bits to the picture that hadn't been there before. They were just left jutting awkardly out of the piece, clearly not meant to be there. Paolini's writing style had improved slightly, his desire to insert every obscure adjective in the English language at random opportunities had diminished, somewhat.

Summary

Overall, I view the series like this:

Eragon
Writing style: Amateur
Storyline: Amateur

Eldest
Writing style: Amateur
Storyline: Solid

Brisingr
Writing style: Solid
Storyline: Amateur

Paolini has demonstrated he can write well and he can be original, let's hope he ties both together in the final installation to his series.

Honey Hawthorne Hmm. Interesting points. I would have to agree with you that his writing was amateurish in the beginning, but, even if it is a copy of the Lord of the Rings, I loved the storyline. The whole father/son confusion in the third book made that my favorite. I really love Lord of the Rings so the fact that these books are almost plagiarism makes me love them almost as much as the original. As I've said before (i think) I like very few styles so I mostly stick with those styles.... I am a sucker for these types of books so I can never rate it well...

Also I can't quite remember what happened in each book.....After reading a series I get confused as to when one book stops and another starts.

message 34: by AJ (last edited Mar 10, 2011 02:57PM) (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Haha, I'm pretty ruthless with my ratings.

I go:

1 Star - Abysmal
2 Stars - Pretty bad
3 Stars - Average, I liked it
4 Stars - Quite Good
5 Stars - Life changing

I try to make it extremely difficult to get 5 stars. Only:

- His Dark Materials
- Harry Potter (Most of them)
- Redwall (1/2 of them)

Have managed five star reviews from me.

Honey Hawthorne NOT HG!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr........

I gave 5 to hg.........

OHHH I GAVE FIVE TO A TALE DARK AND GRIMM....VERY FUNNY!!!!!

I got a copy from b4 it was released....the school librarian got it for me...she's got connections...

message 36: by AJ (last edited Mar 10, 2011 07:43PM) (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Lol, Hunger Games I think I gave 3.5 stars (I know I know, please don't kill me ;).

I had a couple issues with Katniss, the writing style, Peeta, and the premise...

message 37: by AJ (last edited Mar 10, 2011 07:53PM) (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
I just searched back through my 5 star list, turns out there's a couple more:

- The Sea of Trolls (not really life changing, but awesome nonetheless)

- Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (by the same author as Redwall, was a major factor in rating)

- The Welkin Weasels (A bit of a trip down memory lane: reminded me (yet again) of the Redwall books I loved as a child)

- Airborn - Kenneth Oppel (Part of my password for every computer came from this book)

- Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare: nuff said)

Still, only 7 series and two plays have managed to grace my 5 star list. I'm happy with that.

Avg. rating for all books = 3.61

message 38: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Hm, you're very critical of books, but you have really good reasons. I haven't really built up my book list yet, but my favorite books of all time include:
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier
Realms of the Gods by Tamora Pierce
River Secrets by Shannon Hale
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
The LIghtning Theif by Rick Riodan
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce
Hawksong by Amelia Atwater Rhodes
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Hunger Games by Collins
Sabriel by Garth Nix
The City of Glass by Johnathan Clarke
Troy by Adele Geras
The Hunter's Moon by OR Melling
Eva Ibbotson's historical Romance novels.
Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore
Harry Potter (duh) by JK Rowling
Forest Born by Shannon Hale
The Little Women Series by Louisa May Aclott
Song of the Sparrow by ?
Most Haddix books
I know it's graphic novel series by I loved Fruits Basket!

I just realized after reading all your reviews that I judge based mostly on plot, but if the writing sucks, then I do ditch the book, I just look up the plot on wikipedia... So these are good books for stories. It's hard to find a book that is written well and has an exciting Story. BTW, I don't like choosing favoritees, so these are all going to be fourish

message 39: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
AWJ wrote: "Lol, Hunger Games I think I gave 3.5 stars (I know I know, please don't kill me ;).

I had a couple issues with Katniss, the writing style, Peeta, and the premise..."

Yeah, I agree about some of the characters. It was almost as if they were bipolar. Katniss just randomly changed from kick-ass to sappy love girl.

message 40: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) You all are awfully critical of the books you read. I just go with the story. I should leave this convo.

message 41: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
I am not very critical, there are just little things that annoy me that keep recurring.

message 42: by AJ (last edited Mar 11, 2011 10:18AM) (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Yeah, I'm not critical per se, I just like to keep my 5-star list really exclusive. To me, it makes those books that do manage to reach that level more special.

I don't think I've ever handed out a 1-star rating, and I might have given out one or two 2-star ranking.

I can almost always find a few redeeming qualities for a book, so usually I'll grant a book at least three stars.

message 43: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) ok. I judge mostly on plot. not writing because I figured that I suck at writing (Which, recently, someone informed me that I don't. This is after I told my self I can never be a writer.) so I don't judge writing unless it really, really sucks. I look up the plot on wikipedia instead...

message 44: by AJ (last edited Mar 11, 2011 07:41PM) (new)

AJ | 61 comments Mod
Ω♂Asa Oblivious♂ Ω wrote: "Yeah, I agree about some of the characters. It was almost as if they were bipolar. Katniss just randomly changed from kick-ass to sappy love girl. Yeah, I agree ab..."

Oh Katniss wasn't bi-polar... she was just bi-winning.

message 45: by Asa, Epic sauce.[Don't ask.] (new)

Asa | 60 comments Mod
True enough.

Honey Hawthorne AWJ wrote: "Yeah, I'm not critical per se, I just like to keep my 5-star list really exclusive. To me, it makes those books that do manage to reach that level more special.

I don't think I've ever handed ou..."

If you want to give out a 1 star rating read Catherine Called Birdy...

I HATED IT WITH A PASSION!!!!

We had to read as summer reading a few years back.......I couldn't finish it. The writing was good but it just didn't click with me. I don't know why....

message 47: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) I didn't understand that book

Honey Hawthorne You've read it????? Ya I just didn't like it at all......

message 49: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (klymene) Yes I have. I thought it'd be like that Royal Diaries books, but it was a fail

Honey Hawthorne It was a fail...

« previous 1