Should have read classics discussion

Classic Author Discussion > Dr. Seuss Birthday

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 1864 comments Mod
In honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday on March 2nd, I thought it would be fun to talk about your favorite books by him. My favorites are some classics as well. I love Green Eggs and Ham, and Oh, The Places That You'll Go. I'm sure that I will remember more during the course of the discussion! So happy birthday Sam-I-Am!

message 2: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Great topic. My favorite is Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?. I also love Green Eggs and Ham and Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!. Lots of good bedtime reading!

message 3: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
My all time favorite is The Lorax (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss , I also love The Sneetches and Other Stories (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss , the story of "The Pants with Nobody Inside of Them" is one of family's favorite reads!

message 4: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments My favorites were There's a Wocket in My Pocket by Dr. Seuss , Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) by Dr. Seuss , Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss , and Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss

message 5: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (monkeytamer) There's a Wocket in My Pocket by Dr. Seuss and The Foot Book Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites (Bright & Early Board Books(TM)) by Dr. Seuss

message 6: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I forgot about How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss . How I love reading that to my kids during the Holidays, plus watching the show is great fun. Maybe I just have a soft spot for Boris Karloff!:)

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert (rdowens) Today I read The Foot Book to my students. It is a favorite of mine.

P.S. I don't know how to link the book cover. :(

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 124 comments My favorites are The Foot Book Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites (Bright & Early Board Books(TM)) by Dr. Seuss and Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss . I also like Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. Seuss .

message 9: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Robert wrote: "Today I read The Foot Book to my students. It is a favorite of mine.

P.S. I don't know how to link the book cover. :("

Robert, when you add your comment there is a link above the box that says add book/author, just click on that add it will link you to add covers. Just in case you wanted to know!!!

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert (rdowens) Let's try this.

I read The Foot Book Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites (Bright & Early Board Books(TM)) by Dr. Seuss today with my students.

Okay, that was easy enough. How did I ever miss that? Thanks, Lisa.

message 11: by Lisa, the usurper (last edited Mar 03, 2011 06:57AM) (new)

Sure, no problem! My kids like The Foot Book also!

message 12: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Happy birthday Dr. Seuss! Anybody going to see the new Lorax movie?

message 13: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 153 comments My all time favorite was Bartholomew and the Oobleck, followed closely by If I Ran the Zoo, Scrambled Eggs Super, and To Think that I Saw it on Mulberry Street.

message 14: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Like Everyman, I remember enjoying And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street by Dr. Seuss as a little girl. And I've used Bartholomew and the Oobleck by Dr. Seuss in the classroom and then had kids make their own Oobleck. So fun and messy! As a child however, I did find The Grinch scary and unappealing...I like it so much more as an adult. But my favorites as I stated last year are still The Lorax by Dr. Seuss and The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss . I am definitely looking forward to The Lorax movie.

message 15: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Since this is such a fun topic, I'm bumping it back on top! Happy birthday Dr. Seuss! Hope that everyone makes some green eggs and ham for breakfast this week!

message 16: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 111 comments Happy, Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!!:)

message 17: by Gary (new)

Gary Martin (gmmartinbooks) Dr. Seuss is a legend. I can see his books going on forever! I don't know if I can single out one book as a favorite. Green eggs and ham would certainly be close.

message 18: by Lisa, the usurper (last edited Mar 02, 2013 03:47PM) (new)

I was reading my kids some books today by Dr. Seuss and one of them was You're Only Old Once! by Dr. Seuss and I just started laughing. It is well worth reading this one if you are over the age of 25/30. It will make you chuckle. The dedication says it all-"With Affection and Affliction with the Members of the Class of 1925."

message 19: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 111 comments Sounds great, Lisa! I'm sure your little ones enjoyed it, as well!:)

message 20: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

They enjoyed it, but they could not figure out why mom was laughing so hard at some of the parts.

message 21: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 111 comments Lisa wrote: "They enjoyed it, but they could not figure out why mom was laughing so hard at some of the parts."

Hehe, I'll bet!

message 22: by Gary (new)

Gary Martin (gmmartinbooks) Dr. Seuse's books are meant for children, but they still appeal to adults as well. Just don't tell anyone I said that.

message 23: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Happy birthday again Dr. Seuss! I thought I would bring this back into circulation since we have new members.

message 24: by Sorento62 (new)

Sorento62 | 71 comments Lisa wrote: "Happy birthday again Dr. Seuss! I thought I would bring this back into circulation since we have new members."

Hi, Lisa! Just a few days ago I was voting on all the Dr. Seuss lists here on Goodreads and remembering so many of them fondly. Love the silliness! Browsing Dr. Suess book reviews is fun too.

Some favorites of mine: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Hop On Pop Blue Back Book (Dr Seuss - Blue Back Book) (Dr. Seuss Blue Back Books) by Dr. Seuss
And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street by Dr. Seuss

Oh, and I think Dr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. Seuss is the best book ever for learning the alphabet.

-Sorento62 (Julie)

message 25: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

They are such fun! My youngest son loves One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss . I love it when books span generations!

message 26: by SheriC (PM) (last edited Feb 28, 2014 06:37AM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) Sadly, some of the essential lessons Dr. Seuss teaches are still relevant to mature adults. My boss and I often joke about people who don't realize that the "stars upon thars" don't confer superiority. The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss

message 27: by Marcela (new)

Marcela I was reading Oh the Places You'll Go to my preschooler and found so much wisdom that can be applied (as an adult) when life gets challenging through the different seasons! I love that book!

message 28: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) Marcela wrote: "I was reading Oh the Places You'll Go to my preschooler and found so much wisdom that can be applied (as an adult) when life gets challenging through the different seasons! I love that book!"

I've heard that one read aloud to graduating high school seniors. Every one laughs, but we all recognize it as truth.

message 29: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

How exciting is this!
http://www.gantdaily.com/2015/02/18/n...

message 30: by Sorento62 (new)

Sorento62 | 71 comments Lisa wrote: "How exciting is this!
http://www.gantdaily.com/2015/02/18/n..."

Cool. I will look for it.