Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Has anyone seen ...

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryne (new)

Kathryne (katiehepburn) | 7 comments Tropic Thunder?

message 2: by Kathryne (new)

Kathryne (katiehepburn) | 7 comments Oops. I hit save too fast. I have an autistic son. He really wants to see this movie. There has been a lot of talk about 'retard' related statements in the movie. Usually he doesn't seem to notice such talk, but it might depend on the delivery. Who knows? Josh is pretty stoic. Any comments?

message 3: by George (new)

George | 951 comments well, of course, autistic is a totally different thing, but the thrust of the "retard" comments has more to do with criticism of the various Hollywood movies with principle actors in the role of characters with mental retardation, rather than people who are mentally retarded, and criticism of the actors in those roles, especially the main character in this film, who goes way over the top in his portrayal. much of the film is over the top by intention, so whether or not your son will appreciate the film will depend on his age and sophistication, I would imagine.

message 4: by Kathryne (new)

Kathryne (katiehepburn) | 7 comments He's 19, high functioning. Just guess I'm wondering how offensive, but if he's determined to go, not much I can do. Maybe I'll go with. EEEEEwwwwww.... I don't like Ben Stiller.

message 5: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I wasn't clear enough. No, Ben Stiller's character is an actor who played the role of a mentally retarded character in a previous movie before the Vietnam flick that they're making in this movie. He played the character very broadly in that movie, over the top really, and the movie flops badly (along with his career) instead of being the Oscar level role he had expected. At that's why this movie is so important to him. He has a long conversation with Robert Downey's character as to why his portrayal of the mentally retarded character didn't work. But, my main point was intended to say that the film doesn't make fun of or criticize mentally retarded people, it makes fun or criticizes Hollywood's portrayal of them.

message 6: by Kathryne (new)

Kathryne (katiehepburn) | 7 comments OH, like a parody of a bad method actor which will parallel Downey's portrayal of his 'black' character in Tropic Thunder. I think I get it. Might be funny... So, the point is, they're making fun of actors, right?

message 7: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Kathryne, Exactly!

message 8: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments Kathryne, it's hilarious. See if you only see if for Tom Cruise alone. He did so good!

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) I hope i found a good home for my question.

Any Horror fans in the house?

There's a Romero film i've never seen The Dark Half? I didn't realize that Romero did a King book. I've not read that King book, so i won't be biased.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments absolutely.

it's not bad - if that's the one where timothy hutton is the main character - i remember it felt like it went on a little too long, but other than that i remember liking it - it's been quite some time since i've seen it though ...

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5484 comments Yes, Romero made a film based on King's THE DARK HALF. Its okay, but Hutton can't quite bring off half of the role, you'll see what I mean when you see it. And, like the book, it goes on for far too long.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Thanks for the information. I've dvr'd it and i'm going to give it a try with not-too-high expectations.

BTW has anyone seen American Horror? I think it's very good made-for-tv-series horror.

message 13: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments haven't seen it.

message 14: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments Jim wrote: "Thanks for the information. I've dvr'd it and i'm going to give it a try with not-too-high expectations.

BTW has anyone seen American Horror? I think it's very good made-for-tv-series horror."

I saw the first episode, and I thought it is filmed REALLY nicely, the plot seemed a bit lame. Of course, it was just the first episode, so I won't judge too harshly there.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1121 comments I've never seen that movie