Cozy Mysteries discussion

GRs Links or other Websites > Free cozy (e)books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 01, 2011 02:03PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Who doesn't like a free book? Usually the free books you find online are ebooks in various formats. I thought it would be helpful if we when we found out about free cozy mysteries online, we could share them.

Just a note, even for those that don't have an ereader device (I don't), you can, for free, download programs like Kindle for PC or Nook for PC programs so can still take advantage of the free books available online.

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 01, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

Reposting a link that Kimmie had posted elsewhere in the group. Antiques Roadkill: A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery is now free for the Kindle. Who knows how long it will last. Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001...

Antiques Roadkill (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #1) by Barbara Allan

Antiques Roadkill is the first of 3 novels in the Trash & Treasures series set in Iowa. It's written by Barbara Allan which is actually the writing team of Max Allan Collins and his wife Barbara.

message 3: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Thanks so much for the link. When I typed in the title on Amazon it was $4.47 but your link still said $.00 whooohooooo!

message 4: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Many thanks too!!! I spend so much money on books, etc. that it's like I won the lottery when I can download one for free!!!

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 01, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

You're welcome. However, I just reposted a link Kimmie posted in a thread that was talking about ereaders. I thought (after downloading it myself) that I would put it where it was easier for all to find. If anyone finds or knows of any more, please post them. Not owning for example, a kindle, I don't keep track of what ebooks amazon gives away free to know when a good one comes up.

message 6: by Cheryl (last edited Mar 01, 2011 08:12PM) (new)

Cheryl (CherylsPearls) | 17 comments http://www.amazon.com/You-Cant-Stop-M...

I haven't read it yet but it is free!

message 7: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks Cheryl.

The link is for You Can't Stop Me by Max Allan Collins. I've read him before and he's good. Actually, same author for both free ebooks.

You Can't Stop Me by Max Allan Collins

message 8: by Kimmie (new)

Kimmie (thatkimmiegirl) | 100 comments Thanks Briansgirl for re-posting the link! Amazon has quite a few free ebooks but it seems like the cozies are few and far between. Now if you like Christian fiction you can probably score 1 or 2 free a week. Sadly I hardly ever read that genre.
-Kimmie

message 9: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette (amomwithabook) Would you consider this one a cozy?

http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Ivy-M...

Its free on Amazon too.

Invisible (Ivy Malone Mystery) - Lorena McCourtney

message 10: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 02, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Cozy enough I downloaded it anyway. Heck, it's free. lol Thanks Jeanette.
And Kimmie, I do read some christian fiction romances. I don't know how to scan their free ebooks well because last time I tried on my own, I ended up only finding really old classics that are free everywhere.

My only problem is that I have to read these on my pc. I don't mind reading short ebooks on the pc but it's alot harder when it's a 300+ page novel. I've done it (read the James Potter novels that are all over 400 pages) but it's hard on the eyes.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (whatkreads) Has anyone ever tried Open Library? I just stumbled across the site the other day, but haven't had a chance to really look it over yet.

http://openlibrary.org/

message 12: by ♥ Sandi ❣ (new)

♥ Sandi ❣	Thanks for posting the free Kindle by Max Allan Collins. He lives very close to me and I was not even aware of this novel. Went looking and found it - got my Kindle out and Oops! Battery dead. Plugged in right now will soon download the new book. Thanks again.

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 821 comments Kimberly wrote: "Has anyone ever tried Open Library? I just stumbled across the site the other day, but haven't had a chance to really look it over yet.

http://openlibrary.org/"

Thanks Kimberly! I'm going to check it out ;)

message 14: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I got introduced to Max Allan Collins works through reading CSI novels. I've wanted to try the Trash & Treasury series but just had never gotten around to it. So now I can. :)

message 15: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "I got introduced to Max Allan Collins works through reading CSI novels. I've wanted to try the Trash & Treasury series but just had never gotten around to it. So now I can. :)"

I really enjoy Max Allan Collins' books. I particularly like his "disaster" mysteries. One of them, THE LONDON BLITZ MURDERS, features Dame Agatha as the sleuth.

message 16: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I don't have that one, but I do have his The Titanic Murders by Max Allan Collins to read yet.

message 17: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "I don't have that one, but I do have his The Titanic Murders by Max Allan Collins to read yet."

That's the first one in the series. It's a good read!

message 18: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments After downloading the books mentioned on this site, I got curious and decided to type in "free downloads" into Amazon. Surprise! There were a few listed. Also listed were those books just costing $1.00. I still consider that a great price for a book. You can also check the number of stars a book has and see if you even want to bother!

message 19: by Mary (last edited Mar 07, 2011 05:42PM) (new)

Mary (resort) | 138 comments For anyone looking for free e-books or deeply discounted e-books, Smashwords is celebrating Read an E-book Week now (March 6-12.) My Resort to Murder is discounted 50% during this time, with a good-sized free sample available, which I'd say is a pretty good deal! Check it out if you like at:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 20: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Mullis | 151 comments I’ll be interviewing cozy mystery author Gayle Trent (who also writes as Amanda Lee) on my blog Wednesday. Stop by for a visit with this interesting and successful author. She has also generously given me an e-book copy of her latest embroidery mystery, STITCH ME DEADLY to give away to one lucky blog viewer who leaves a comment! Swing on by www.maureenmullis.blogspot.com Wednesday, March 9th! See you there!

message 21: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (fiberfool) | 38 comments I'm guessing it is not a cozy, but Murder in Passy An Aimee Leduc Investigation Set in Paris by Cara Black Murder in Passy: An Aimee Leduc Investigation Set in Paris if free for Kindle now at http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Passy-Ai...

It is a mystery so it may be of interest to some of us. One of the reviews in the summary calls it a noir mystery.

message 22: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 08, 2011 09:47PM) (new)

Thanks Kristi. I downloaded it.

Maureen and Mary, the self-promotion and giveaway folder is where you should be posted those.

message 23: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (fiberfool) | 38 comments If you managed to snag Murder in Passy: An Aimee Leduc Investigation Set in Paris while it was briefly free and haven't read the 10 titles before it in the series there is now a free companion e-book that summarizes the series - The Aimee Leduc Companion by Phil Gaskill The Aimee Leduc Companion

http://www.amazon.com/The-Aimee-Leduc...

message 24: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks Kristi

message 25: by Shirley (last edited Apr 05, 2011 10:44AM) (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Not free but low cost $1.99 on Amazon for Kindle

I ran across this gem

The Works of R. Austin Freeman: 28 Novels and Short Stories
Dr. Thorndyke Novels:
The Red Thumb Mark
The Eye of Osiris
The Mystery of 31 New Inn
A Silent Witness
Helen Vardon’s Confessions
When Rogues Fall Out
The Jacob Street Mystery
Dr. Thorndyke Short Stories:
The Case of the White Footprints
The Man with the Nailed Shoes
The Stranger's Latchkey
The Anthropologist at Large
The Blue Sequin
The Moabite Cipher
The Mandarin's Pearl
The Aluminium Dagger
A Message from the Deep Sea
The Case of Oscar Brodski
A Case of Premeditation
The Echo of A Mutiny
A Wastrel's Romance
The Old Lag
Other Works:
The Great Portrait Mystery
The Uttermost Farthing
A Mystery of the Sand-Hills
The Kimberley Fugitive
The Mysterious Visitor
The Silkworms of Florence
The Submarine Boat

R(ichard) Austin Freeman (11 April 1862 London - 28 September 1943 Gravesend) was a British writer of detective stories, mostly featuring the medico-legal forensic investigator Dr Thorndyke. He invented the inverted detective story (a crime fiction in which the commission of the crime is described at the beginning, usually including the identity of the perpetrator, with the story then describing the detective's attempt to solve the mystery) and used some of his early experiences as a colonial surgeon in his novels.

The Works of R. Austin Freeman by R. Austin Freeman

message 26: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Amazon just put a number of freebies out for kindle.

This is one of them

50 Ways to Hex Your Lover Wisdom Linda
50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Jazz Tremaine #1) by Linda Wisdom

message 27: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 232 comments Don't you just love those really GOOD books and the taste is sweeter when you've gotten them for free. *S*

message 28: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17753 comments Mod
Could people please remember to LINK to the actual download of the free ebooks, not to the GR description, when letting people know about them? That way others in the group know where to find them without playing hide-and-seek. Thanks! ;)

message 29: by Kaye (last edited Mar 24, 2012 06:01AM) (new)

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) Kaye wrote: "Death on the Aegean Queen by Maria Hudgins

is free at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Death-Aegean-Tr..."

Got it! Thanks - I really liked the first in this series, and downloaded the second last week, so this completes my collection :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments I just noticed that The Spellman Files The Spellman Files (The Spellmans, #1) by Lisa Lutz is 99 cents for the Kindle version. I bought it even though I listened to it on audiobook because I was not fond of the narrator so I think it impacted my thoughts on the book in general.

message 34: by Anne (new)

Anne Pichette | 65 comments Thank you Shirley for posting Dare to Die as being free. I like that series and am looking forward to reading it.

message 35: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Thanks Shirley-I was thrilled to get Dare to Die free!

message 36: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) You are so very welcome.

message 37: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 145 comments it says not avail for those from USA that sucks.

message 38: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Deb wrote: "it says not avail for those from USA that sucks."

Do you mean Dare to Die? I am USA and it was available.

The WisdomKeeper Collection says not available USA

message 39: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3831 comments Mod
I've read that people believe there's a problem with Amazon. A lot of books are not available.

message 40: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 25 comments What about for an Apple IMac or laptop...My husband reads on the ipad. I don't know if I could read a whole book on the computer but maybe I will try on his. But is there a downloadable reader for the Apple as mentioned for the PC?
ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "Who doesn't like a free book? Usually the free books you find online are ebooks in various formats. I thought it would be helpful if we when we found out about free cozy mysteries online, we could ..."

message 41: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) We could what?

message 42: by Reenie (new)

Reenie (reeniejo) | 2 comments Peggy, I think you can down load a Kindle app to read on pads. Check out Amazon.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Peggy wrote: "What about for an Apple IMac or laptop...My husband reads on the ipad. I don't know if I could read a whole book on the computer but maybe I will try on his. But is there a downloadable reader for ..."

Both Kindle and Nook are available as apps on the iPad. They should both be listed on the iPad app store and both are free. :)

message 44: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 25 comments Thanks, I know ipad has it, I was wondering for the imac...never thought to look at the app store. Although they don't always have the same things for the ipad and imac and laptop... case in point Flipboard

message 45: by ❂ Murder by Death (last edited Mar 27, 2012 06:17PM) (new)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Oh, yes! Sorry - Kindle has an app for iMac as well too! (I have an iMac and don't use it to read, but use it to keep track of the few kindle books I own.) Check the "app store" that is on the iMac itself - it will only show apps for the computer in the same way the "app store" on the iPad will only show apps that run on the phone/ipad.

message 46: by Ian (new)

Ian Loome (lhthomson) | 16 comments I'd say Max's first tale basically qualifies as a cozy; it's a whodunnit with no gore, although there's no cooking involved!

Buried in Benidorm:

Cheers and enjoy,
LH

message 47: by Peggy (last edited Mar 27, 2012 08:13PM) (new)

Peggy | 25 comments Yes I just downloaded it to my laptop and imac... I usually do not read on the computer, I prefer the book in my hand. But I did download a free L.L. Bartlett book...the first Jeff Resnik and I do not want to buy it as it is on the ipad... would you or anybody know if you can download a book from the ipad to the imac? Thanks.

Jennifer E. wrote: "Oh, yes! Sorry - Kindle has an app for iMac as well too! (I have an iMac and don't use it to read, but use it to keep track of the few kindle books I own.) Check the "app store" that is on the i..."

message 48: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 2909 comments L.H. wrote: "I'd say Max's first tale basically qualifies as a cozy; it's a whodunnit with no gore, although there's no cooking involved!

Buried in Benidorm:

Cheers..."

Thanks LH, just downloaded it:)

message 49: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 2909 comments Deb wrote: "it says not avail for those from USA that sucks."

It was also not available to us Aussies either:( 'Due to copyright law...'

message 50: by Ian (new)

Ian Loome (lhthomson) | 16 comments Brenda wrote: "L.H. wrote: "I'd say Max's first tale basically qualifies as a cozy; it's a whodunnit with no gore, although there's no cooking involved!

Buried in Benidorm:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1..."

Let me know what you thought of it Brenda. I rather like the character -- have already written a second -- and it will be good to get some critical feedback.

« previous 1 3